Foot tappin'

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
hellbound skunk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Foot tappin'

Post by hellbound skunk »

One of the first things I was taught in regards to playing the uilleann pipes was not to under any circumstances tap your feet to the music. The man who told me this was a VERY seasoned piper from Co. Kerry who was taught by one of the Rowesome brothers from a very young age. I have always tried my best not to tap my feet and have been successful at keeping this habit from forming, but every once in a while I see a piper who does this and they are doing a fine job of playing. For example; If any of you have ever seen the Cassidys in concert you will notice that the piper is always tapping his left foot in a very care-free animated manner. I was wondering how many of you tap your feet, or what you think about what I was told about foot tapping.
throw soup on you and wallow in scalding pain as you die until you are dead! big heavy thing falls on body, entrails fly.
Chadd

Post by Chadd »

I am interested in how folks reply to this one since I have spent the last several months training myself to tap my foot while I play.

When I started piping, I had way too much else to coordinate to be worrying about my feet, but I kept struggling with maintaining good rhythm. Back in my singer-songwriter days, Vance Gilbert drilled it into my head that foot tapping is essential to "keeping a groove in the pocket" on an acoustic guitar. I didn't always follow his advice, but when I did, my playing improved in feel and drive. I thought I'd give it a try with the pipes and I'm finding that it has the same effect on my piping. Having another ball to juggle threw my playing off at first, but now I don't have to think about it.

I'm sure that those who insist that foot tapping is verboten have good reason for saying so. Anyone in the anti-tapping camp care to speak up?
djm

Post by djm »

Classical musicians in a formal setting are strictly forbidden from making any more physical movement than is absolutely necessary to play their instrument. Some people in less formal, less professional genres hear this and take it upon themselves that they too must stay absolutely still while playing. The fact that they are not trussed up in a tuxedo, and sitting in front of a full orchestra doesn't quite seem to register with them. Don't step in that, Elmer. It's horse sh*t.

Chadd makes a very good point. Foot tapping can help you keep the beat, and there are some people who very sorely need all the help with timing they can get.

Let's face it, IrTrad music is for having fun, and is anything but formal. Relax and enjoy yourself. Tap, sway, dance if you feel like it (and the drones don't get in your way). If Irish music doesn't get your toes tapping, you are probably already dead and just haven't realized it yet.

djm
hellbound skunk

Post by hellbound skunk »

about 10 minutes after I posted this topic I turned on the TV and watched some PBS. The Chieftains were on with a bunch of bluegrass people, and sure enough, there was Paddy tapping away. His whole left leg was practically hopping all over the stage. I guess you can go either way with this. I ALWAYS tap my feet when i play my whistle or my flute, but on the pipes it seems that i have always restrained myself for doing this because it was what i was taught. Perhaps I will try it at the next session i go to. I still want to hear from those of you who think foot tapping is taboo.
throw soup on you and wallow in scalding pain as you die until you are dead! big heavy thing falls on body, entrails fly.
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

I was taught to "tap your foot with the regulators" - no, not literally - by a Leo Rowsome fan, not that he could play like that. This person was also a good Highland piper, I think they tap their feet with their knees, that silly walk thing they sometimes do. Image
I gave up on tapping anyway, I can't play the regulators at the same time. Too confusing. Also the carpeted floor problem...ImageI can hear Seamus Ennis tapping on lots of tapes, Willie Clancy too. Did Tommy Reck tap his foot? I've seen pictures of him smoking his pipe and playing at the same time. Denis Brooks also "fouls the air" (his own words; he smokes Erinmore, an Irish brand flavored with papaya juice. Foul is right!) as he plays with his never ceasing reg tapping.Image
Paul

Post by Paul »

djm wrote:Classical musicians in a formal setting are strictly forbidden from making any more physical movement than is absolutely necessary to play their instrument. Some people in less formal, less professional genres hear this and take it upon themselves that they too must stay absolutely still while playing. The fact that they are not trussed up in a tuxedo, and sitting in front of a full orchestra doesn't quite seem to register with them. Don't step in that, Elmer. It's horse sh*t.

