ADHD and insanity - help!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kabili
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

ADHD and insanity - help!

Post by kabili »

a few days ago while browsing the C&F forum, i discovered a website that gave instructions for creating a low D whistle using PVC. i thought to myself, "hmm, that sounds really interesting. i should like to try that some day." unfortunately, in a fit of ADHD, i went on to another page before i thought to bookmark it. now it has occurred to me that this is exactly the type of project my father-in-law would enjoy helping me with - but alas! i can no longer find the website!

does anyone know the site i'm talking about? i suppose it's possible that it was actually instructions for a flute, rather than a whistle, but i'd still be interested. i've searched C&F and the web in general using google, but can't find that particular site again. but i had to have accessed it through C&F or one of the sites the C&F provides links to, because how else would i have gotten there?!

a million thanks to anyone who can help!
I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance
Were it not for making a living, which is rather a nouciance. ~~Ogden Nash
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

This may not be the page you have in mind but the web site of Dennis Havlena has instructions for building many weird and wonderful things including a low whistle made of copper tubing. I suppose there's no reason PVC couldn't be used instead. He has instructions for making a bagpipe with PVC. I couldn't remember his name and didn't have the site bookmarked. I remembered he had instructions for making a kalimba and also a bagpipe so I just typed those two words into Google and his page was the first that came up.

http://www.ehhs.cmich.edu/~dhavlena/

Steve
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

The main C&F website has detailed plans for the "Bloody Hand" whistle, using a Sweetone mouthpiece and copper pipe.

Here's the link:

http://www.geocities.com/dwisely/bloodyhand.htm
kabili

Post by kabili »

SteveK wrote:This may not be the page you have in mind but the web site of Dennis Havlena has instructions for building many weird and wonderful things including a low whistle made of copper tubing. I suppose there's no reason PVC couldn't be used instead. Steve
i have seen that website and i agree it is a good one. but i am most interested in making a whistle out of PVC. i didn't think i could use instructions based on copper tubing, because wouldn't the difference in thicknesses of copper tubing versus PVC make a difference in sound? (good lord, is that a run on sentence or what?!)

jerry freeman, somewhere in my feverish brain, i have associated your name with the thread that originally led me to the website i'm referring to. don't know if you were the original author, or merely made an interesting comment. am i imagining this? have you any idea what i'm referring to?
AngeloMeola
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

Post by AngeloMeola »

http://www.cwo.com/~ph_kosel/flutomat.html

This isn't the site you are looking for but it will help you layout your design. I ignore the embrochure measurement. I just cut the tube a little long and then shorten it until it is in tune with no holes drilled. After that, the hole placement is measured from the end of the tube.

Making a fipple is another matter. I gave up on it and used a Sweetone C. It fits into a standard pvc 1/2 inch coupling if you use some teflon tape to secure it.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Do you remember ANYTHING about the site? A name, part of the url or anything at all. That would help in the search.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
lddulcimer

Post by lddulcimer »

If you are using Internet Explorer, click the button at the top of the screen marked "History". Then expand each web site listed, clicking on the bookmarks until you find the one you went to.

I think that by default the browser keeps about 20 days of links in history. It can be changed manually, but I think most people have the default.

Netscape has the same feature, also called "History" . Just go to the menu at the top and select "Go | History"

Good Luck!
Larry
Peace.
Larry
kabili

Post by kabili »

eureka! well, sort of. after much searching and nearly blinding myself with excessive looking at my computer screen, i've found the site i was looking for. unfortunately, it is for a flute instead of a whistle and it's less impressive than remembered. it's at http://www1.ocn.ne.jp/%7Etuner/esyaku8.html if anyone is interested in some simple flute instructions. i'm much more interested in a whistle, particularly a low D or somewhere thereabouts. (i'd like to be able to practice without waking my husband.) maybe i'll give some of these other sites people have suggested a try. or buy an instruction book...with my attention span at this point, i think i'll need pictures and instructions simple enough for the village idiot. anybody have a suggestion for that? thanks for all your help!
Uncle Jaque

Have you tried....?

Post by Uncle Jaque »

Speaking from experience, ritalin really helps!

Not the whistle - the ADD!

As to PVC - it's interesting stuff to work with, and makes a fair sounding instrument if you can pull it off... but I use it mainly for my potato cannon.

I have made whistles / flutes of all sorts of materials with various levels of success; for every one that is playable, I get about 3 utter failures that have to be junked.
One of my better whistles was made out of a section of discarded ski pole, and I have turned wooden flutes out of walnut table legs picked out of the dump.

Sometimes a fipple sounds and "breaks" between registers just great, while some respond only after extensive tweaking, and some of them just never work no matter what I do to them.

Generally speaking, it is easier to get a decent tone with a flute "ambrochure" hole than a whistle fipple.
If you want a real challenge, try a Native-American traditional "windwall" flute system!

A hole layout pattern that is right on tune and interval might go completely sour when replicated on an essentially identical tube, and I have no idea why.
Every time I think that I have the knack of whistlemaking down pat, I prove myself wrong on the next attempt.

By all means give it a try, and there is a lot to learn right here on the internet. Making simple instruments can be a lot of fun, and they make great gifts for the kids!
hillfolk22

Post by hillfolk22 »

lddulcimer wrote:If you are using Internet Explorer, click the button at the top of the screen marked "History". Then expand each web site listed, clicking on the bookmarks until you find the one you went to.

I think that by default the browser keeps about 20 days of links in history. It can be changed manually, but I think most people have the default.

Netscape has the same feature, also called "History" . Just go to the menu at the top and select "Go | History"

Good Luck!
Larry
I know this is off topic to the thread.

However I love that little history botton. It comes in handy when checking on what the kids have been looking up. A few years ago my curious teen did a google search for lichen. He did not have a clue that I could trace the history.

It made for a mighty fine talking to and setting computer limitations for him. Lock offs come in handy as well.

Kabili glad you found your website. I have done that before. And silly me, did not even think about going back into the history.

Laura
Blessed be the one who retains a childlike heart, for they shall stay young forever.
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

hillfolk22 wrote: I know this is off topic to the thread.

However I love that little history botton. It comes in handy when checking on what the kids have been looking up. A few years ago my curious teen did a google search for lichen. He did not have a clue that I could trace the history.

Laura
Laura, Did you know that you can right click anything in the history and delete it? :o Comes in handy when doing birthday gift and Christmas gift searches. I wouldn't tell your curious teen that though. :D

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
hillfolk22

Post by hillfolk22 »

Yes, I do!

And most likely, He does to. However, hopefully the talk ended his curiosity.

He is pushing 20 now. So hopefully..... ah, a mother's prayer....(fade out in thought)

Laura
Blessed be the one who retains a childlike heart, for they shall stay young forever.