Bb whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
elendil

Bb whistles

Post by elendil »

I did a search, and to my surprise came up with no threads specifically on Bb whistles! Can that be right?

I feel pretty set with D whistles (well...), but I'm not satisfied with my Bb (and C) whistles. All I really have is a Gen Bb and a Sweetone C. Each have their good points, but aren't totally satisfactory, and somehow it seems that more and more of the tunes I learn are played on the Bb.

Does anyone have any ideas? My favorite whistle is a Sweet laminate, but I have a Burke narrow bore and a Reyburn cpvc (both D). In terms of availability, Burke does seem to cover all bases, but I'm open to suggestions and comparisons.
elendil
Whistle_along_Cassidy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

C whistle

Post by Whistle_along_Cassidy »

I own a "c" meg and that is my only "c" whistle. Recentally when playing with a friend i was able to play his Oak "c" and i think, in my opinoin, that it was much better than my Meg. I very much like the sound and the way it felt playing it.
carrie

Post by carrie »

There are some related comments in this thread.

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... t=burke+bb

I've said it before and I'll say it again: my Burke Bb (brass) is my favorite whistle.

Carol
Last edited by carrie on Sat Jun 21, 2003 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
tkelly

Post by tkelly »

Someone here suggested that putting the fipple of a Sweetone Bb on the body of a Gen Bb makes a very nice whistle. I don't play a Bb often enough to really say, but I do like the difference it made in mine.

Tery
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

You might try the recent thread begun by Doc Jones looking for a good Bb whistle.

I would recommend a Water Weasel for a Bflat. It feels more like a low-G, but I think the extra heft to the feel and sound works wonderfully.

The only two C's I like are the Thin Weasel and Harper. I find most C's just lack character; they're just long versions of the corresponding D's. The Thin Weasel is its own whistle, but is out of most people's price range. The Harper is still expensive, but offers a nice, robust sound.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

I'm testing PVC Bbs right now and have several Bbs coming:

Hoover
Water weasel
Silkstone
Susato

I'll post an opinion when I have one.

I had a Dixon Bb that was pretty good for the money.

I had a generation Bb which was unplayable from the get go as most of my Generations have been save a hi F which is delightful.

As for c whistles I once owned a Sindt C which was fabulous...one of those whistles you sell and then immediately regret. I really need to get another one. :roll:

I also have a Burke compososite C which is really nice. Burke's composites have a woody wonderful sound.

Doc
elendil

Post by elendil »

cskinner said:
There are some related comments in this thread.

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... t=burke+bb

Hmmm... I found myself on that thread, saying I was satisfied with my Gen Bb! What's going on here?

Yes, Chas, Water Weasels are an option. I've played my son's and my Reyburn cpvc is very similar. They're both pretty satisfactory. Actually, I played a Bb weasel when I bought the D for him. And I think I'd try the Burke composite if I go that way. I heard a comparison Tyghress did between the new Sweet (hers is rosewood, mine is laminate) and a Burke composite (I believe--I know it was a Burke) and was quite impressed. I could easily tell the diff, but was quite surprised, at the time, by the quality. Too bad Sweet doesn't have a Bb laminate model--or a C, for that matter. I bet a Bb Sweet laminate would be unbelievable. Of course, then we're starting to talk serious money.
Last edited by elendil on Sat Jun 21, 2003 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
elendil
Zubivka

Re: Bb whistles

Post by Zubivka »

elendil wrote:I did a search, and to my surprise came up with no threads specifically on Bb whistles! Can that be right?

I feel pretty set with D whistles (well...), but I'm not satisfied with my Bb (and C) whistles. All I really have is a Gen Bb and a Sweetone C. Each have their good points, but aren't totally satisfactory, and somehow it seems that more and more of the tunes I learn are played on the Bb.

Does anyone have any ideas? My favorite whistle is a Sweet laminate, but I have a Burke narrow bore and a Reyburn cpvc (both D). In terms of availability, Burke does seem to cover all bases, but I'm open to suggestions and comparisons.
If you love the Sweet D, don't look further for a Bb than Yvon Le Coant. The Bb is the latest addition to his line.

The construction, looks and sound are quite similar to Sweet's. The bore is conical, too. Tuning is tops, with very good cross-fingerings down to G#. Bell sound solid, top second octave needs a bit of push but doesn't get shrill for that matter.
Differences are, on the Le Coant:
• Woods: your choice of African blackwood Dalbergia melanoxylon, or Brasil "bois de violette" Dalbergia cearensis or Kingwood in English. Blackwood gives a pure sound, kingwood more of a reediness I prefer especially in Bb (the bombarde & pipes influence?)
• Tuning slide: brass tubing with silver-plated ferrules top and bottom
• Windway: curved, block made of juniper wood (smells so good!) and pinned
• Bell end: slightly flared outside, à la Swayne
• Yvon's Internet page is... pants. The photographs are outdated, navigation slow, text approximate. As things go, does he ever read his e-mail?

So better cal or write Yvon Le COANT,
Artisan Luthier ,
6, rue des fontaines
Binic (22) FRANCE
tèl : (00-33) 296.733.699

Watch out: In 3 weeks there will be in France the St-Chartier Festival of instrument makers, where a selected 120 craftsmen gather, compete for craftsmanship before a jury and sell trad instruments. Here you can see Swayne, Le Coant, and a few celebrities.
Probably the one place where to shop for ready-made full set of pipes (name your style), and compare them side by side...