Chadd makes a very good point. Foot tapping can help you keep the beat, and there are some people who very sorely need all the help with timing they can get.

Let's face it, IrTrad music is for having fun, and is anything but formal. Relax and enjoy yourself. Tap, sway, dance if you feel like it (and the drones don't get in your way). If Irish music doesn't get your toes tapping, you are probably already dead and just haven't realized it yet.

djm
I agree DJM. After all, it's Folk Music and it is passed on largely by oral/aural tradition. Let's all hope that it doesen't all become so formalized that there are "RULES" against things like foot tapping. IMHO The great thing about this kind of music is the informality of it all.

Tap away Skunk. Just keep making music. :party:

-Paul
Mark Byrne

Post by Mark Byrne »

I have absolutely no objection to foot tapping provided it can't be heard. There is a timber floor in the room that is used for the NPU Saturday night recitals and when pipers are wearing hard shoes and tapping their foot the sound produced is clearly audible. Personally I find this extremely irritating and lessens my enjoyment of the overall playing,

regards,
Mark.
corinthia

Post by corinthia »

I've seen Cape Breton musicians tap their feet in weird ways. for example, not just the toe would be going up and down, but both toes and heels of both feet. It looked very complicated to me.

Personally, I don't tap my feet while I play whistle... Just because it is easier not to, and I don't have much trouble with rhythm.
djm

Post by djm »

The Cape Breton fiddlers you mention are actually tap-dancing in a sitting position. They can also tap-dance while fiddling standing. Natalie MacMaster is good example, if you ever get to see her live. This is not just her personal style. She is carrying on the same tradition she was taught, i.e. lots of them do it.

As for tapping on hollow wooden stages at NPU, I am all for it. Flame me if you like, but I really like a bodhran accompaniment to pipes, as long as the bodhran player knows he is an accompaniest, and not the lead instrument. The healthy thump on the floor when a piper taps his foot is a close approximation to this.

Lets not forget we are playing dance music, and Irish dancing has lots of good foot-stomping going on. I have read that when there were country dances, and no wooden floor was available, people would take a door down and dance on that, just to get that good thumping rythm going.

Thump on, dudes! :D

djm
Ted
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

There is a great story, which I got from Liam O'Flynn, of Seamus Ennis, who got on stage to play a set. Just after he got going, the just off the beat sound of a bodran was heard. Seamus stops playing, glares for a bit, and starts up again. After he gets going, the same off the beat booming starts. He looks around for the offender with a look that could kill. Seamus had no time for a novice who could not even keep the beat, butting in on a performance. The offender was not seen so an obviously angry Seamus begins again. Sure enough, here comes the sound of the lagging booming sound. An enraged Seamus stops again and was quickly interupted by the sound man, before he could cut loose with a long list of explitives. It seems a microphone stand on the stage was picking up his foot tapping, amplified it and sent it to the loudspeakers some distance from the stage. The distance from the speakers caused time lag in his own foot tapping to return to him. :D

By the way, I tap my heel while playing.

Ted
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Most of the players I work with tap their heel gently. I find it helpful most of the time, although I can play without doing it, too. It helps others stay with me in a group situation.
boyd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

Tap away...it'll probably help your playing.
We have a CD recording of Robbie Hannan playing here
at a Strathspey in May concert in 2001 and his foot was going most of the time...it doesn't interfere with the quality of the sound...added to the overall ambience.
Live music is so much better than studio recorded stuff....you get more personality coming out of it.

Boyd
piperben

Post by piperben »

Foot tapping is fine
Steam Hammer foot on sensitve floor playing with a delicate harp is no joke! :)
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Here's a picture of me tapping my foot:

And here's on of Kynch:

As you can see, foot tapping is quite common among pipers. It helps me point out to certain bodhrán players where the actual beat is :D

PD.
brianc

Post by brianc »

Good one, PD!

But is that a hole in the sole of your shoe?

:lol: