OT: How old are you?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

How old are you?

younger than 20
11%
21 to 30
17%
31 to 40
23%
41 to 50
33%
51 to 60
13%
61 to 70
4%
71 and older
No votes

Total votes: 132

Alcona
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Alcona »

Our kids once asked my husband how old he was (me being older than dirt and my mom lived with the dinosaurs). He told them in a sarcastic voice "half past a freckle on a monkey'S butt". I started calling him monkey-butt and needless to say he was not thrilled with the new name! :lol:
I turned 30 in March
Birthdays are good for you;
the more you have,
the longer you live.
http://www.pbase.com/ejcsnapdragon
http://www.pbase.com/hamishcraig/jills_pics2
AngeloMeola
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

Post by AngeloMeola »

Quoting from the movie Logan's Run, "I'm as old as my nose and a little older than my teeth."
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

In about an hour, I'll officially be a year older than I am right now.

My daughter outed me in church this Sunday, standing up during announcements to wish her mom a happy 42nd birthday. I corrected her...I'm going to be thirty-twelve!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
antstastegood

Post by antstastegood »

Redwolf wrote:In about an hour, I'll officially be a year older than I am right now.

My daughter outed me in church this Sunday, standing up during announcements to wish her mom a happy 42nd birthday. I corrected her...I'm going to be thirty-twelve!
:party: Many happy returns, etc.
Unreasonable person,
ants
|___|)____________O___O___O___o__O___O_____|
Turner

Post by Turner »

The aged experienced ones such as myself have learnt moderation. I enjoy a beer, but wouldn't have more than 2 pints in a night
Wow people gain experience quick these days :P In my experience Girls/Ladies have always been a bit better moderating the amount of alcohol that they drink, My wife very rarely drinks, and if she does it would only be one glass of Baileys or something. I think Ladies are more conscious about their image, and would hate to wake up in the morning remembering that rendition of “simply the best” they sung on the Kareoke machine the night before!

In England I would say that drinking is more of a "one of the boys" thing. Most people would get legless as a result of peer pressure for their mates.

My days in the Army were spent mainly in a drunken stupor! In the Army you are seen as being very strange if you refuse a drink! It is all part of the lifestyle, the Army way. Most of the blokes don’t think anything of it because at the time are young and very fit.

There again I have never seen drinking, or getting drunk as a taboo thing, its pretty normal, I grew in a miners town, and for the miner population it is also quite normal to drink away your earnings. I don’t regard drinking to be anywhere in the same league as say Cocaine, Heroin. Therefore do not understand the US policy on the age of consent for drinking. after all if the kids really want to get off their heads, they could quite easily go to the drug dealer and buy some hash or Ecstasy etc! Iam sure he isn’t going to ask for ID. :roll:
:
Steven

Post by Steven »

Redwolf wrote:In about an hour, I'll officially be a year older than I am right now.

Redwolf
:lol: :lol: :lol: Thirty-twelve! I like that!

I hope you have a very happy thirty-twelfth birthday. Play a little tune, dance a little dance, eat a little cake.

:party:
Steven
Steven

Post by Steven »

madfifer9 wrote:Hey, I'm ex-Navy too, all you squids! Maybe we should start a new poll. I was in from 1986-1994. The last 4 I was in the Navy Band. Easiest job in the Navy... you show up in a clean uniform and play your ax. When you're not performing, you're practicing. And getting PAID fer it! How cushy is THAT??
Wow, there sure do seem to be an awful lot of Navy folks around here! I wasn't in myself, although my father-in-law is just now retiring from 36 years, so I at least get to hear lots of good Navy stories. Lemme tell ya, he's got some good ones, too! (He's a pilot. Pilots are crazy. Leads to good stories.)

:-)
Steven
TomB

Post by TomB »

Steven wrote:[Wow, there sure do seem to be an awful lot of Navy folks around here! I wasn't in myself, although my father-in-law is just now retiring from 36 years, so I at least get to hear lots of good Navy stories. Lemme tell ya, he's got some good ones, too! (He's a pilot. Pilots are crazy. Leads to good stories.)

