Why does Eb sound sooo cool?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
E = Fb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Why does Eb sound sooo cool?

Post by E = Fb »

I know Dale is not fond of the key of C. My un-favorite key is Bb, but I love to pick up an Eb whistle for almost any tune. I knew the Generation Eb was responsive. But recently I modified a D whistle to Eb, and it's every bit as responsive, and the sound is so great. My guitar-strumming buddy put the capo on and played a couple of tunes with me, and it worked without any effort.
Current stage of grief: Denial
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I dunno, but Eb whistles sure are cool! Love my Abell Eb. Don't have any others at the moment.

Actually, I have a theory, but haven't taken measurements to prove it: I think many makers use D size tube diameter for their Eb whistles, which makes for a stronger bell note and more volume (proportionally). Just guessing though.

Actually, I like flat keys in general, including Bb.

Loren
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Same for me, when I play at home I just love the Eb. I think Eb is the ultimate whistle key for what a whistle should souund like: cheerfulness. It's a "happy" key I'd say, and tunes seem so much fun when played in that key. Maybe it's also because an Eb would be a little easier to play and require a little less air than a D?
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

You're all insane. Or maybe I am. (When everybody else appears crazy, it's probably me.) Eb is the single key that I really dislike (I'm not crazy about F either). It sounds like a sharp version of D. E, OTOH, is the most wonderful key -- there's something cherubic about it. Can you imagine Brahms's first trio in Eflat???

So why do you call yourself E instead of Eflat?
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

chas wrote:Eb is the single key that I really dislike (I'm not crazy about F either). It sounds like a sharp version of D.
I really like Eb. D sounds like a flat version of Eb. :D
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I can think of three reasons (other than Loren's.)
1. Tempered tuning involves compromises that work out differently for different keys and give each a different 'feel.' Maybe you are just fond of how things worked out in Eb. (This assumes that your whistles are all perfectly in tune, though, to explain the difference.)
2. Your Eb whistles are better, or suit you better, than your other whistles.
3. When musicians want to get lift through a cheap trick rather than a clever arrangement, they often change up a semitone mid tune. They might start in, say, D and then go up to Eb at the point where they want the lift. This trick tends to fool the audience into thinking there has been an increase in intensity. If you always played your Eb whistles straight after your D whistles you might experience this effect. The problem with this explanation is that you should get a similar effect when you move up to E and F from Eb. Do you?

Three possible explanations, then. Only the first is likely to stand up to close examination.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Eb whistles seem to me to sound just a tad brighter than their half step lower cousins. Seems that the same breath pressure applied to a slightly shorter air column just gets a bit more volume and maybe some extra overtones out there. I've been tinkering with making some Eb and C whistles using my current body tube and head joint design ( with the gracious help of Glenn Schultz and Thomas Hastay). Conversely, the C's are more subdued and flutelike than the Ds. More tweaking of the voicing may adjust this a bit, but making one head and diameter do all three is a bit of a balancing act. Still, Abell and others do it very nicely.
On a related side note, the famed violinist and composer Paganini was also a rare showman-- in today's world he probably would have been a rock star. When he played the solo part of one of his concertos, he used to tune his violin up a tone and then adjust the fingering accordingly. He got the necessary notes that way, but it made his fiddle stand out from the rest of the orchestra.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
chas

Post by chas »

brewerpaul wrote: On a related side note, the famed violinist and composer Paganini was also a rare showman-- in today's world he probably would have been a rock star. When he played the solo part of one of his concertos, he used to tune his violin up a tone and then adjust the fingering accordingly. He got the necessary notes that way, but it made his fiddle stand out from the rest of the orchestra.
He also used to break strings "accidentally". So he'd be playing a piece that was difficult enough for normal professional violinists, then break a string, then another, and finally he'd finish the piece playing on only one string.

Anyone else have any good Paganini stories?
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

having a craving for a particular key might have to do with your singing pitch, your voice might be in Eb
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

lixnaw wrote:having a craving for a particular key might have to do with your singing pitch, your voice might be in Eb
My singing voice is just plain b :sniffle:
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

brewerpaul wrote:When he played the solo part of one of his concertos, he used to tune his violin up a tone and then adjust the fingering accordingly. He got the necessary notes that way, but it made his fiddle stand out from the rest of the orchestra.
This kind of goes against the grain of us Celtic guitarists, because we usually tune down.
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
brad maloney

Post by brad maloney »

Eb is a good thing, it's got a bright sound. Although they are rare I love Eb sessions. Which brings me to the old pun....

Why where they called De Dannan, they should have been called Eb Dannan.

(You can't keep Frankie Gavin out of Eb & good for him!)
Play Happy
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

Easily_Deluded_Fool wrote:
lixnaw wrote:having a craving for a particular key might have to do with your singing pitch, your voice might be in Eb
My singing voice is just plain b :sniffle:
cheer up! that's a cool key!! some aren't even aware of there singing pitch, so they choose high G :boggle:
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Paganini again-- he was so paranoid about anyone learning his music that he personally handed out scores to the orchestra just before rehearsals and concerts, and collected them immediately afterwards.
His talent was so awesome that rumors circulated that he had made a pact with the Devil in order to play so well. It was also rumored that he murdered a lover and used her entrails to make his violin strings, thus entrapping her soul in his fiddle. He never circulated these rumors himself, but being a consummate showman, he never denied them either...
corinthia

Post by corinthia »

I think a comfortable singing pitch for me is B natural. But B natural isn't really a common key, is it? I've only seen Bb whistles, when I've looked.