Can we have a moratorium?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Roger O'Keeffe
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

It's a fancy swimmin' pool. But you're right that we as good as don't have any because that sort of thing is regarded as nugatory expenditure in the green and musty isle.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
pthouron
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by pthouron »

lixnaw wrote:i knew the word moratorium very well before i opent this post. thought someone on the board died. the word is misused just to lurk everyone into politics again,with the excuse to bury politics but the funny topics all losing again to the so called reasoning.
any post that's OT and where there's no OT in the topic should be deleted.
:-? You lost me there...
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

PhilO wrote:Do we Americans tend to be self-centered? Admittedly. But do we get trashed mercilessly world-wide at least in part due to jealousy and lack of real communication? You bet. It's become chic to trash America and Americans.
Really? How do you know? Maybe you're right but it would at least require the other countries to be more critical of the USA then they are of their own politicians and neighbors. If you are talking about Europe, I have my doubts. Again, maybe you're right. I feel that compared to three or four years ago, though, it has become chic among Americans to view the rest of the world as "merciless America-trashers." (Query: Any idea why that would be the case?)

About the moratorium: I think everyone should resolve to post to whistle related threads more. That would work better than trying to post less in political threads, I think.
/Bloomfield
glauber

Re: Can we have a moratorium?

Post by glauber »

lixnaw wrote:it's a blessin' to forget dreadful thing like politics and what was the other word again :-? :-? :-? :-? :wink:
Recorders?
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

pthouron wrote:
lixnaw wrote:i knew the word moratorium very well before i opent this post. thought someone on the board died. the word is misused just to lurk everyone into politics again,with the excuse to bury politics but the funny topics all losing again to the so called reasoning.
sorry pt, just can't explain it any other way, this is my overall view of this topic.
i believe this board is not meant for to brighten our OT knowledge. knowledge leads to no good of you're not capable of handling it.

OUR OVERALL GOAL SHOULD BE TO BECOME A BETTER PERSON INSTEAD OF TRYING TO BE SMART OR POLITICAL, OTHERWISE WE MIGHT FORGET HOW TO BE FUNNY!! :) edit i finally bothered to open the dictionairy pt, i know the meaning now. to explain my view, it's kinda similar with jerry's in his first post. but i hope i'll forget the word again, that way there's more room for good words and thoughts, never liked secred political code-language :roll:
Last edited by lixnaw on Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon-M

Post by Jon-M »

Good lord, is this a political thread? How did I get here? There must be some kind of mistake. I'm sorry; I've got to leave immediately before I start saying something silly, like "Bloomfield has a point." Back to whistle land. 'Bye.
Jon Michaels
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

lixnaw wrote:
pthouron wrote:
sorry pt, just can't explain it any other way, this is my overall view of this topic.
i believe this board is not meant for to brighten our OT knowledge. knowledge leads to no good of you're not capable of handling it.

OUR OVERALL GOAL SHOULD BE TO BECOME A BETTER PERSON INSTEAD OF TRYING TO BE SMART OR POLITICAL, OTHERWISE WE MIGHT FORGET HOW TO BE FUNNY!! :) edit i finally bothered to open the dictionairy pt, i know the meaning now. to explain my view, it's kinda similar with jerry's in his first post. but i hope i'll forget the word again, that way there's more room for good words and thoughts, never liked secred political code-language :roll:
No problem at all. A couple of points: I think these discussions DO make us better people because of the exchange of different views. I also think smart and political are not bad things (in moderation). Politicians would love nothing better than to have ALL of us be ignorant and apolitical: this way, they could go on about their business completely unchecked...
allezlesbleus

Post by allezlesbleus »

FWIW: I like to read the Inside Carolina bulletin boards about Tar Heel Basketball and Football and those sites got a bit off-topic, like a significant percentage off-topic. The solution was the creation of the Zigga Zoomba Lounge where the moderators would move non-sports threads. Maybe an idea in our situation? The Open Hole Cafe? The End Blown Blowhard Bar? The Fipple Freak Zone?

Y'all dig?

PC

PS--PhilO, did you have Don Rumsfeld write this for you? ;)
PhilO wrote: Do we Americans tend to be self-centered? Admittedly. But do we get trashed mercilessly world-wide at least in part due to jealousy and lack of real communication? You bet. It's become chic to trash America and Americans.
"You think you've cornered the truth, so I point out that you may have missed a thing or two."
--Carl Sagan from <i>Contact</i>
french

Post by french »

anyone who's ever held a moritorium knows that they are slippery.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

On this page of thread titles, I count 12 OT topics, ranging from kids to pets to camping trips to (shudder) politics. Guess what? We're no longer a dedicated whistle BBS - we've somehow become one of the few sites to transcend its beginnings and become a community.

I personally don't feel constrained to read every topic or every post. And if I open one once and find it not to my liking, I certainly don't bother to open it again.

If you don't feel like reading about a topic, don't. If you feel or don't feel like participating, go ahead or don't. But if you insist on reading one and feel that people are being unfair, either share your insights or don't be offended by those who do.

If all we ever did was rehash the same whistle-related topics, I have a feeling that we'd have far fewer long-term members.
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

Chuck_Clark wrote:On this page of thread titles, I count 12 OT topics, ranging from kids to pets to camping trips to (shudder) politics. Guess what? We're no longer a dedicated whistle BBS - we've somehow become one of the few sites to transcend its beginnings and become a community.

I personally don't feel constrained to read every topic or every post. And if I open one once and find it not to my liking, I certainly don't bother to open it again.

If you don't feel like reading about a topic, don't. If you feel or don't feel like participating, go ahead or don't. But if you insist on reading one and feel that people are being unfair, either share your insights or don't be offended by those who do.

If all we ever did was rehash the same whistle-related topics, I have a feeling that we'd have far fewer long-term members.
Chuck,
You've put it in much better and sensible words than anybody had so far. Particularly the "community" bit. Right on target.
Thank you,
Patrick
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

PhilO wrote:But do we get trashed mercilessly world-wide at least in part due to jealousy and lack of real communication?
Trashed in words, and only sometimes--when some others get trashed with Cruise missiles.
It's a wee difference--maybe I'm picky.

Lack of real communication? THERE I agree 100%.

(oops! just being asked to be funny...)

Ok, I've got two news for you.
One is real news, the other Fox news.
What would you like foyst?
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

PC - I don't particularly relish this group in any way, but Rumsfeld may be the best of the lot; scary huh? They are a lot like the framers of our constitution and the builders of our country though - entrenched wealth, slave owners, robber barons, remember that along with all the good stuff. People are always citing the constitution and our forefathers as though it were all positive. As long as we have democracy, we'll have a pretty wild mixed bag, like people stealing elections and the like (but then again I guess that makes them more wily and effective than the other guys, composition of the Supreme Court notwithstanding).

Regards,

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Maybe what we need is a crematorium where all the cheesemakers can congregate.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

the wise men here are the funny guys like roger, jerry&martin, and myself sometimes, but i'm improving, i hope all the rest will too :D
Last edited by lixnaw on Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.