:-)
Steven
Well, add me to the list of Navy folk- 20 years, retired from the Navy in 1995.

All the Best,

Tom
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
msheldon

Post by msheldon »

TomB wrote: Well, add me to the list of Navy folk- 20 years, retired from the Navy in 1995.
Ex-Navy also, 1985 - 1991

Spent four years of it assigned to the Marine Corps (hospital corps). The only thing I regret is that they wouldn't leave me on field duty for another tour or two. Seeing as how 24 seemed much too young to be stuck behind a desk for a few years, I got out.

Kinda weird to think that if I'd stayed in, I'd be eligible for retirement in another year and a half...
Michael Sheldon
Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a good book.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

I see a fairly well-defined bell curve shaping up here. It would be interesting to compare this with a curve of the general population to see if there is a definite shift toward a certain age group.
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

BrassBlower wrote:I see a fairly well-defined bell curve shaping up here. It would be interesting to compare this with a curve of the general population to see if there is a definite shift toward a certain age group.
It seems like a definite trend to the under 50 crowd, which stands to reason if you consider that that is the age group who grew up with computers as opposed to us over 50s who had computers unceremoniously thrust upon us in middle age.
Mike
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

BrassBlower wrote:I see a fairly well-defined bell curve shaping up here. It would be interesting to compare this with a curve of the general population to see if there is a definite shift toward a certain age group.
I see that so far (112 responses)74% are over 30,and 49% are over 40.
I wonder if a lot of us 'older' players are at an age where we are perhaps moving away from the Rock 'n' Roll of our younger days and listening to something a little more 'deep' (I almost typed sedate :lol: ).
I'm reminded of Dale's fervent admiration of 'The Flaming Lips' and his daughter's admonition,saying that he was too old for Rock at 47 (!) and it was about time he retired into Classical music. :roll:
I still enjoy the odd High volume Rock bash from time to time (I'm 44),and there are plenty of old Rockers still going strong - Lemmy of Motorhead is just a kid in his 50's.One of my faves-Link ('Rumble') Wray is still gigging at 74. 'Too old to Rock and Roll,too young to die.'?-RUBBISH!
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Jo C

Post by Jo C »

kevin m. wrote: I'm reminded of Dale's fervent admiration of 'The Flaming Lips' and his daughter's admonition,saying that he was too old for Rock at 47 (!) and it was about time he retired into Classical music. :roll:
I know plenty of young people who are really into 'classical' music. The kind of thing that 3 hours practise is normal, and the most important event in the day. Although I don't take it that far, classical music, when played well, can be just as excuiting and give just as much of an adrenaline rush as rock'n'roll or any other kind of music.

Jo.
Image Image Image
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

kevin m. wrote: I wonder if a lot of us 'older' players are at an age where we are perhaps moving away from the Rock 'n' Roll of our younger days and listening to something a little more 'deep' (I almost typed sedate :lol: ).
I'm reminded of Dale's fervent admiration of 'The Flaming Lips' and his daughter's admonition,saying that he was too old for Rock at 47 (!) and it was about time he retired into Classical music. :roll:
I still enjoy the odd High volume Rock bash from time to time (I'm 44),and there are plenty of old Rockers still going strong - Lemmy of Motorhead is just a kid in his 50's.One of my faves-Link ('Rumble') Wray is still gigging at 74. 'Too old to Rock and Roll,too young to die.'?-RUBBISH!
I see you quoted Ian Anderson at the end of your message. Jethro Tull's music has remained basically the same for the past thirty years, so why should we change our tune? And what about those bands who do such a great job of combining Trad and Rock (like Capercaillie and Steeleye Span)?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Kevin, you just reminded me of a very surreal moment I had not long ago. Walking past a senior housing complex one night, I heard some good old head-banger heavy metal music coming out of one of its 3rd-storey windows.

Ask not for whom the bell tolls... :lol: