Grawol

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
raiden29
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Grawol

Post by raiden29 »

Hello everyone!

Last night I was at one of my best friends house, where he threw a little party. I went to his computer in search for some good irish tunes for his brother, who now got the irish "bug" from me. I found "Eb reels" by "Flook"(not sure about the name of the song).
It is truely a wonderfully fast song, very interesting and very well played(as I'm sure Dale would agree). At some point during the song the whistle player grawols. I don't know if that's the name, but if I recall that's the name to describe what he did in jazz. It means making your whistle sound like louis Armstrong. I do not know how to do it, and was hoping one of you knows...

Thank you very much,
Raiden29
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Grawol?
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Gravel?
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Jerry Freeman wrote:Gravel?
Yeah, that could describe Satchmo's voice, but not necessarily his trumpet playing.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Yeah.

Singers do talk about "voice gravel."
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Maybe he means flutter-tongue: vibrate the tongue off the roof of the mouth while blowing the whistle. I heard that done on one of the Chieftains' recordings.
boomerang

ok i know what you mean

Post by boomerang »

ok i had fun doing this when i was bored, you can get some very interesting effects, simply speak into the mouthpiece of your whistle like you would a kazoo, if you try hard enough you can sorta hum the tune and have your whistle accompany with the excess breath...try it
its mildly amusing for a little while
some mouthpieces work better then others..
Good luck
David
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Ridseard wrote:Maybe he means flutter-tongue: vibrate the tongue off the roof of the mouth while blowing the whistle. I heard that done on one of the Chieftains' recordings.
That one (flatterzunge as we know it, thanks for telling the English term) I manage to do, but it always swings me up to second octave.

As for the proper growl I never heard it on a whistle, while quite a few jazzmen do it on brasswinds as well as single-reeds. It's a vibrato supposed to come from the back of your throat, without using the tongue. Don't try it with a sore throat! On my low C it sounds good, but less spectacular than with brasswinds.
Maybe it's me, maybe it's a question of back-pressure...
Also, the sound of the throat growl is distinctly audible over the sound of my whistle, like ventriloquism...
On a regular whistle, what comes out is an interesting "reedy" vibrato.

Now, if only Claudine read this thread, she's the brass-blower and jazz head who'd tell us the specifics...
LimuHead
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

Ridseard wrote:Maybe he means flutter-tongue: vibrate the tongue off the roof of the mouth while blowing the whistle.
That's what it is. Think of the 'r' sound in the Spanish pronunciation of 'arriba'. If you can pronounce the Spanish 'r' sound in 'arriba' and blow the whistle at the same time you'll make the sound.

Easier said than done, I suppose! :)

Aldon
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
Zubivka

Re: ok i know what you mean

Post by Zubivka »

boomerang wrote:ok i had fun doing this when i was bored, you can get some very interesting effects, simply speak into the mouthpiece of your whistle like you would a kazoo, if you try hard enough you can sorta hum the tune and have your whistle accompany with the excess breath...try it
its mildly amusing for a little while
some mouthpieces work better then others..
Good luck
David
I tried your trick--great! it does start the true jazz Growl, in both octaves (though a bit harder to get in second, for my taste). So I wasn't far when mentioning ventriloquism.

The fluttertongue I still can't manage in lower octave. Tried "arriba" in Spanish, but that gets me straight to speedy Gonzales pitch; tried in Russian as in borchtch (gesundheit!) and imagining I'm a deep bass chanting deacon, but no much better! :lol:
trisha

Post by trisha »

Paul, we await the video with interest... :roll:

Trisha

One small step for mankind...
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I got a "growl" effect on a Bb Abell at the end of a tune by blowing a little harder than I normally do without pushing into the second octave. You can hear it at the end of King of the Fairies on the Clips site. It's under Misc, fairly recent post. It was unintentional, but sounded deliberate. I haven't fooled around with it. I'm wondering if it's easier on certain notes. Willie Clancy does it a bunch on a D whistle on the first track of Totally Traditional Tin Whistles. I don't know how he did it, but it's very dramatic.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
boomerang

Re: ok i know what you mean

Post by boomerang »

[/quote]
I tried your trick--great! it does start the true jazz Growl, in both octaves (though a bit harder to get in second, for my taste). So I wasn't far when mentioning ventriloquism.

The fluttertongue I still can't manage in lower octave. Tried "arriba" in Spanish, but that gets me straight to speedy Gonzales pitch; tried in Russian as in borchtch (gesundheit!) and imagining I'm a deep bass chanting deacon, but no much better! :lol:[/quote]

I tryed the flutter tongue, very effective...for what other then amusement i dunno but, we can always wait for that "special" song :lol:
the kazoo method can make some great didgeridoo sounds, which might be ok for a few aussie tunes i am learning :boggle: :boggle:
its all good fun
cheers!! :)
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

TonyHiggins wrote:I got a "growl" effect on a Bb Abell at the end of a tune by blowing a little harder than I normally do without pushing into the second octave. You can hear it at the end of King of the Fairies on the Clips site. It's under Misc, fairly recent post. It was unintentional, but sounded deliberate. I haven't fooled around with it. I'm wondering if it's easier on certain notes. Willie Clancy does it a bunch on a D whistle on the first track of Totally Traditional Tin Whistles. I don't know how he did it, but it's very dramatic.
Tony
That unbalanced tricky twilight zone in-between two octaves at low end IS sounding as a growl (or bark if you make it shorter).
Thank you for mentioning this!

:x Smells of more practice, practice, practice...