This means that NOW he has stock, but after July 14 th... wait about a year :P

Prices? 176 Euros for a D whistle, 305 for G, A, Bb.
Close to an Abell? Correct. If you want a quieter, breathier sound, do get the Abell. But Le Coant's Bb in Kingwood will just match your Sweet.
elendil

Post by elendil »

Prices? 176 Euros for a D whistle, 305 for G, A, Bb.
That's like $305! Yow!! Maybe that Gen Bb isn't so bad. I'll keep it in mind, tho.
elendil
Jack

Post by Jack »

Quote @
Whistle_along_Cassidy
I own a "c" meg and that is my only "c" whistle. Recentally when playing with a friend i was able to play his Oak "c" and i think, in my opinoin, that it was much better than my Meg. I very much like the sound and the way it felt playing it.
Until recently I had a Meg C and an Oak C. The Meg was awful, improved some after Jerry Freeman tweaked it, but I just didn't like the Meg. I liked the Oak C alot, but the sound really wasn't my bag...and it took a lot of air. I also have a Walton's Nickel C. It's better than both of them, IMHO.

The search function doesn't work for 'Bb', 'A', 'D', 'C', etc.
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

I have a Gen Bb with the Sweetone C head(mounted on a brass coupler). It is very sweet sounding and chiffless..however,it is very weak in the bell tone. My other Bb's are also Gen. one in brass and one in nickel. I personally love their sound enough that I'm not interested in buying another..
For C Again Gen. this time heavily tweaked with plastic from a cd case in the windway..dremeling the mouthpiece for better fit and in the end a wonderful sound..pure,strong across 2 octaves..
I have in the past had the Susato C which was a winner(sold it in a set). A water weasel(sold,not to my liking)..
Now have 2 C's by Reyburn,one brass one CPVC..love them both..of these the brass is a more aggressive/chiffy sound, the other pure and sweet..
My Oak C...it's ok
"Do not fear;Zion,let not your hands be weak;
The Lord your God in your midst;
The Mighty One,will save;
He will rejoice over you with gladness,
He will quiet you in His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing."
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I recently got a Bb Overton. I love it until I get to the second octave A, then it's really hard to play. I know it's just me, and I can feel myself getting better at it. But it's taking a long time.

The sound up to that point is sublime.

I plan to start a thread on the Overton Bb when I have logged a little more time with it.

BTW, I started a thread a few weeks ago that had Overton Bb in the subject line. You could search for that.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

I have two Bb Gens-the brass and the Nickel plated.The brass model did need the standard 'blue tack tweak' and I had to dull the blade as it had a 'split octave' sound when you attempted to play 2nd octave d-e,but the tweak seems to have done the trick.The nickel played o.k. straight from the shop.The brass,I might add.was bought about 10 years ago,the nickel about 2 years ago-quality seems to vary with Gens depending upon when they were made.
I saw two of the girls from 'the London Lasses' playing a duet on Gen nickel Bb's,and they sounded very good.Try before you buy,or tweak and you have potentially a very playable whistle for very little outlay. :)
I am currently awaiting a Sindt Bb/A set (ordered cos I love my Sindt D and Eb) :D
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
elendil

Post by elendil »

Thanks to all for their input.

The reason for my dissatisfaction with the Gen Bb is twofold: 1) it's hard to access the top end, and when I get there the notes are unclear, and 2) the second octave is flatter the higher you go. Tweaking might remedy the first problem, but I doubt if it would make a difference for the second.

It sounds like the Overton wouldn't fill my needs/desires, either. It sounds in a way a little like the old Sweets (see other thread): good up to a' or so but iffy beyond.

It so happens that what got me thinking about a new Bb was learning "The Wee Rabbit," a delightful hornpipe that Deanta plays, but one that requires a quick and sure reach up to the top D (it's played on a Bb whistle, so of course that's a high Bb). I wish I knew what kind of whistle that is! My experience with Susatos is that they can't make the reach, either. I can do it on my D Reyburn, Burke and Sweetheart, but I want the Bb's mellower sound.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Water Weasel or the Burke composite, partly for price reasons. I checked out a few other whistle makers--a fair number make C's but not Bb's. I wonder if any of them do custom orders like that?

Zubivka, you're right, tracking down Le Coant on the web is pretty hopeless. But thanks for the description. That whistle sounds like a winner! Sounds like I'll have to take a trip if I want one of those.
elendil
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

In response to this thread, I did a "taste" test of my high-end Bflats yesterday, recording and playing back first an air, then, jig, march, reel, etc., same tunes for all four whistles. There's always less difference when playing back than when trying to judge tonal qualities just playing. They're all good, but there are distinctive differences that amount to taste.

Whistles (Bflat) were, Schultz PVC WW, Abel blackwood, Copeland brass, Grinter red lancewood.

WW - In a word "booming" sound. Largest tone holes. Moderate air. Stronger in the low end than the high.

Abel - Has a softer or warmer sound. Mellow, ethereal, good balance (I swear, I don't ever do this with wines, tastes good, drink it, period; WHOA is a b---h!) Easiest to play; sometimes feels like it's playing itself.

Copeland - Takes more air than the others and definitely the most difficult (not a big deal; we're talking nuance here) to play. Has by far the strongest low end and bell note. This particular whistle is really perfectly balanced, avoiding the sometimes shrill top end that a Copeland can have.

Grinter - Brighter sound; stronger in the high end; a little thin in the low end.

Favorite tonal qualities - Copeland
Favorite ease of play - Abell
Best bang for the buck - WW

Regards,

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.