OT: We need a good fight

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

What shall we fight over this time?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:22 am

Mixolydian vs Dorian mode - would you?
6%
Do Brown Susatos suck or is it just the colour?
27%
"Beefoven's Whistle Concerto #4 in Gb" or "The Priest and his Boots", how and why?
6%
Lunasa are not even a little bit Trad probably - discuss (with illustrations)
33%
Just vs Even temperament - why ever not?
27%

Total votes: 33

Switchfoot
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Switchfoot »

Im sorry people, all of these subjects for battling are far to reasonable and actual intellectual (as far as this board goes) subjects

Someones going to think of something more ridiculous then these :)
trisha

Post by trisha »

janice wrote:Martin, that new avatar is just downright disturbing...... :o...especially now that Bloo has changed his.
He has, oh wonderful (I hope).As for Martin, it's just sooo like that children's game - the one where you stick the plastic face bits into a potato. Quirky, yes...disturbing, nah.

Trisha
skh

Post by skh »

"When the Irish discuss their tradition, just get out of the way" - but what do the Irish do when others discuss their tradition?

Sonja
Shut up and play.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

skh wrote:"When the Irish discuss their tradition, just get out of the way" - but what do the Irish do when others discuss their tradition?
Normally, they sleep, since such discussions take place in the US. :P
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Peace, my dear children, peace.

Let's have no fighting in this oasis of love and tranquilty. Remember, "he whosoever taketh up the sword shall perish by the sword." Matthew 26:52. Quell your hatred, stay your hand, delete that flame, and love one another in the name of our shepherd, Dale, the Wisely one.
/Bloomfield
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Switchfoot wrote:Im sorry people, all of these subjects for battling are far to reasonable and actual intellectual (as far as this board goes) subjects

You mean the Andrea vs. her sisters vs. Nigella comparison is intellectual? :boggle: OK, then, how about Spam vs. Treet?
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

BrassBlower wrote:
Switchfoot wrote:Im sorry people, all of these subjects for battling are far to reasonable and actual intellectual (as far as this board goes) subjects

You mean the Andrea vs. her sisters vs. Nigella comparison is intellectual? :boggle: OK, then, how about Spam vs. Treet?
Image versus Image

or

Image versus Image

Last edited by Walden on Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reasonable person
Walden
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

They all look so tasty, I just can't decide. :boggle:
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

I'm a fan of the Watchmen, and I can tell you they don't fall for salads, even Treet.

"Tender pork shoulder blended with sugar-cured ham". Reading this, I don't know if I should turn vegetarian or just kosher. :o
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

Speaking of avatars . . . has anyone listened to Techno-pop music while reading Bloomfield's posts? Those cloud seem to be in perfect sync with my Tori Amos remix of "Professional Widow." Extreamly freaky. It's like watching a music video where nothing's going on . . .just funky clouds wizzing by.
I haven't tried it yet, but I bet I could drink two or three Baily's with coffee, get mildly buzzed and just stare at those clouds until I fall off my chair.
Sounds like a fun way to spend the evening.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
Switchfoot

Post by Switchfoot »

Or we can fight over what to fight about :wink:

Heres another idea: rumble to force Martin and Bloo to switch to normal, non-scary avators that wont cause mamakash to get buzzed or small children to have nightmares
Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

susnfx wrote:I suppose I should explain Martin's avatar, since he changed it as a personal favor to me. I had trouble taking anything he posted seriously as all I could think about were these thoughts arising from a potato.
Susan
You mean you would actually take anything Martin says seriously, potato or not?!?!?!?!? :o :boggle: :o :boggle: :o :boggle: :o
:D :lol: :D :lol:
Switchfoot wrote: Heres another idea: rumble to force Martin and Bloo to switch to normal, non-scary avators that wont cause mamakash to get buzzed or small children to have nightmares
Here! Here!! Let's RUMMMMMMMMMMBLE!!!!! :party:
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Personally I would like to have some definitive answer on whether to learn Irish tunes by ear, or from sheetmusic.
It's a bit hard to do it by ear and since I'm used to playing from sheetmusic on my Baroque recorder I use all the MelBay books I can get my hands on. The little curly things above the notes also remind me where to use vibrato and it ensures I play the songs the same every time; upholding the tradition for generations to come.

cheers,
Mixyy
Martin Milner

Re: Cello with trad music

Post by Martin Milner »

brownja wrote:
olehan wrote: If Jean Redpath can use cello accompaniment to sing Robert Burns, to great effect, then in all fairness, why not allow standing bass or cello to join in a jig? It's a really BIG fiddle, you know.

As long as it's a simple system cello and not one of those infernal boehm cellos.

Cheers,
jb
You're telling me. Last night I discovered my fiddle only plays in even temperament. I've been ripped off.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Switchfoot wrote:Or we can fight over what to fight about :wink:

Heres another idea: rumble to force Martin and Bloo to switch to normal, non-scary avators that wont cause mamakash to get buzzed or small children to have nightmares
If you think Martin's avatar is scary, you obviously haven't seen Martin. Talk about successful plastic surgery! Made his surgeon famous overnight, in fact (and rich).
mamakash wrote:Speaking of avatars . . . has anyone listened to Techno-pop music while reading Bloomfield's posts? Those cloud seem to be in perfect sync with my Tori Amos remix of "Professional Widow." Extreamly freaky. It's like watching a music video where nothing's going on . . .just funky clouds wizzing by.
I haven't tried it yet, but I bet I could drink two or three Baily's with coffee, get mildly buzzed and just stare at those clouds until I fall off my chair.
Sounds like a fun way to spend the evening.
That's interesting about Tori Amos. Actually my avatar is designed to be watched while listening to Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here. And, no, Baily's & coffee wasn't what I had in mind either. :)
/Bloomfield