chromatic isnstrument under $130

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mack.Hoover
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

...or one of these:

http://musikmuseum.dk/1XYL1.HTM

I've seen and coveted a briefcase size one.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Doesn't look like the spindly legs will hold it up well.

I notice they refer to the bamboo flutes as "toy" "bamboo recorders".
Maybe they need someone else as curator.
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

How about a thumb piano or kalimba as they are sometimes called. Usually they have only one octave - but some go beyond to 2 and 1/2. I've got one out of a gourd that's pretty awesome. I bought it at an "earth friendly" store in Austin for $40.

The sound is cool. Kinda of a poor man's set of vibes. And the harmony is fun.
Patrick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Patrick »

Y'know, most tenor recorders have keys for the bottom holes. That means you don't need to feel those little holes, just the keys. Yamaha makes a tenor recorder that gets good reviews and goes for about $70.

As mentioned, entry-level guitars and ukes can be had for under $100.

There are some cheapie fiddles on the market for that price range, too. If you buy new, you'll get a fiddle made in China. Some people have nothing but contempt for these, others consider them viable entry-level instruments. Mine is German, purchased at a garage sale for $60.

For $400 or a little more, there is a "piano dulcimer" that is actually chromatic.

Bowed psalteries go for about $150 each.

I guess you could figure out what sort of instrument you really want to play, then ask if anyone is selling one. That would probably help a lot of us figure out what to suggest. A fair number of instruments out there are chromatic, so it would be nice to have it narrowed down a bit.

-Patrick
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

You can't get much more chromatic than a slide whistle. And the price is right. :wink:
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

I've never tried a nose whistle . . . maybe its chromatic . . . then again it may depend on your nose.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Seriously, though, Cran: you're young yet...why not try to get a used fiddle? Unless your hand/wrist problems would dictate otherwise...
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

My son has a nose whistle. He's 4, and when he saw one in the music store he had to have it (this is a side effect of 4 - anything that's played with the nose is instantly cool :P ).

Technically, it's chromatic, but I can't seem to ever reproduce the same sound twice (then again, I have not really tried hard).

They're kind of spooky - my son likes to jump out at guests and blast a note at them with the nose whistle. He looks abit like a musical Hannibal Lecter...you have to see one being played to understand.

They do have some positives - no fingers needed, costs less than $2, and it comes in several colors.

Eric
french

Post by french »

man-do-lin!
Jack

Post by Jack »

I never thought to check a pawn shop. There are 4 (I think) near me. I'm going to try to call them tomorrow.

I had an electronic keyboard, but I gave it away because one key wouldn't produce sound. After I started learning whistle and got to wanting to play other types of music I wish I hadn't given it away.

I had a violin when I was in 6th grade but I never played it. I thought you needed a pinky to play?

I also have a guitar, but it scares me.

I'm still leaning toward those big xylophones on stands...because they'd be relatively easy. But I think I should wait a few weeks then see if I still want one, because the way my mind works, I probably won't. I don't want to impulse buy something and let it sit in the kor•ner.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Nanohedron wrote:You can't get much more chromatic than a slide whistle. And the price is right. :wink:
So true!
Slide trombones are more expensive. But they're great in a car, esp. from the back seat. If a front airbag pops open you get that kwool slur, then that great cavernous mute :lol:

The remaining problem is the dentist's bill after such jams. Better stick to the slide whistle. Aka the poor man's slide melodica.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

OK, Tony, at least we know the seller ain't messing around: :)

"WE ARE UNDER NO OBLIGATION TO ACCEPT BIDS FROM UNHAPPY MISERABLE JERKS THAT TREAT THEIR FELLOW EBAYER AS IF THEY WERE LESS THAN HUMAN. IF YOU ARE NOT A NICE PERSON, GO BID SOMEWHERE ELSE!"

Jef
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Tony, thanks for the link:
I never knew melodicas came with a schnorkel.
I might bid. I want one! Not sure I'm a "nice person", but I'll try to qualify. Then add a camping mattress foot-operated inflator, squeeze it under me armpit and patent the first CUPS, i.e.
Chromatic Uillean Parlor Squeezebox !

Now, just imagine it on a tandem's bike driver's backback (aka Camelback), while blown by the same driver. Behind, the stoker can both pedal and press the keyboard. Now you got the first

Tandemeolochromatohooliganopedalodeon or T&H for short
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

What's really wierd is... I live less than 2 miles from that music store.