OT: going through a difficult time. Updated: more good news!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Emilie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT: going through a difficult time. Updated: more good news!

Post by Emilie »

My mom was diagnosed with breast cancer on Thursday. She told me about it today. It was a huge shock.. she's taken some tests to see if the cancer's spread anywhere but we won't know anything before next week. A good thing is that she had some bloodtests and some X-rays done in May this year for her yearly exam and everything looked normal. I'm hoping this is a good sign. My little sister doesn't know anything yet, she's at summer camp (she's 14) and she's coming back tomorrow, my mom's going to have to break the news. I'm scared that as soon she hears the word 'cancer' she'll assume my mom's going to die. My dad works really far away, he usually is at work for 3 weeks and then comes home 2 weeks.. he was supposed to come back on the 15th but he'll be back on the 3rd instead. I'm really scared right now, and I feel alone. As some of you may know I study in Norway and now I'm in Canada for my holidays, but all my friends have moved and my boyfriend's back in Norway so there's not a lot of support around.

So.. my family's going through a really difficult time right now and any prayers, good thoughts and/or vibes sent this way are more than welcome.

Emilie
Last edited by Emilie on Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jeferson
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jeferson »

I'll be praying for you and your family, Emilie.

Jef
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Emilie,

Be assured of my prayers and those of my family.

Dale
Gadget

Post by Gadget »

Emilie- I am very new to the forum, but please accept my heartfelt hug and very warmest thoughts. *hug*
I'd also like to let you know this. My sister was also diagnosed with cancer. She underwent chemotherapy and it was a very hard time for all of us, but she survived and is living very vivaciously today. ;)
Try to take heart.
Experiance shows that a very populace city can seldom, if ever, be properly governed.
-Aristotle
jim_mc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family as well.

Jim
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Oh man, Emilie, that's majorly rough. If it's any help, my aunt had breast cancer 20 years ago and she is fine today. Lots of women beat this, so keep your chin up if you can. You and your mom are in my prayers.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Hi Emilie,
Sorry to hear about your mother-it must have come as quite a shock to you.
I have an idea of what you are going through,as I accompanied my mum to the hospital appointment when she was diagnosed with cancer of the Larynx,and it looked like a larynectomy (removal of the voice box) was on the cards.this was may 2002.
As you can expect,my mum was somewhat 'bowled over' to say the least,by this news,and her first reaction was to 'let nature take it's course'
.However,I got as much information as I could(the hospital staff were absolutely fantastically supportive) and got info from the internet.
I gave my mum a couple of days for the shock to subside a little,and then got her to read the information available, and to watch a video that the hospital had provided,and make an INFORMED decision.
Anyway to cut a long story short,mum elected to have a long and debilitating course of Chemotherapy,coupled with radio-therapy.
She has just had a check up on friday,and- touch wood - everything is fine :)
The word 'Cancer' carries a lot of dread -the disease ISN'T the killer that it was.Methods of treatment are progressing by leaps and bounds.
I knew a very attractive and vivacious young woman who was diagnosed as having breast cancer,and she underwent a masectomy a few years back. She decided to fight the disease,WON,and was spurred on to do other things with her life,like learn to drive.
She may have lost a breast to the disease,BUT,she is STILL very attractive and vivacious :D
I'm sorry that due to circumstances,you are physically isolated from friends.Just remember, you have all of 'Chiff and Fipple'as your friends.
If you need any support,please feel free to P.M. me. :)

P.s. -I found this British website to be very useful (the hospital actually provided some of the Bacup leaflets-others I printed off)No doubt ther are similar organisations in Canada.
www.bacup.org/uk
Last edited by kevin m. on Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Emilie, I'm so saddened to hear this bad news and my thoughts will be with you and your family through this difficult period. As several people have said, many women come through this trial alive and well and I can add that a cousin of mine is amongst them.
raiden29

I'm terribly sorry

Post by raiden29 »

Hello,

I don't know you, but I feel the need to reaply to your post to say that I am here, with alot of other players for you. I pray that your mother heals quickly.

