Interesting Comment

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

One of my favorite whistle players is John Sheahan of The Dubliners, although he is more widely recognized for his fiddle playing.
I was reading an article about him recently, and I thought this excerpt was worth sharing with the forum.
John is the only member of the group to have had a formal musical education. He was rather proud of this status until quite recently when an old man in a rural district of Ireland came up to him, following a concert, and said, "Tell me, young fellow, do you read music or are you gifted?"
I'm not trying to rekindle the debate about learning by ear vs. learning from sheet music by posting this, I just think it is a very interesting comment... it has definitely made me think.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
StevieJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Nice anecdote!

In his autobiography Packie Manus Byrne tells a story of his father's reaction to the notion of reading music. He (P's father) had wanted to go to the opening of a new school - this was back in the 1920s or 30s - for which occasion a piano player had been brought in from faraway Derry.

In the end Packie's father couldn't go, but a neighbour told him all about it. According to the neighbour, the woman "could play none" (had no idea). "She had to read the music out of a book!"

Packie's father couldn't believe his ears, and said that if that was the only way she could play, he was glad not to have gone to hear her.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

On 2002-07-31 12:52, raindog1970 wrote:
I'm not trying to rekindle the debate about learning by ear vs. learning from sheet music by posting this, I just think it is a very interesting comment... it has definitely made me think.
The old guys have a way of commenting and saying something quite different from what they mean. It takes a listener with some experience sometimes to really get what they say.
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

Funny, because it seems like all older country people have that talent, Peter.

At family gatherings, I sit at the dinner table with my Dad and his first cousin and listen. Its a kind of banter but just like you say, the wisdom of combined years and experience permeates the actual words, which are quite well-chosen and deliberate. These guys have spent most of their life in our wilderness of NW Calif, chasing cattle, hunting bears and just living rough. I always learn something new from them, usually the subtleties of viewpoints rather than facts.

And their favorite topic? Other old timers from their neck of the woods!! they talk about my GGGpa as though they knew him, though he died in 1911, because he left quite a swath.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

two very interesting anecdotes there!Very timely of Steve to bring up Packie Byrne,from my perspective,as i,ve just recieved packie's album 'Donegal and back'.Although the album mainly comprises of unaccompanied songs,there are five noteworthy whistle tracks.Packie sounds quite different to any other whistler that i have ever heard.In a recent thread about Micho Russell,it was mentioned that Micho's style was very much based on the concertina playing that he heard in his youth in his native county Clare.On strictly aural evidence,and the little i know of Trad. music of Donegal,i would suggest that Packie's playing is probably informed by fiddle music(probably totally wrong here!).On the lovely slow air 'Slieve Na Mban' he makes liberal use of 'trills' as ornamentation.He is pictured on the frontcover playing a generation red top,and on the back he is playing a low whistle-it's a small pic,but looks to me to be an Overton.As the album tracks were recorded between 1964-76,i,m wondering whether Packie had one of the first of Bernard Overton's whistles? Packie is clearly playing a low 'G' whistle on two tracks,which leads me to this assumption.Anyway,his voice is in fine fettle as well,an enjoyable album,and a worthwhile addition to my collection.The sleeve notes mention his biography 'compiled and edited by stephen Jones'- perhaps bro' Steve can give us more info. on Packie's style(possibly on the Itrad forum now!)and verify the i.d. of Packie's 1970's low whistle.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

This thread deserves a bump. I love the two stories, by Raindog and by StevieJ.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Thanks for the bump, Blackhawk. I'd missed this one.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Pretty good.

I once went to a high school band concert. They did a "blues" number. There seemed to be something inherently wrong with reading music to play the blues.

Hey. Wait. Maybe that's what I've been missing from my Irish Trad.
I don't feel it like I do blues. Hmmmm. This may be a new start.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Thanks for the bump, Blackhawk.

Sorry folks to keep harping on about my recent fiddle workshop, but again I see parallels with this theme..

As a warm up to the main event, I played a trio with my father & aunt, my father playing his accustomed viola and my aunt & I on violins. We were all playing from sheetmusic, and I think we did OK, it sounded quite nice after a few runthroughs.

In the workshop, my aunt & I learnt four short & simple tunes in the three basic level classes. At the end of each class the sheetmusic of the tune was handed out, but in the class we were learning by ear.

