Alba Whistles 'baby'

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Easily_Deluded_Fool
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Alba Whistles 'baby'

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

I ordered a Bb mezzo/sop’ whistle from Alba, and it’s just what I hoped it would be, loud but with quality of tone. I was disappointed with the volume of a Dixon, especially since I rate the Dixon sop D as the best value for money whistle on the market.

So the Bb is good :) . Very pleased with it, and as always excellent value.

But the whistle must’ve been pregnant when packed, ‘cos when the package arrived there was a baby in it.

A beautiful sop D. Non-tunable, very elegant to look at, and a dream to play. I have no idea if this is a new design, old design or what, but impressive it certainly is.

Stacy sent it ‘cos the Bb delivery was a bit behind schedule, for probably good reasons, and the Sop D was a ‘make up for’.
So A +++++ for looking after customers.

The baby has a back pressure than the between Dixons and Overtons, which means that it is very controllable for octave, so popping up and down e.g. “Brenda Stubbarts” is no problem,
and a breath lasts quite a long time e.g. I can play “Donnybrook Fair” part Ax2 + part Bx1 with one breath and a quick ‘gulp’, does the 2nd part B.
The wind way is an intriguing design, there being no discernible angle on the blade, but the sound is gorgeous.

The whistle is not as loud as a Dixon, but is loud enough – louder than Sweetones etc – and has a very pleasant tone.
Mrs Fools parents were visiting for a few days, and they thought the design and the tone very pleasing, so it’s passed several tests with flying colours.
If you are thinking of going up market, from the 'cheapies', I commend this whistle to you.

It also seems to have adopted me, ‘cos every where I go it’s there.
I might even give it a name :) , and sew a whistle pocket in me jacket for it to travel in Image

Stacy really ought to put a piccy on the site, because this whistle is an unsung gem.
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Good review,EDF. 8)
Stacey certainly is a Honey to her customers,ain't she! :)
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
trisha

Post by trisha »

And when you need a babysitter, just send it over to Montgomery :D :lol: :D :lol: :D

Trisha
Paul

Post by Paul »

I am anxiously awaiting a low C from Stacey. I believe it has a smileyface fipple. :) I can hardly wait to play it!
pthouron

Re: Alba Whistles 'baby'

Post by pthouron »

Easily_Deluded_Fool wrote:I ordered a Bb mezzo/sop’ whistle from Alba, and it’s just what I hoped it would be, loud but with quality of tone. I was disappointed with the volume of a Dixon, especially since I rate the Dixon sop D as the best value for money whistle on the market.

So the Bb is good :) . Very pleased with it, and as always excellent value.

But the whistle must’ve been pregnant when packed, ‘cos when the package arrived there was a baby in it.

A beautiful sop D. Non-tunable, very elegant to look at, and a dream to play. I have no idea if this is a new design, old design or what, but impressive it certainly is.

Stacy sent it ‘cos the Bb delivery was a bit behind schedule, for probably good reasons, and the Sop D was a ‘make up for’.
So A +++++ for looking after customers.

The baby has a back pressure than the between Dixons and Overtons, which means that it is very controllable for octave, so popping up and down e.g. “Brenda Stubbarts” is no problem,
and a breath lasts quite a long time e.g. I can play “Donnybrook Fair” part Ax2 + part Bx1 with one breath and a quick ‘gulp’, does the 2nd part B.
The wind way is an intriguing design, there being no discernible angle on the blade, but the sound is gorgeous.

The whistle is not as loud as a Dixon, but is loud enough – louder than Sweetones etc – and has a very pleasant tone.
Mrs Fools parents were visiting for a few days, and they thought the design and the tone very pleasing, so it’s passed several tests with flying colours.
If you are thinking of going up market, from the 'cheapies', I commend this whistle to you.

