The best Eb whistle..........

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

chas wrote: I had always poo-poohed the composers who have said through the ages that each key has its own feel or emotional impact.
Why? The tempered scale involves compromises. Different keys reflect different ways in which those compromises pan out.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I have a Bernard-made Overton Eb that I love. I also have an Abell, but I'm not really used to it yet. I think I'm going to like it very much when I am used to it. My Susato and Generation Ebs haven't been played since the Overton arrived.
kevin m.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kevin m. »

chas wrote:There's no such thing as a good Eflat instrument. Eflat is an abomination invented for those whose hands are too small to play a D flute (or low whistle) and get too confused by all those sharps in an E key signature.

Just kidding. Sort of..... I don't like the sound of the alto (except Cannonball Adderly on Kind of Blue) or baritone sax. I don't think there's anything bad about it, there's just something about Eflat that grates on me personally.

Hi Chas - what about your 'name sake' CHAS Parker ? or Ornette Coleman (mind you,he makes the horn sound like E sharp :lol: )
On Bari- Gerry Mulligan,Ronnie Cuber,Pat. Patrick,Charles Tyler ('a sound like rich,dark bittersweet chocolate' is an apt description I can always recall).
Eb whistle just sounds SO much brighter and livelier than 'D' to my ears -but then ,I was an Alto player in a previous life!
:o :o AAGH!! :o :o Just noticed-posting 666- Jazz really must be the Devil's music!
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

kevin m. wrote: Hi Chas - what about your 'name sake' CHAS Parker ? or Ornette Coleman (mind you,he makes the horn sound like E sharp :lol: )
On Bari- Gerry Mulligan,Ronnie Cuber,Pat. Patrick,Charles Tyler ('a sound like rich,dark bittersweet chocolate' is an apt description I can always recall).
Eb whistle just sounds SO much brighter and livelier than 'D' to my ears -but then ,I was an Alto player in a previous life!
:o :o AAGH!! :o :o Just noticed-posting 666- Jazz really must be the Devil's music!
I was specifically thinking of Bird and Gerry Mulligan when I posted. I should actually give Ornette another listen since I've gotten more into modern music. Not familiar with the other Bari players.

Along with the brighter sound is sometimes a thinner sound. My main complaint, though, is I think Eflat gives music, especially music you're used to hearing in D, a sense of urgency or tension. Some musicians tune a little sharp for songs on which they want that sense -- George Harrison did it occasionally. Richard Farina did the opposite; when he wanted a laid-back feeling for a song or a piece, he tuned his dulcimer down to C# from its normal D.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Hi Chas,
One of Charlie Parker's 'tricks' was to play a phrase 'half a step up' to give that 'sense of urgency' that you mention.
I think Ornette is the 'sound of constant surprise'
That guy should be given an honoury knighthood or something (we've got 'Sir Paul McCartney and 'Dame Elton John' haven't we? :lol: )
Totally O.T. ramble;Did you know that Elton John (Reg Dwight,as he was)got his stage name from his ex employer,singer 'Long JOHN' Baldry and ALTO PLAYER, ELTON Dean?
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Leel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

Post by Leel »

Hi All - I'm coming in a bit late, but I want to put in another plug for the Generation. I got a Gen set, and have had to tweak every one of them except the C and the E-Flat. As a matter of fact, that little E-flat is one of my very favorite whistles. It's very lively, and just plain fun to play. I don't know about session playing, but for just carrying a whistle around to toodle on at leisure it can't be beat. It's small, sounds great, and you can't beat the price :wink:
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

kevin m. wrote:Hi Chas,
One of Charlie Parker's 'tricks' was to play a phrase 'half a step up' to give that 'sense of urgency' that you mention.
I think Ornette is the 'sound of constant surprise'
That guy should be given an honoury knighthood or something (we've got 'Sir Paul McCartney and 'Dame Elton John' haven't we? :lol: )
Totally O.T. ramble;Did you know that Elton John (Reg Dwight,as he was)got his stage name from his ex employer,singer 'Long JOHN' Baldry and ALTO PLAYER, ELTON Dean?
Don't you guys put down Gerry Mulligan!