My understanding is that if breast cancer is identified soon, there are high hopes for ricovery.

I know that my words are nothing, but I hope they at least bring a small smile to your face....
slowair

Re: Difficult Time

Post by slowair »

Hi Emilie,

The first thing you do when you hear the word cancer is assume the worst. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in January and just had it removed a little over a week ago.

The best thing you can do right now is be your mom's pillar of support. If you think you are thinking the worst, try to imagine what she is thinking. She is not only concerned for her own life, but yours, and your whole family.

Let her do the talking. I know I hate to be asked endless questions, especially when I don't know the answers myself. Just let her know that whatever happens, everything will be alright.

For yourself, seek knowledge on the subject. There is an endless supply on the internet. I found the web site for the American Cancer Society to be very helpful. I'm pretty sure it's http://www.cancer.org/

It is so hard not to let this consume your every thought. But try to get out and enjoy your day. Be as normal as can be. And when you want to cry, just do it.

From what you have said, this sounds like early stage cancer, so the chance of complete recovery are probably very good. Hold that thought close to your heart.

The times ahead are going to be tough on everyone in the family. Allow this difficult time to be the catalyst that pulls the family together.

Be strong, be brave....just be there in any way you can.

Emilie, not matter what happens, everything will be okay.

Email me if you'd like. I'm not going anywhere for a while.

Mike
Whistle_along_Cassidy

Grandma

Post by Whistle_along_Cassidy »

My Grandmother survived breast cancer and there is always hope. Every year i run in the relay for life and it is amazing to see all the survivors. Never give up.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Your mother and family are in my prayers.
Reasonable person
Walden
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Gadget wrote:My sister was also diagnosed with cancer. She underwent chemotherapy and it was a very hard time for all of us, but she survived and is living very vivaciously today. ;)
Try to take heart.
Gadget makes an important point. Let me add 2 stories. My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1980. When she had surgery, they discovered cancer in several adjacent lymph nodes. I remember the surgeon shook his head gravely when I asked him about the prognosis. My mother had a round of radiation therapy. This is 2003. She's had no recurrence of cancer and is doing quite well thank you very much.

My wife's mother, Alice, was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1982. She had surgery and was placed on tamoxophen (sp?). A few months afterwards, large metastatic tumors were discovered in both lungs. One in each lung, as I recall. They provided no treatment other than the tamoxophen. Alice initially accepted the idea that she would probably die of the cancer and then decided it wasn't time. Our first daughter was on the way and Alice wanted to know her. My wife and I just thought, you know, "denial." To shorten the story--the tumors shrunk, disappeared, and went away. Never came back. She died in February of this year at age 86 of causes unrelated to breast cancer.

Breast cancer is a rough disease and we lose way to many women from it. But, the point is, there are lots and lots of great stories out there.

Take care,

Dale
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Our thoughts and hopes for a speedy recovery go out to you and your mom.

I agree entirely with what's been said here, especially that knowledge is your best ally. Seek out information about the disease aggresively...BUT, be careful what you read on the internet. A lot of internet sites have a lot of completely false information about many diseases, especially cancer.

Ask your doctor about the location of a medical information library...many cities have these, they are usually free, and typically only medical students, residents, and docs make much use of them. These are a great place to seek information.

--James
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Emilie

This is really tough news, but not hopeless. A few months back I had a cancer scare of my own, first being told that I had it, then after a second battery of tests and biopsies being told that they were wrong the first time.

During it, I read everything I could on the topic. One thing that is clear is that there are MANY successes, not just individual stories like you've heard here, but also in the medical literature.

The important thing is to keep a positive attitude and to be supportive of your mom and especially your little sister. Cancer is still a serious disease, but its not the terror it was once and it sounds like they caught your mom's case early and the odds in those cases are very good.

Oh, and while you're taking care of everyone else - never forget to take care of yourself as well.

Take care

Chuck