Windsor Whistle Meet Pics

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Duckrasta
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Windsor Whistle Meet Pics

Post by Duckrasta »

Hey folks!! I'm finally getting around to posting the pictures of the recent whistle meet in Windsor ( a big :roll: to the Rocky Mountain folks). For fear of getting names wrong, I am going to leave some out, so people can introduce themselves. I just noticed that a lot of the pictures feature whistle playing, but that is decieving. There was a good variety of instruments, including many flutes. So, here we go...

MarkB and thurlowe

Bob Baksi

Janice on flute

SteveK

Eubiedubie

Janice and a local fiddler ( cant remember name)

Bob Baksi

And of course, here is the entire crew (I'm on the far right, the "young" one)
Jack

Post by Jack »

I have my own self conscious mental issues about pictures, so I never know what to say (if anything) about other people's pictures because no matter what you say it can be taken the wrong way and people get hurt and I don't want to do that.

That said, for some reason, it surprises me each time I realise that most people here are 20 years older than me. I imagine everybody around 25 or younger. lol
msheldon

Post by msheldon »

Cranberry wrote:That said, for some reason, it surprises me each time I realise that most people here are 20 years older than me.
Sigh....

Enjoy your surprise m'dear. Imagine mine when I realized that only a couple of the regular folks at my local session are older than me. Most of the regulars are at least a couple years my junior, and a few are significantly more than a decade my junior.

Of course, it's not that I'm that old, it's all those durned kids! :lol:
Michael Sheldon
Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a good book.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

The fiddle player's name is Clare. I don't think he's a C&F participant. Thanks for putting the pictures up Duckrasta. We really had a great time.

Steve
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I always enjoy seeing pictures of folks I chat with on C&F, especially nice to see Thurlowe as I know she can blow a mean whistle!

Thanks Ducky!
Last edited by Martin Milner on Mon Jun 09, 2003 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
skh

Post by skh »

thurlowe: what are you playing on the 5th one (from above)? (Yes, whistle. What make of whistle, then. ;-))

Sonja
Shut up and play.
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

Cranberry wrote
> it surprises me each time I realise that
>most people here are 20 years older than me.
>I imagine everybody around 25 or younger. lol

LOL
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Thanks Kevin. Now I HAVE to go to the next one. Is that Guinness I see in those glasses on the table???

The whistle Thurlowe is blowing is her magnificent Abell.

I personally am glad to see that many of the players are of my generation.

I sometimes stop and say, "Why do I do this. I'm 44 years old. Shouldn't I be doing something 'more grown up' then spending hours every week blowing whistles and flutes for a silly renfaire?

But then I come to my senses.

I saw a little thing on TV last week about a guy in his 80's who plays trumpet. He's been playing since he was a kid and says he'll play until he dies. What an inspiration.
Paul Reid
antispam: No

Post by Paul Reid »

Hey Duck, where in Windsor was that? Didn't know you folks were getting together - would hav tried to be there. My wife's from Windsor and we're due for a visit to the in-laws. (That isn't the pub by the University is it?)

Cheers! Looked like fun!

PR
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Paul Reid wrote:Hey Duck, where in Windsor was that? Didn't know you folks were getting together - would hav tried to be there. My wife's from Windsor and we're due for a visit to the in-laws. (That isn't the pub by the University is it?)
PR
I'm not Duck but the event was at the Kildare House. I don't know where it is in relation to the university but I somehow don't think it's very close. Word has it that another is being planned for late fall but MarkB will probably make an official announcement about that since he's the organizer.

Steve
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Great pictures Kevin, thank you!

Paul, the Kildare House is in the Old Walkerville area of Windsor, across town from the university.

Yes I am planning another gathering, Cara and I have chosen November 1st., a Saturday, which is also Duckrasta's birthday, and legally able to drink in Ontario. So there is an incentive for him to attend.

It will be an overnighter this time and will PM everyone on what I am thinking and willing to plan, then the formal announcement.

It was enthusicastically agreed that another Whistle In should be done.

It was a great time but all to short. A big thank you to all who attended.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
CDon

Post by CDon »

Cranberry wrote:That said, for some reason, it surprises me each time I realise that most people here are 20 years older than me. I imagine everybody around 25 or younger. lol
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
<i>"If music be the food of love, play on;" William Shakespeare – Twelfth Night, Act I, Scene 1</i>
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Thanks for sharing the photo's with us- you all certainly look as if you are enjoying yourselves.
Mind you,I bet that the surroundings helped-that looks like a REAL Pub, as opposed to the characterless 'Bars' which are often the norm no matter where you go these days!
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Kevin.M, it is a real pub! We have our sessions there on Tuesday nights. And the owner is always booking ITM bands on the weekends. There's Set dancing on Wednesday nights to live music.

The Kildare House is a great place to spend/play/drink some time in. And the owner has a cultural mandate to keep the Gaelic spirit alive and living in Windsor.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

Cranberry
Don't feel bad. Everyone here appears to be 20 years younger than me.

I would like to get up that way myself. My German ancestors settled in Norfolk around Middleton or Townsend. Looks like everyone was having fun. A great Whistlein.
Ron