It also seems to have adopted me, ‘cos every where I go it’s there.
I might even give it a name :) , and sew a whistle pocket in me jacket for it to travel in Image

Stacy really ought to put a piccy on the site, because this whistle is an unsung gem.
Yep. This is the "Practice D" that Chatty Kathy and Zoob reviewed earlier. Bought one myself and it's become my favorite sop.D, right up there with my Elfsong (although different from it). It is indeed so easy to play and does look great (as all Albas do). And it is a mystery why Stacey doesn't put it up on her site, she'd sell tons of them :wink:
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

Ok the truth will out.
I find nowadays its harder to cope with one of sales, so I have given the sale rights to phil at Big Whistle. :roll:
http://www.bigwhistle.co.uk/shop_result ... ble=2&cat=*
We are pleased to announce the arrival of our new High D Whistle. This instrument is made exclusively for Big Whistle Music by Alba Whistles.

What is so special about the Q1? Firstly for value it cannot be surpassed, to find an instrument of a comparable standard would cost at least double that of a Q1. More particularly this has been designed to play quietly with an easily obtained high end. There is also a freshly designed wind-way system that reduces volume without effecting the ease of playing.

Aesthetically the Q1 is a winner too. Each one is unique with a multi-coloured polyester Albanite plug.

The Q1 comes complete with a Big Whistle Polyester Soprano Bag.

8) Phil and myself have decided to call the them Q1
It is still possable to get them from me! but right now they will not be going on my web site.
:cry:
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

CHIFF FIPPLE wrote:Ok the truth will out.
I find nowadays its harder to cope with one of sales, so I have given the sale rights to phil at Big Whistle. :roll:
http://www.bigwhistle.co.uk/shop_result ... ble=2&cat=*
We are pleased to announce the arrival of our new High D Whistle. This instrument is made exclusively for Big Whistle Music by Alba Whistles.

What is so special about the Q1? Firstly for value it cannot be surpassed, to find an instrument of a comparable standard would cost at least double that of a Q1. More particularly this has been designed to play quietly with an easily obtained high end. There is also a freshly designed wind-way system that reduces volume without effecting the ease of playing.

Aesthetically the Q1 is a winner too. Each one is unique with a multi-coloured polyester Albanite plug.

The Q1 comes complete with a Big Whistle Polyester Soprano Bag.

8) Phil and myself have decided to call the them Q1
It is still possable to get them from me! but right now they will not be going on my web site.
:cry:
Thanks for the update, Stacey. Q1, hey? "Cute One" is more like it!!! :)
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Woo, that Q1 has smooth lines!

The Price puts it in the mid-range category for me in the UK, if I was in the market for a new whistle this would be very tempting.

M
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

Martin Milner wrote:Woo, that Q1 has smooth lines!

The Price puts it in the mid-range category for me in the UK, if I was in the market for a new whistle this would be very tempting.

M
C'mon, Martin... You KNOW you want one.
maribeth95

Post by maribeth95 »

Good Lord!

Those are some beautiful whistles!

A bit pricey for me right now, since I just started whistling this past week, but still...

For those of you who own Alba's...do they play as nice as they look?

So bright....sooooo beautiful...

-Maribeth
"Though she be but little, she is fierce."- William Shakespeare
chattiekathy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

maribeth95 wrote:Good Lord!

Those are some beautiful whistles!

A bit pricey for me right now, since I just started whistling this past week, but still...

For those of you who own Alba's...do they play as nice as they look?

So bright....sooooo beautiful...

-Maribeth
Hi Maribeth,

I have one of these beautiful whistles. I did a review of it HERE . Check it out. I am still in love with mine. :D

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Is there a sound clip anywhere? Go ahead and buy it Martin and record us a clip. This sounds like the new mid range whistle I am looking for. (Need to save pennies for a while)
Ron
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

Well it would seem that Kathy is not the only lucky one, :o as today I recived a Free top of the range large whistle bag :P from Phil at Bigwhistle,
and its realy Lush with lots of room even for a Low C/Bb.
What a great guy Phil is and a pleasure to do business with.
Ofcourse that has nothing to do with the fact that he has sold lots and lots of Q1s :party: a word to the wise though :puppyeyes: I have it on good authority that they will be going up in price in the new year :sniffle: so :wink:
Thanks Phil nice-one
ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&