Favourite slow airs

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

FJohnSharp wrote:Star of the County Down as I learned it is a polka. Is there an air version?
I've never heard it played as a polka. I have played it in jig time occasionally, just for fun (it works well that way!), but it's a song tune, and thus an air. I've heard it played in a rather ploddingly slow 4/4 (doesn't work for me), but when I play it, I pick it up to 2/4...about the tempo at which The Irish Rovers sing it. It doesn't have that polka lilt...it's more like a march.

The version I know goes:

FBBBAFddedefedBAFA (I don't know proper ABC, but you get the gist...capital letters are lower octave).

Is that the one you know?

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Inisheer, Come By the Hills and (sorry, but) Londonderry Air, aka Danny Boy
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

The Star of the County Down
She Moves Through the Fair

and my very favorite(even if it's not strictly "trad")

Caoineadh Cu Chullain
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Redwolf wrote:
FJohnSharp wrote:Star of the County Down as I learned it is a polka. Is there an air version?
I've never heard it played as a polka. I have played it in jig time occasionally, just for fun (it works well that way!), but it's a song tune, and thus an air. I've heard it played in a rather ploddingly slow 4/4 (doesn't work for me), but when I play it, I pick it up to 2/4...about the tempo at which The Irish Rovers sing it. It doesn't have that polka lilt...it's more like a march.

The version I know goes:

FBBBAFddedefedBAFA (I don't know proper ABC, but you get the gist...capital letters are lower octave).

Is that the one you know?

Redwolf
My error. I learned it as a march.

Mine goes AAAGA CCdCd edCAF GEG etc. I learned it as a set with Dawning of the Day march. It was one of my early lessons.
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

Jim_mc,
Check PM.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

The first time I heard Star of the County Down was on "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" by Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. I think they do it in 3/4 time.
Doña L

favorite slow airs

Post by Doña L »

In addition to all those Irish lovelies, I would add "O Son Do Ar," a beautiful Galician slow air by Bieito Romero of the group Luar na Lubre. You can hear it on Mike Oldfield's "Voyager" album, and the music is available on the group's website. A very easy, but impressive air for beginners.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

ANYTHING by Turlough O'Carolan!
glauber

Post by glauber »

If you have Geraldine Cotter's "100 Tunes" CD (a great CD to have), the last half of the 2nd CD is all slow airs, all good.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Soineanta

Post by Soineanta »

These topics are helpful, but I always have difficulty finding internet recordings of the tunes. Besides Clips 'n' Snips, what are some good online (accurate! I've found some horribly horrible ones..) databases for Trad music? Thanks.
~Sara S.~
"We don't build statues to worship the exceptional life; we build them to remind ourselves what is possible in our own." - unknown
lilymaid

Post by lilymaid »

I'd forgotten "Star of the County Down." I used to play it all of the time and shall have to remember it now. :)

I'd never thought to play "Come by the Hills" or "She Moved Through the Fair" on whistle, either. They should be easy because I know them as songs.

Thank you everyone.

(edited due to my spelling impairment)
Last edited by lilymaid on Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catch from the board of beauty
Such careless crumbs as fall.
- Edna St. Vincent Millay
StewySmoot

Air-head

Post by StewySmoot »

What about "Airs from Tyre"? :roll:
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

The tune "Farewell to Glasgow" from the CD "When Junipers Sleep" by????? is a beautiful tune and easily learned right off the CD. I regret that I have forgotten the artist's name, But I'm relatively confident that it is an Irish name. My copy of the CD is on loan to a certain someone (HELLO JIM!!) who borrowed it from me, allegedly as part of his ongoing "Mid-Range D" whistle comparison research.

GoodLuck!!

Tom D.
msheldon

Post by msheldon »

My current favorites (top 5):

An Feochán (Gentle Breeze)
Caoineadh Cu Chulainn
The Immigrant
Eleanor Plunkett
Buachaill An Eirne
Michael Sheldon
Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a good book.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Tom Dowling wrote:The tune "Farewell to Glasgow" from the CD "When Junipers Sleep" by????? is a beautiful tune and easily learned right off the CD. I regret that I have forgotten the artist's name, But I'm relatively confident that it is an Irish name. My copy of the CD is on loan to a certain someone (HELLO JIM!!) who borrowed it from me, allegedly as part of his ongoing "Mid-Range D" whistle comparison research.

GoodLuck!!

Tom D.
Seamus Egan. It is a lovely tune.

Carol