OT - I'm Being Sued!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bert
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: OT - I'm Being Sued!

Post by Bert »

BrassBlower wrote:...I am being sued by plagiarism.

When I asked him why, the lawyer simply stated that the band had heard a recording of me playing "Morrison's Jig" on the guitar at a session. He claims that the Em-D-Em-D-Em-D-G-D-G-D chord progression I used was the same one Metallica used in their hit song "Enter Sandman". I told him that everyone I've ever heard uses that chord progression on Morrison's Jig, to which he replied, "Maybe so, but your version was the one they heard, and we can go after the other guys later."

He told me I shouldn't feel alone in all this, because they are also suing Green Linnet claiming that their company name resembles "Black Album" too much.
I think someone is pulling your leg. One cannot be sued for plagarism. One can, however, be sued for copyright infringement, which would apply in this case only if you wrote Morrison's Jig (although I don't know how old you are, I doubt this is the case). One can also be sued for performing copyrighted works without gaining permission of the owner and, more than likely, paying the owner a royalty, assuming Morrison is dead and the time span intervening has resulted in the jig now residing in the public domain, this is still not the case.

The paragraph about the suit about Green Linnet being too close to Black Album is very telling. There are too many other names similar: Green Hornet, Black Label, Red Dawn, Blue Mist, Purple Haze, and the list goes on.

Some one is pulling your leg.
If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill themselves...Is it considered a hostage situation???
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Walden wrote:
brewerpaul wrote:Still just a big hoax by BrassBlower, far as I know.
Ah-- I musta skipped a coupla posts in the middle of the thread.... still, Metallica is well known for suing people for alleged/imagined infringements.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
madguy

Post by madguy »

brewerpaul wrote:
Walden wrote:
brewerpaul wrote:Still just a big hoax by BrassBlower, far as I know.
Ah-- I musta skipped a coupla posts in the middle of the thread.... still, Metallica is well known for suing people for alleged/imagined infringements.
Metallica should be sued for calling themselves a band, and for passing the garbage they play off as music.

~Larry
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

madguy wrote:
brewerpaul wrote:
Walden wrote: Ah-- I musta skipped a coupla posts in the middle of the thread.... still, Metallica is well known for suing people for alleged/imagined infringements.
Metallica should be sued for calling themselves a band, and for passing the garbage they play off as music.

~Larry
While I do agree that they seem to be sue-crazy......
I do not agree that their music is garbage.
I like it.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-If true, the silliness of it reminds me of the "Toucans" steel drum band purportedly receiving a cease & desist letter from a large firm's attorneys asking them to cease using the name as it infringed on their trademarked "Toucan Sam" breakfast cereal mascot character. ...Sounds loopy all right....grumble, grr....no more brightly colored breakfast sugar dose for moi... (They didn't comply with the C & D request last I heard)
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

This is supposedly true:

Mark Volman and Howard Kaylen were vocalists for the Turtles, the band popular in the '60's for songs like "Happy together" and "She'd rather be with me." They left the group and went solo, and did some work with Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention. Well, turns out their names had been copyrighted by a company associated with the Turtles, and they were sued for using their own names not too long after they had left the Turtles (presumably because of their association with the Mothers). That's when they became Phlo and Eddie (Phlo being short for the Phlorescent leech).
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Seems to me, something like that happened to The Artist Formerly and Once Again Known as Prince.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

***UPDATE***

After several weeks of trying, I finally contacted Lars Ulrich of Metallica. He explained to me that no such lawsuit existed, and that I was probably being taken for a ride by one of my buddies over at "Flip and Chipple", probably either "Broomfeld" or "The Unrefuted". In fact, he said he was so moved by my rendition of Ennio Morricone's "The Ecstasy of Gold" that he was considering inviting me to open for them on their upcoming tour of Antarctica. I can hardly wait! Will I need a passport? What about vaccinations? I suppose I'd better bring plenty of shorts and t-shirts. After all, it's pretty far south, so I imagine it will be pretty hot.

He says the word "gullible" isn't in the dictionary. Is that right?
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

You mean it was a put on? My gawd, I was organizing
a defense fund....
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

Nice one B B :lol: :lol:
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

Nice one B B :lol: :lol:
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
Henkersbraut

Post by Henkersbraut »

I was rather amused by the 'do not click here' thingie. At least the first time. The second time it was turning a tad boring, and I really cursed myself when I had to click all the way through it once more just to copy the URL to annoy my friends with.

I blame MacIntosh. Can I sue them (or Metallica?) for that? I know someone who has a cat called 'Metallicat', should they expect a call from a US lawyer soon?

(Now I need someone to pull my other leg too, or I'll have problems walking home.)
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

jim stone wrote:You mean it was a put on? My gawd, I was organizing
a defense fund....
RATS!! :x

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

www.golamers.com

(I actually saw one of these on main street the other day and it reminded me that I hadn't been over to the whistle board for a while. :D )
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

WyoBadger wrote:www.golamers.com

(I actually saw one of these on main street the other day and it reminded me that I hadn't been over to the whistle board for a while. :D )
:lol:

Talk about being taken for a ride!

-Galileo