Is their something better than cork grease for tuning slides

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jmiller
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Is their something better than cork grease for tuning slides

Post by jmiller »

I have been using cork grease on the tunning slides of my metal whistles and under the heads of my cheap whistles. The trouble is, it seems to stick tight after awhile making them not so tunable. Is their something that would work better?
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

If you don't use it, you lose it. Just move the tuning slide (or head) occasionally, and it shouldn't freeze up. Cork grease is about as good as anything.
livethe question

Post by livethe question »

I use silicone grease. I get it from the plumbing supply area of my local hardware store. It's less than $2 per container.

jim
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Uh, excuse the dumb question, but doesn't greasing the slide make it TOO loose? I never grease any of mine and in all truth I have much more trouble with slides slipping than binding.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

If they're getting too tight, try cleaning them gently with 4-0 steel wool, then re-greasing LIGHTLY.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I don't use any lubricant on most of my slides. I only use a thick grease on those that are LOOSE. I use Scotchbrite (same thing as Paul's suggestion of steel wool) on the tightest slides. If you want to lubricate a tight slide, use a thinner grease such as Vaseline, or an oil such as mineral or sewing-machine oil. This should keep them fri=om seizing if that's a problem.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I occasionally scrub down my brass slides with 0000 steel wool and only if necessary and less occasionally a dab of cork grease, vaseline or even chapstick (on cork slides). Never had a problem. Once I had a frozen slide and used vaseline and turning slide to get it working quickly. A new brass Copeland had a tight slide and the vaseline worked great immediately and I never had to use it again.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.