Somewhat OT: The worst Pop tunes of the 50's thru 90s

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
burnsbyrne
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by burnsbyrne »

What's comforting to me is that I don't recognize 90% of these song titles.
Mike
markv

Post by markv »

geek4music wrote:
Chuck_Clark wrote:This whole topic is a cheat and a fraud!

It's limited to pop. Any list of worst songs which by its very nature excludes "Achy-Breaky Heart" is plain BOGUS!

Quite right Chuck. My fault. Let it be decreed that Country Western is also fair game.
If country music is fair game then I would have to submit

"Friends in Low Places" by Garth Brooks.

The fact that the song would encourage an entire bar full of inebriates to sing along as loud as they could is what puts it high on the list for me. Shudder!!

Chas' list of irritating songs matches mine almost exactly. I think quite a few of the songs on the various lists may have been OK until the pop radio stations (soon to be one big Clear Channel station?) here in the US started playing them ad nauseum every minute of the day.

Broken Wings by Mr. Mister was one I liked the first few times I heard it but then it just became dreck after the thousandth time I heard it.

I just remember that during the 80's you couldn't go through more than a dozen or so stations without hearing a Steve Winwood song. He had some classic pukers. Higher Love...AARRGGHH

MarkV
Fairy tales are more than true: not because
they tell us that dragons exist, but because
they tell us that dragons can be beaten.

G. K. Chesterton
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

scottielvr wrote:There is no shame in it... though I suspect you are probably too young to have been subjected to "Disco Duck" and the Bee Gees and... oh, never mind, I'm showing my age. I was in college in the 70s and proudly wore a T-shirt that said "Disco Sucks." Classy.

and...many years ago, on one accursed evening someone held a party in a yard behind the house I lived in. It went on till 4 in the morning, I had to go to work the next day, and they played "Like A Virgin" at least 72,000 times...over and over... it got more and more shrill each time till I was sure my head would explode. It was not a song, it was an instrument of torture. Uh, is it possible I'm not objective about this genre? ... :)
Speaking of disco duck, now, i may be veering off the topic here, but...emm....howard the duck......*puke*
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

OK, I can't resist any more.

But since my CTS is acting up, only the worst of the worst.

1. The aforementioned Achy Breaky Heart. This one qualifies as a defense against manslaughter charges.

2. John Ashcroft's "Let The Eagle Soar". In an ideal world, the eagle would wheel low and dump a load on the singer/songwriter, except that he'd then be arrested by the FBI as an enemy combatant.

3. Anything rap. The entire genre, no exception.

4. Anything disco - basically as unredeemable a genre as #3 but with less vulgarity.
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

I liked Winwood's old stuff when he was with Traffic. "John Barleycorn Must Die" is just plain cool. I agree with you on his later stuff, though.

There's a bumper sticker you occasionally see on old pickup trucks around here; it says "Real Cowboys Don't Line Dance." Good stuff.
markv wrote:
geek4music wrote:
Chuck_Clark wrote:This whole topic is a cheat and a fraud!

It's limited to pop. Any list of worst songs which by its very nature excludes "Achy-Breaky Heart" is plain BOGUS!

Quite right Chuck. My fault. Let it be decreed that Country Western is also fair game.
If country music is fair game then I would have to submit

"Friends in Low Places" by Garth Brooks.

The fact that the song would encourage an entire bar full of inebriates to sing along as loud as they could is what puts it high on the list for me. Shudder!!

Chas' list of irritating songs matches mine almost exactly. I think quite a few of the songs on the various lists may have been OK until the pop radio stations (soon to be one big Clear Channel station?) here in the US started playing them ad nauseum every minute of the day.

Broken Wings by Mr. Mister was one I liked the first few times I heard it but then it just became dreck after the thousandth time I heard it.

I just remember that during the 80's you couldn't go through more than a dozen or so stations without hearing a Steve Winwood song. He had some classic pukers. Higher Love...AARRGGHH

MarkV
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

How about "I Think We're Alone Now" by Tiffany

"I Saw Him Standing There" by Debbie Gibson who should apologize to the remaining members of the Beatles for ruining their song

"Invisible Touch" by Genesis

"Susudio" Phil Collins ought to apologize to every musician who has contemplated slitting his or her wrists while listening to this trite piece of crap.