After the classes we came back to the cottage to try to play them for my family. Without the sheetmusic my poor aunt didn't have a clue, no idea even where to start to put her fingers. I was able after a bit of la-la-ing, to get my fingers moving and play the tunes, if not flowing quite as well as they should be. Even with me playing alongside her, my aunt still couldn't get started without the sheetmusic to look at.

I don't mean by this to illustrate how marvellous I am at catching a tune, or to demean my aunt in any way, but to illustrate the different approaches to music.

The classic way my aunt has been taught, sightreading through a piece and playing it as read vs the more aural approach that I have started to develop, hearing a tune and getting it in my head, and then using the instrument as a tool to play the tune.

Golly, I really sound like I'm blowing my own trumpet, but the point was supposed to be that if you can hear a tune & get it into your head, it's then far easier to then sing, hum, lip-whistle, or whistle it then if you worry about the dots on the page.

Or in short, effort put into looking at a tune is effort lost in hearing it.
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

geek4music wrote:Pretty good.

(snip)

Hey. Wait. Maybe that's what I've been missing from my Irish Trad.
I don't feel it like I do blues. Hmmmm. This may be a new start.
Now you're suckin' diesel!
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Ya thanks Blackhawk I had missed this one also.
I got to thinking about this on another thread yesterday and was trying to anilize my feelings about sheet music and ear.
I have never read music. I`m sure I could learn but I`ve never been interested in it unless I hear something I just can`t figure out. Then for a moment I`m ticked off at myself for my lazyness. Back in the sixties when I was a performing singer/guitar player I only learned songs that I loved. Songs that put my thoughts and emotions more planely then I could. On the guitar I taught myself what we called back then the Travis pick, where the thumb plays the bass part and the fingers play the melody and axcents or what ever. I had at any one time maybe 50 or 60 songs in my head and could easly play and sing none stop for hours. I never played any tune the same way twice I don`t think but played in my mood. Well that was then and this is now. I still have to have the song in my head before it comes out of my whistle, and it won`t stay in my head unless it touches me in some way. I don`t yet know how many I will be able to store in the old memory bank. I find that the rythm and I don`t know timber I suppose are what grab me now oh and how fun a tune is to play. Those slower tunes that I play and some others I know the words to I play because of the words and the feelings they convay. I love to sing through my whistle. Yesterday I was out riding Molly and playing one of my favorite whistles, a Gen Eb, when I saw a little kinda grotto through the trees. It was a pond surrounded by trees and tall grass. So we rode in. The accustics were incredable and the Eb was singing in its more assertive voice. Hank had made a great spot in the grass so I joined him and just played. I learned something about attack and some more ways to ornament and Molly just filled her belly. Further down the road as we rode off she took offence to a couple of cows that jumped out beside us and decided to flat take off. I had to slam the whistle in my back pocket and find the reins and ya man hear we go. I love it when she goes into full speed and usualy let her run herself out. However when she decided that enough distance had been put between her and the offending beasts she slowed to a walk and I dropped the reins and reached for the whistle.
Yep, gone. A quick aboutface but it was nowhere to be found. Only one car went by while we were in flight so someone has a beautifully tweeked Gen. I guess the point is that music for me is a flighty mistress. But it is a living one. I just can`t bring myself into the math of it. No logic hear, move along............ :roll:

Tom
janice

Post by janice »

Thanks for bumping this thread, I missed it the first time around.

Raindog, where did you read that story? I ask because it's a perfect anecdote for the informal music learning/Irish trad study I'm doing this summer. Great stuff.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

raindog1970 wrote:"Tell me, young fellow, do you read music or are you gifted?"
Ouch.
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

janice wrote:Raindog, where did you read that story?
Unfortunately that website seems to be gone now.
I really wish I had saved copies of the great caricatures of the band members from the main page, but I never considered the possibility that the website might not always be there... I'll know better next time! ;)
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

and on the back he is playing a low whistle-it's a small pic,but looks to me to be an Overton.As the album tracks were recorded between 1964-76,i,m wondering whether Packie had one of the first of Bernard Overton's whistles?
Can confirm that on the cover is an Overton. I have seen it last year, he still has it and it is a G whistle made by Bernard. That was a really nice surprise when we found out that Packie played Overtons.

Brigitte
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)