STOLEN FLUTES !!!!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
brendan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

STOLEN FLUTES !!!!

Post by brendan »

Some bad news afraid folks. Just after getting my house broke into and they took my flute case which consisted of three flutes. They where in a black and grey camera case which they probebly thought was something other than flutes.

The three flutes where,

6 keyed blackwood Sam Murray with a rose wood head ( d flute )

b flat keyless Le hart flute in blackwood

f flute in rosewood by Ralph Sweet

They where stole from my house in Glenavy Co.Antrim N.Ireland on 11.8.03 so there is a good chance they could be in the Belfast area which is about 18 mile away. But who knows where they could end up so any body who hears or sees anything I would be very very greatful. I cant begin to tell you how upset I am at the thought of some theif having my flutes ( I can think of worse names to call them ).

Having recently just started to play with the band Croabh Rua, not having these flutes will make things hard for a while, but sure if the great Matt Molloy had his flute stole from his pub I am sure I will just get on with it.

So if any of you guys see them contact me at brendanmulholland14@hotmail.com
or here at the forum, failing that ring me at 02894453886.

Sorry I didnt mean to depress anybody, lets look at the bright side I have the challange now of getting to grips with an other flute.

SLAN...............
planxtydt
antispam: No

Post by planxtydt »

Hi Brendan,

Sorry to hear about this. I will keep two eyes and two ears open incase I hear of anything. :(

David
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Bad news. If I may try to be consoling,
I figure anything from which I and those
I love walk away alive and healthy
is small potatos, given what happens
in this world. Good luck recovering
the flutes.
MacEachain

Post by MacEachain »

Hi Brendan,
that's too bad, I don't go to sessions but I know folks who do so I'll put the word out. At least they're distinctive flutes if anybody should see them.

Best of Luck, Mac
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice but in practice there is.
rama
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

That sucks! Sorry Brendan. I'll be on the lookout.
r
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

That must be terrible for you Brendan,you have my sincere commiserations.
Good to see that you can take such a philosophical outlook and rise to the challenge-though I bet you'd love to strangle the g*t that robbed you!
I hope things work out for the best for you.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
FSnockhart

Post by FSnockhart »

I'm so sorry about the theft. That bites.

I stumbled across the following "stolen <flute> lists" when I was checking out the flute I bought. Presumably your average housebreakers would be more likely to sell the flute than use it themselves, and maybe at least some people might check before buying and then pass the word back to you if your flutes are seen.

http://www.firescribble.net/flute/loststolen.html

http://www.larrykrantz.com/stolen.htm

http://www.d-and-d.com/tinas/stolen.html

I hope you get them back, and soon!
spittle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by spittle »

Boy, that is brutal news! Sorry to hear it Brendan :( Like someone else said - at least they're distinctive flutes (well, maybe not in Ireland). Do either Lehart or Murray number their flutes as an added form of identification?

I know my friend's McGee has the production number stamped on it. Wonder how many other modern makers do this?

Best Regards,
- Ryan
Last edited by spittle on Tue Aug 12, 2003 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

What a rotten thing to happen, Brendan. I really hope your flutes are recovered.

Cara
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

spittle wrote: I know my friend's McGee has the production number stamped on it. Wonder how many other modern makers do this?

Best Regards,
- Ryan
Most do; Hammy hides his inside the head, behind/beneath the cap. My guess, unless the thief is a flute player, he/they will try to unload the flutes fairly soon for cash, e-bay or in some local music store. That's when knowing the make and serial number is important; if any of Brendan's flutes show up on the net, we'll get 'em! :really:
Gordon
brendan

Post by brendan »

Thanks for all the kind words and concern folks, its nice to hear. As far as the numbers on the flutes go the Murray and le hart didnt have one on them but the Sweet flute did but I cant remember what it was. The Murray was funny looking because it had a rosewood head on it that I took of my other Murray flute a 6 keyed rosewood in d. Although they didnt get it or my Grinter It means that I have a 6 keyed rosewood flute with no head but its on its way to Sam the man in Galway where he will put a new head on in the next week or two.

Does any one out there play a Wilkes Pratten model I would like to hear from you or any one that has played one ?

SLAN ...........
brendan

Post by brendan »

Some really great news folks, just received my flutes back this morning and I cant begin to tell you how happy I am. They were found the next morning in a womans garden at the bottom of my houseing development which is in a very quite sleepy village. To cut a long story short the word was out in the village about the missing black case of flutes and when the lady whoose garden they where tossed into heard she got in contact with me and give me them back. They where absolutly unmarked and in perfect condition because of the hard black camera case and after a few tunes this morning they are back to them selves and so am I YEEE HAAA.

The night they where stole I heard them in the house so I ran down the stairs and ran after them so may be in the heat of the moment they dropped every thing and ran. Needless to say in the future I will have the flutes in the house more consealed and not leave any windows open.

So I would like to thank every one here for showing concern and keeping and eye out for me in case that they did show up. So its back to some serious practise now to get that 6 keyed Murray honking again.

Slan
Tradman
Tell us something.: Ready to be a decent flute player again! I took a break of about 17 years and it's been way too long.

Post by Tradman »

Man, I am so happy to hear you have your flutes back again. That's awesome and thank God that they are in the same condition they left you in!

Eric
Eric T
Waycross, GA USA
Dave Copley 6 Key
Ormiston Keyless
Roy MacManus blackwood high- D
Sindt high- D
Various Chieftain Low Whistles
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Considering all that happened, you were quite lucky. It's a rare thing when you get anything that's been stolen back. Congratulations!

Eric
pandscarr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by pandscarr »

How wonderful that you got them back!

Pamela
Little Impulse by Brian Finnegan

...not all who wander are lost...