"Relax" by Frankie Goes to Hollywood

The entire soundtrack to "Top Gun", including the Righteous Brothers' "You've Lost that Loving Feeling". As if it weren't bad enough when it was released back in the 60s.

Really, anything with the overly loud drum machines, crappy synthesized horns, and mediocre-to-just-plain-awful songwriting and musicianship that typified mid-80s pop music can just go to Hell and not come back as far as I'm concerned. It reminds me of awful clothes (remember Miami Vice?), bad haircuts, the Reagans, the suburbs, and middle school.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Pat Cannady wrote:

Really, anything with the overly loud drum machines, crappy synthesized horns, and mediocre-to-just-plain-awful songwriting and musicianship that typified mid-80s pop music can just go to Hell and not come back as far as I'm concerned. It reminds me of awful clothes (remember Miami Vice?), bad haircuts, the Reagans, the suburbs, and middle school.
Right on Pat!-The 80's was a SH**E decade"!
We in the U.K. had Maggie Thatcher :evil: (Reagan's bit on the side :lol: ),The worst popular 'culture' ever (though 'now' is pretty down there in the mediocre stakes),Yuppies with their me,me,me, greed culture,a war that needn't have been fought ,if the warning signals had been noted,the destruction of the British manufacturing base, alienation of whole communities,did I mention Maggie Thatcher :moreevil: ?
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

Actually, I quite like "Friends in Low Places" (though like many songs it is probably over-used). And, not that it means anything, it was #6 on CMT's industry-voted-on 100 greatest country songs ever. (If anyone cares, "Stand By Your Man" was #1).

Speaking of Disco Duck, the very first album that I ever owned as truly mine (and not a hand-me-down from my siblings) was "Sesame Street Fever". The cover had Grover in the classic Saturday Night Fever pose. I remember there was a disco version of the Rubber Ducky song, I don't remember the other songs. But I loved that album.....

I agree that anything by Whitney, Celine, or Mariah should be on the list.

One more thing, I think "I Saw Him Standing There" was Tiffany, not Debbie Gibson....but then they were pretty interchangeable.

Beth
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

You know, looking over this thread it occurs to me why I dove headfirst into ITM; all I have to do if anyone should ask is refer them to this thread. Longwinded explanations pale in the face of hard examples.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

First , a defense,

Steve Windwood on the Blind Faith album wasn't too shabby.

The Bee Gees- before disco- were great- I loved New York Mining Disaster

Now , on to (ugh,) country- the only type of music my husband listens to, but only if it's "beer drinkin' music" the real thing-

the worst is ANYTHING by George Jones- especially He stopped lovin' her today, OR Tammy "Whinette"-D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Borrowed Angel- "belongs to someone else......"

There was also one, I think by Porter Wagoner, that said something about
" I drank a fifth of courage and walked in". I've thankfully wiped the rest out of my mind.

And finally, Almost Persuaded- this has to be the ultimate
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Holt

Post by Holt »

I'm new, is this what they call a "rant"? :roll:
Tommy
AngeloMeola
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

Post by AngeloMeola »

Check out this site if you need any inspiration.
http://www.wanderers.com/wanderer/drivein.html?
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Holt wrote:I'm new, is this what they call a "rant"? :roll:

Not really. It's just one of the many off topic discussions that never cease here at C&F.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
brad maloney

Post by brad maloney »

"I believe I can fly, I believe I can really fly".... I don't know who wrote it but you know what I'm talking about.
"With my cheeks spread open" -creed
Any of those screachy little b*tch boy rage against the nine inch corn biscuit dingbats
TomB

Post by TomB »

[quote="cowtime"]

especially He stopped lovin' her today,

Yes, got to agree with you here. I was going to add this one when I saw that you had already done so.

Although I do like a lot of country music, be definition, most songs that have a lot of "talking" in them, instead of singing, are really terrible.

All the Best, Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"