To me, if there's a jazz whistle sound, that's low Eb. I wish Copeland did one :cry:. I'd love the sound colour of my low D for that kind of music, if only its tone ain't misbehaving.
Same with Le Coant for wood whistles--deep low end, growl, reediness! A jazz natural. Now, with his conical bores, he told me he's not likely to invest research in this tone. You know, the "no demand" routine. While at the same time he does produce and sell Eb flutes, and keyed too, and a great Bb whistle--go figger! :roll:

Now, there are CG's Overtons, true...
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Azalin wrote:The answer is definitely the O'Briain Improved Eb. It has some "generation" in it, but you can be certain it's in tune, as it's been tempered with. A was joking with StevieJ, telling him that to try and tweak a Generation and get a good Eb, he'd need 10 of them, thus making the O'Briain less expensive at 25$US :-)
You had me fooled, Az - I thought you were pretty well cured of WhOA and then you come out with a tired old addict's argument like that.

I'll let you challenge me when we get back from Europe. We'll go down to Twigg's together and buy ONE Gen Eb and I'll tweak it into a fabulous whistle for you in 3 minutes.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

allezlesbleus wrote:I've got a Syn Eb that is really nice. It has even more of that buzzy-but-clean tone that the D Syn has, read the reviews of the Syn D and just think: "more so".

PC
Paul, have you noticed whether the Eb Synwhistle is the same diameter bore as the D Synwhistle?

(Erle sent me a D Synwhistle to evaluate and then tell him if I could find any way to improve it. My answer was emphatically no -- it's a great whistle, and every aspect of it has been optimized to the degree that there's nothing I could tweak to make it better. And he sells it for an amazingly reasonable price!)
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

StevieJ wrote: You had me fooled, Az - I thought you were pretty well cured of WhOA and then you come out with a tired old addict's argument like that.
Well, I'm just logical, not addicted!
StevieJ wrote: I'll let you challenge me when we get back from Europe. We'll go down to Twigg's together and buy ONE Gen Eb and I'll tweak it into a fabulous whistle for you in 3 minutes.
I didnt know you werent planning on coming back! ;-)
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Well heck I couldn`t let this one get past me. I love Eb whistles. Don`t ask me why. I have 2 Gens one in brass and one in nickel and after tweeking they are incredible Ebs`. The nickel one can be pushed beyound believe, relitively speaking that is. The Syn Eb is another of my favorites. I did a small review of it a week or so ago. (JUST A VEENIEL SYN) Very strong whistle, lots of pop and volume and very much alive. And by the way Jerry yes it is the same diamiter as the D. (oh but I have the D/Eb combo though) The Parkhurst Eb is just about the finest whisle I have ever played. Big hunk of copper that just begs to be pushed hard and put away wet. I think if one is thinking about an Eb you couldn`t go wrong with a Syn or even a Gen. Then if the key hits you hard you can spend lots of bucks. If not your only out a few bucks and if you bought a Syn it would be easy to sell. So.................

Tom
allezlesbleus

Post by allezlesbleus »

Jerry Freeman wrote:
Paul, have you noticed whether the Eb Synwhistle is the same diameter bore as the D Synwhistle?
Jerry,

Yep! Dr. Syn makes a C that also fits the SynHead...that one is still in development but also has that nice SynTone. Of the D, C and Eb, I have to say that the Eb is my favorite. The SynSound just seems to get better as the whistles get higher...

PC
"You think you've cornered the truth, so I point out that you may have missed a thing or two."
--Carl Sagan from <i>Contact</i>
Brian

Eb "wishtles"

Post by Brian »

Hello folks,
If you get a chance, try a Copeland Sterling Eb..........
Silky and clear. Playes like butter.........Ummmm ......butter...
Brian