OT dogs vs cats

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
rebl_rn
antispam: No

Post by rebl_rn »

I agree with Cranberry that cats shouldn't be kept (or even allowed) outside. Cats can live perfectly happy lives indoors, and they live longer too.

I've never had pet rats, but I have heard good things about them.....but as a public health nurse in Wisconsin dealing with the monkeypox situation, I would discourage Gambian rats or other African rodents -of course, you shouldn't be able to get one of those now anyway, it's illegal.

Beth
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

rebl_rn wrote:I've never had pet rats, but I have heard good things about them.....but as a public health nurse in Wisconsin dealing with the monkeypox situation, I would discourage Gambian rats or other African rodents -of course, you shouldn't be able to get one of those now anyway, it's illegal.
Gambian pouched rats and other exotic rodents are usually worlds apart from domestic rats and mice, because rats and mice have been kept longer and have been more domesticated. I've never had a Gambian(I have had rice and mats, though), but I'd bet they're 'wild'...anyway, you'd be surprised at how easy it is to get illegal animals, at least in some places. I used to have contact with all kinds of people who had gerbils (and other animals, gerbils are the only ones I remember specifically) and other banned animals in states where they're illegal, and they had lists of vets that would treat them. They're illegal, but a lot of people have them. The cops aren't exactly going to come to your door and knock it down to see if you have a gerbil.

There are good reasons for the laws, though, to avoid naturalization of a foreign species (and in the case of the Gambians, to prevent disease).
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

You DEFINATELY need a DOG. No greater creatures on this earth.(Except for grandchildren :D )

The best advice you've been given so far is that if you opt canine, and it sounds like you will, do some homework.

If you would prefer to up the odds of definate characteristics in a dog then you should read up on lots of breeds( AKC Dog Book is a good starting place), figure out what appeals to you. Contact the national parent club(ie. Skye Terrier Club of America). They should advise you on the pros and cons of their breed. Definately talk to folks who've got lots of experience with the breed- a dog show is a good place to see lots of breeds "in the flesh", then go with the national parent club's rescue program, since you've indicated you will either go to the shelter or rescue program.

Often beloved pets, with perfect manners, find themselves in rescue situations(death of owner, owner's illness, etc.)All are not just victims who need rehabilitation, that have had horrible lives up to the point they enter a breed rescue program.

Regardless of where you get your dog, you should be heavily scrutinized by who ever is considering letting you have a dog. If you are not treated as if you are adopting a child, then run quickly away. A dedicated breeder, or volunteer in a breed's rescue program, should give you the "third degree". Be prepared to sign contracts. These are all good things both for the new owner and the dog and the person providing the dog.

Folks have given you some specific breeds as suggestions- all the mentioned breeds have pros and cons. We dog folks are always partial to our favorites.

I would add-

be VERY careful if you go for a popular breed, they are usually very available, and also produced indescriminately by everybody and their brother who want to make a buck- quality is generally poor, breed type poor, temperment questionable. Good breeders are out there in the popular breeds, but you must wade through lots of backyard breeders to find them.

the rarer breeds are generally sounder because the few folks who are intrested in them are intent on protecting the breed and keeping it healthy and sound of body and mind. But, again, you should find it extremely difficult to be approved to adopt a rare breed from a resuce program. And this is as it should be, for the protection of any breed.

Leevin' fair sweeter when ye hae yer ain wee bit
o'a sonsie, shaggy doggie to gang wi' ye loupin' an' gypsying ower the brae i' the morn,
to share yer gude brose an' biscuit at noon,
to curl up niest to ye at nicht when yer day's wark's done,
an' to sleep, wi' 'is leal heid on yer feet
be ye a puir man or a prood laird o' the nobeelity.

I commited this to memory so long ago I no longer remember who wrote it- anyone ? anyone?

It describes any good dog, and every Skye I've ever known.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
fatveg

Post by fatveg »

mrosenlof wrote:basically like asking "which religion is better?"
Did this get answered? I'm just returning from a couple of weeks away from the board, and I don't have time to read the whole thread -- what was the conclusion? My money's on those bloody Taoists.
<i>"Music is more like water than a rinoceros. It doesn't chase madly down one path. It runs away in every direction" - E. Costello</i>
Jack

Post by Jack »

fatveg wrote:
mrosenlof wrote:basically like asking "which religion is better?"
Did this get answered? I'm just returning from a couple of weeks away from the board, and I don't have time to read the whole thread -- what was the conclusion? My money's on those bloody Taoists.
Kathianity won it.
MichaelG

No question

Post by MichaelG »

My three-year-old daughter and my four-year-old Lab both greet me enthusiastically when I come home. I recommend a dog. And kids make fine pets, too.

Michael
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

cowtime wrote:
the rarer breeds are generally sounder because the few folks who are intrested in them are intent on protecting the breed and keeping it healthy and sound of body and mind. But, again, you should find it extremely difficult to be approved to adopt a rare breed from a resuce program. And this is as it should be, for the protection of any breed.
Truer words were never spoken. I cheer every time I see the poodle move further down the popularity list (and then have to cringe again when I get an issue of Dog Fancy and see ads for "rare" dobe marked or parti-poodles...both of which are, by definition, backyard or puppy mill bred). I agree with Cowtime...if a breeder or rescue group doesn't treat you as though you were adopting a child, RUN in the opposite direction. It's also really important to familiarize yourself with the breed in question as much as humanly possible...pros as well as cons...not only because it will help you choose the right breed, but it can help you choose the right breeder. I remember asking one "breeder" if her parent dogs had been CERF'ed...when she looked at me blankly, I clarified "cleared of PRA." When she still didn't know what I was talking about, I knew I was talking to someone who didn't know jack about poodles (for the curious...PRA is progressive retinal atrophy, something to which miniature poodles are prone. CERF is the organization that certifies the eye health of dogs used for breeding. Anyone breeding poodles should know that).

