Help removing "tape-gunk" from whistles.....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Sandy Jasper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sandy Jasper »

Jerry

Thanks for your concern. Yes, I do have a resperator I use for painting etc. I keep my rags outside as well so that we don't hang around breathing it. Some stuff sure can be nasty! When using only small bits of lacquer thinner, I sometimes don't use the resperator but now I will change my evil elf ways!

Sandy
AnnaDMartinez
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

What about that orangey, oily stuff called Goo-Gone for metal?
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Another chemical that works well for cleaning off adhesive residue is naftha (not to be confused with NAFTA) also known as Zippo lighter fluid. It's volatile and stinks bad so use it with good ventilation. A guitar technician used it on my guitar to remove the glue left by a pick guard. The guitar has the standard nitrocelulose laquer found on most guitars nowadays. The finish was not harmed at all. This may be the ingredient used in Goo-Gone and other such products.
Mike
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

I have bought a couple of Sweetones from a toy store in which the brain dead temp help insist on putting the price sticker on the barrel rather than on the plastic that covers the mouthpiece , and I can state from experience that Zippo lighter fluid will take the sticky tape gunk off a Sweetone without harming the paint. It will take lots of kinds of sticky gunk off of lots of things without harming the paint.

As an inhalent, however, it's pretty far down the scale -- better than gasoline and shellac thinner, but nowhere near as good as nail polish remover, Wite-Out, rubber cement, model airplane glue, Krylon paint, or even a nice, big, fat black magic marker.
Rockymtnpiper

Post by Rockymtnpiper »

GEEEEEEZE :boggle: Half Toxic Substances, some of them on the highly flambouyant side. ETC. Hows about oil? Olive oil, Almond oil, Woodwind bore oil, wesson oil etc. And if its a wooden whistle... it might could use some oil anyway.. And then if that doesnt work maybe bring in the heavy artillary. As long as I wasnt risking a lovely enamel finsh, heck I might even try some 4X rated steel wool, after the oil was been given a chance to soak in and under the goo..

One might even take care to rinse off the Orange type solvents. The Citric acid isnt the kindest thing on your hands, and given half a chance can and will disolve plastic. I use some stuff at work to clean urethane caulking off of tools, hands and clothing... its called BIG ORANGE, its all natural (except for the propellant) and for being all natural it is the strongest cleaner/solvent on the planet I am standing on. Super big artillary. And the very last thing, or type of thing I would consider using for small jobs, let alone a delicate job.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Nuke it from orbit...

it's the only way to be sure.