OTL Language translation fun...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

OTL Language translation fun...

Post by brewerpaul »

Another thread brought up the topic of language translation, and this reminded me of the free language translation services which are available online. One is freetranslations.com
You can have a lot of fun with these by entering some very familiar text ( Pledge of Allegiance, song lyrics, etc), translating them into another language, then copying that translation into the translator and converting it back into English. You can even go through several languages on the way back into English, but the results usually get 'way too garbled.
For example, here is America the Beautiful translated into Spanish, then back to English:

Oh beautiful for spacious skies for grain amber waves for majesties púrpuras through the plain of fruited. America, America, the God moved its grace in it, AND in
the crown good your with the fraternity, of the sea al brilliant sea.

Have fun!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
lollycross
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lollycross »

No wonder we all can't get along in this world.
We still have no idea what each other is saying!

Lolly
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

The saying "Out of sight, out of mind" translates to...

"Invisible idiot" :lol:
No whistles were harmed in the transmission of this communication.
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

Sometimes I work my answers with a service of translation before it fixes to this forum

Sywet Motos
Tom Dowling
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

My earliest recollection of a purported English to Russian 'computer translation' of an adage with odd results is:

INPUT: "The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."

OUTPUT: "The wine is good, but the meat is rotten."

Tom D.
EricWingler

Post by EricWingler »

I veell not buy thees record. Eet ees scratched. :)
Eric Wingler
A Whistling Mathematician
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I once had an email aquaintance from Italy. I bought some new translation software and translated my email to him. He said I could understand his English better then he could understand the translation software's Italian. :lol:
Sara

Post by Sara »

My mom wrote a letter in English one time and translated it to French, and then to English again . . . to say the least, we got quite a laugh out of that! :lol: Completely changed the meaning of certain words, jumbled it up - it was hilarious!
Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.

You can't hear the truth over your own lawnmower, man!
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

Last week, I had to translate a business letter into French and it included a lot of Information Technology lingo. When I left France in 1979, those words hadn't been invented yet. So, I decided to try one of the web-based translators... Needless to say I am not going to win my firm any new business with the results... :lol:
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Mark Twain wrote a piece along these lines when he found his "Jumping Frog" story had lost everything that made it funny when it was translated it into French. So he translated it back into English from the French translation. Here's an excerpt.

The "Jumping Frog"
In English. Then in French. Then Clawed Back into a Civilized Language Once More by Patient, Unremunerated Toil.

In English --

The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County

Well, there was a feller here, once by the name of Jim Smiley, in the winter of '49 -- or maybe it was the spring of '50 -- I don't recollect exactly, somehow, though what makes me think it was one or the other is because I remember the big flume warn't finished when he first come to the camp; but anyway, he was the curiousest man about always betting on anything that turned up you ever see, if he could get anybody to bet on the other side; and if he couldn't he'd change sides. Any way that suited the other man would suit him -- any way just so's he got a bet, he was satisfied. But still he was lucky, uncommon lucky; he most always come out winner. He was always ready and laying for a chance; there couldn't be no solit'ry thing mentioned but that feller'd offer to bet on it, and take any side you please, as I was just telling you. If there was a horse-race, you'd find him flush or you'd find him busted at the end of it; if there was a dog-fight, he'd bet on it; if there was a cat-fight, he'd bet on it; if there was a chicken-fight, he'd bet on it; why, if there was two birds setting on a fence, he would bet you which one would fly first . . .

Translated back from the French --

The Frog Jumping of the County of Calaveras

It there was one time here an individual known under the name of Jim Smiley; it was in the winter of '89, possibly well at the spring of '50, I no me recollect not exactly. This which me makes to believe that it was the one or the other, it is that I shall remember that the grand flume is not achieved when he arrives at the camp for the first time, but of all sides he was the man the most fond of to bet which one have seen, betting upon all that which is presented, when he could find an adversary; and when he not of it could not, he passed to the side opposed. All that which convenienced to the other to him convenienced also; seeing that he had a bet Smiley was satisfied. And he had a chance! a chance even worthless; nearly always he gained. It must to say that he was always near to himself expose, but one no could mention the least thing without that this gaillard offered to bet the bottom, no matter what, and to take the side that one him would, as I you it said all at the hour (tout à l'heure). If it there was of races, you him find rich or ruined at the end; if it, here is a combat of dogs, he bring his bet; he himself laid always for a combat of cats, for a combat of cocks -- by-blue! If you have see two birds upon a fence, he you should have offered of to bet which of those birds shall fly the first . . .

That's enough. If you want to read the whole thing, it's at http://www.boondocksnet.com/twaintexts/ ... rench.html
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

EricWingler wrote:I veell not buy thees record. Eet ees scratched. :)
No, no. This is a tabbaconist.
/Bloomfield