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Cran have you considered a profession in the animal care field?

I am happy to say that my family was largely responsible for putting a very horrible pet store out of business. To spare the sordid details suffice to say that any self-respecting pet lover would have cringed in horror at this place. My daughters worked there for awhile and when we all saw the plight of the poor animals within a few calls to animal control and they were told to clean up or get out. They did not clean up. Thus about 9 months later they were out of business.

Oh the horror stories my daughters told me about these animals.

How about a tarantula? I wouldn't have one myself but some people like them.
slowair

Re: Dogs vs Cats

Post by slowair »

The answer is simple.

If you are home most of the day, get a dog. They are a pack animal and need to be a part of your pack.

If you both work all day and aren't home, get a cat. They sleep most the day anyways and won't care if you aren't there.

Dogs need you. They instinctively want to be with you...all the time.

Cats? They need you too. When they feel like it. Usually feeding time.

So the answer depends on you. Pets should meet your needs. When chosen correctly, you will be meeting theirs as well.

Good luck and enjoy your new family.

Mike
Jack

Post by Jack »

geek4music wrote:Cran have you considered a profession in the animal care field?
Considered it? I'd love to work with small animals or birds, but I can't afford the schooling (and am ineligible for loans or grants). My prostitution gig pays well enough for the time being, though.
Pat Cannady

Post by Pat Cannady »

slowair wrote:Cats? They need you too. When they feel like it. Usually feeding time.

Mike
That's the stereotype, but it really depends on the critter in question-and who it's been around in its time. Piss a cat off, and it stays pissed off :D . Most of the time, a mean housecat is mean because somebody did something to it.

It helps if they're handled frequently and gently(!) while they are kittens; if you do this, they will adopt you very quickly as a "parent". Most housecats are very sweet-natured because they have been treated well all their lives.

I've seen my own father, a born cat hater, come to adore the cats my mother insisted on having in the house. It's funny.

I like dogs, too, but I can't give one the running space or attention it deserves.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

FWIW, my cat greets me at the door enthusiastically when I get home, talking and singing. We spend at most abt. 15 minutes quality time (unless she's feeling the need to be babied, which is seldom), usually snuggling and doing goofy stuff (including certain harmless rituals she has taught me), and then it's off to other things for the both of us. The arrangement works well as I too am as independent as your average cat. Throughout the day we touch base (usually at her inclination), and all's well.

I've lived with dogs and cats together for much of my life, and love them both. It's cats for me at the end of the day, though. The elements of negotiation and respect seem to mirror my experiences in the human sphere.

Best,
N
Steven

Post by Steven »

Pat Cannady wrote:
slowair wrote:Cats? They need you too. When they feel like it. Usually feeding time.

Mike
That's the stereotype, but it really depends on the critter in question-and who it's been around in its time. Piss a cat off, and it stays pissed off :D . Most of the time, a mean housecat is mean because somebody did something to it.

It helps if they're handled frequently and gently(!) while they are kittens; if you do this, they will adopt you very quickly as a "parent". Most housecats are very sweet-natured because they have been treated well all their lives.

I've seen my own father, a born cat hater, come to adore the cats my mother insisted on having in the house. It's funny.

I like dogs, too, but I can't give one the running space or attention it deserves.
I couldn't agree more! The stereotype (mostly perpetuated by dog people, I can't help but notice) that cats are aloof and keep to themselves and don't care if you're around just isn't true. It's true of individual cats, mostly those who are brought up that way. My cat, all my friends' cats, and all the cats I grew up with have been very social creatures who love to be around people. They're actually very friendly, interactive animals if you let them be. On the other hand, I've known plenty of dogs that were much less friendly and much less happy about being around people (except for maybe the one or two who they live with).

I'm not saying that I'm just a cat person -- I grew up with a dog, and I like dogs a lot. I just think a lot of people have this misperception about cats. In fact, a lot of the people I've heard say it through the years have been people who have never had a cat, and they're just repeating what they've always heard, without any real first-hand experience. (Not saying that's the case here, of course, just that it sometimes is.)

Hug a cat -- you might make a friend! (Well, OK, as long as you hug gently. Otherwise you might get your eyes clawed out. :lol: )

:-)
Steven
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

I've noticed too, that many of the people who characterize cats as "aloof" have never had one (or perhaps had the misfortune to know one that was never well socialized). Not necessarily dog people, though I do know a lot of dog people who have actually gotten this impression from cat people (primarily from those who go on and on about their pets' "independence" while looking down on dogs as "toadies"...to a dog person who isn't familiar with cats, that reads as "a cat couldn't possibly be the companion my dog is"). I've had both cats and dogs (as well as other critters) my entire life, but my husband had never had a cat until we got Khani. Even then, I think he thought she was something of an anomaly, until Jonah came along and proved otherwise.

Cranberry, I can't think of why you wouldn't be eligible for any kind of financial aid. If the grants and loans aren't there, there are plenty of scholarships out there for the asking, as well as work-study money. And, of course, veterinary medicine isn't the only animal-related career out there. With your interests, there should be a way, if you dig deep enough.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Hmm...

Whither the Pet Rock®?