whistle trading

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

ScottStewart wrote:Right now the whistle I'm thinking of trading is an Eyer alto G. Every time I play this whistle I think to myself I really like it, but in the back of my mind I'm wondering if I would like a Burke composite G better.
I have a Burke aluminum (AlPro i think) low G and it's one of the best sounding whistles i've played. It's agile too, you can easily play fast reels in it.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

blackhawk wrote: I remember Loren saying that he had asked Glen Schultz to varnish the inside of that particular whistle so it wouldn't need to be cleaned out after playing to avoid moisture problems in the bore. I wonder if that contributes to the different sound.
Actually, it was Glenn's idea to French Lacquer the inside and outside of that particular whistle. A Good call too.

Loren
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Well now Scott I had the chance to compare the two low Gs your thinking about before I decided on the Rayburn thanks to a treasured friend here in chiffy land. Couldn`t stand the composit. Just to pure. Ment for church. It was also weightless. No substance. Having said that one of my treasures is a Burke D WBB made in Feb of 2000 that I recieved as a birthday gift from a board member. It will go no further. I have even traded whistles for pictures before. I traded an O`Brian improved D, which I never did like for a D Chieftan which I like but I need to hook a heater to it somehow. I have a killer collection of Gens in every key except high G (but I will get one) and most of them I recieved from my friends here. I do miss my Hoovers but you should see this photo. I have decided to get a whitecap head for this old Oak I`ve had with me for 25 years. I tried everything else to get it to be playable. Hey what about a trading list. Think of all the whistles we`ed be able to try. :D

Tom
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

:o Holy smokes I forgot who I got my Water Weasel from :o

And I forgot to mention the Parkhurst D/Eb combo I bought from Doc. Worth its weight in gold to me. It will go no farther. And the flutes. Lord the flutes, this has realy been quite a ride.
Oh Blackhawk I have been wanting to check out a Serpant D :D

Tom
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Blackbeer wrote: Oh Blackhawk I have been wanting to check out a Serpant D :D

Tom
Then I'll send it to you, Tom. You'll have to wait until my next day off, next Monday, but I'll get it into the mail to you then. I think I still have your address.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Blackbeer

Post by Blackbeer »

Blackhawk I ment I hoped I had something to trade you for it. Trouble is I probably have the same whistles you have. :D Let me start digging.

Tom
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Blackbeer wrote:Blackhawk I ment I hoped I had something to trade you for it. Trouble is I probably have the same whistles you have. :D Let me start digging.

Tom
Naw, Tom, I'm trying to clean out my whistle locker a little bit. And who knows, it might not be anything you bond with. If not, just pass it on to the next player.

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
RoyalGoldReps

Post by RoyalGoldReps »

That is really cool to see the community here. :P

Being a new person it is difficult to totally feel it, but I see it happening. Also it tough to get involved since I have yet to get my first whistle! Hope to be very involved as soon as possible though.

Steven
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Welcome to the club, Steven. Jump right in! It doesn't take long to make friends here. :)

--Plato
tkelly

Post by tkelly »

Hmm . . . I sold a Water Weasel to someone on the board. Don't know if it was you, Tom. Most of my whistles have been bought used on C&F, and all of my decisions about what to buy were made with the excellent help from folks here.

My first new whistle, other than a few cheapies, was a birthday present -- the Rose that hasn't arrived yet. I'm going to love having a brand new Rose, but in general I like the idea of rescuing an unplayed whistle! :-)

One whistle I'm dying to try is a Burke narrow bore. I love my Burke, and my Hoover standard bore. I'd like to play the Hoovers -- standard and narrow -- and the Burke narrow bore side by side. My job starts in Sept, and then I'll have an income! I see a case of WhOA in my future . . .

Tery
slowair

Re: Trading Whistles

Post by slowair »

Whoa is not me. :)

I have always had a problem being a collector of stuff. I promised myself whistles would not be another collection.

So the strategy is that if I find a whistle that suits me, it's the only one.

I started with a Clarke...it's gone.

Susato...still here...mostly collects dust.

I ordered a Sindt and bought a Burke while I waited. Sindt arrived, the Burke is gone.

Now my problem is, I have a Sindt D, which I love except for the C natural cross fingering dilema, with a newly arrived Busman. Which I like very much and wish that the Sindt had the same fingering and volume.

I'll probably keep both for now, only because the wood whistle is kinda delicate from what I hear. I don't want to be babying a whistle.

So here's the thing....

A while back, I posted info on what I would consider my ultimate whistle and got some good responses. Of those, the one whistle I would love to try is a Silkstone.

If anyone would be generous and trusting enough to let me try there's, I MIGHT part with the Sindt or even buy it.

Anyone?

Mike
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Loren is selling an excellent Silkstone at a great price.

For that matter, I'd swap my Sindt D if I got an offer for a really cool whistle in exchange.

--Plato
slowair

Re: Whistle Trading

Post by slowair »

There's the rub...I would love to try one before I buy one.

And while I would consider a trade, I think Loren needs cash.

After buying the Busman, I'm tapped for sure. It will be awhile until I see a new whistle.

Would love to try a Silkstone though.

:)