OT: Soup

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
picardy third
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by picardy third »

My favorite is tortilla soup. Great soutwestern meal! It is my specialty dish with homemade tortilla chips. My secret is lots of garlic, cilantro, and the hottest peppers I can find! (Oh, and maybe some tequila!) :lol: That is the only soup that makes since for summer.
picardy
"Have a cluckity-cluck-cluck day."
Cori

Garlic ... food of the Gods ...

Post by Cori »

Garlic soup!<br>
It's more of a winter dish than summer, perhaps, but since that season is kicking in down here on the underside of the planet, it works well. It involves a good few bulbs of garlic, white wine and simmering for an hour. The last batch I made actually made me & housemate feel hyper-energetic for at least an hour - quite the rush!
All we have to decide is what to do with the tune that is given us.
Tweaked from Tolkien
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

whenever we have turkey or a leg of ham, when most of the meat is gone, my mom makes a big pot of soup out of it and potatoes and whatever kind of veggies we happen to have in the fridge at the moment. Good stuff. Beef stew is also a favorite. :D
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Jack

Post by Jack »

Uh...stew and soup are two different things.
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Leek and potato soup:

Several russet potatoes (about 5-6), peeled and cut into chunks
A bunch of leeks, the greens and roots removed and the white part chopped up lengthwise, grit rinsed out
Some chicken broth to cover it all, not too much (the broth is only to cook the vegetables)
Salt, celery seed

Simmer it until everything is squishy, mash with a potato ricer but leave some chunks. Add some cream or half and half until it has a nice color.

Easy and always unbelievably good!

Put a pat of butter on top to serve...

Robin
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

picardy third wrote:My favorite is tortilla soup. Great soutwestern meal! It is my specialty dish with homemade tortilla chips. My secret is lots of garlic, cilantro, and the hottest peppers I can find! (Oh, and maybe some tequila!) :lol: That is the only soup that makes since for summer.
picardy
Can I have your recipe? I collect soup recipes, especially recipes involving chilis!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
picardy third

Post by picardy third »

Redwolf,
I'll pm you the recipe for my tortilla soup. It is one of those soups that you really can't ruin. You just throw in what you like and leave out what you don't. I use the recipe as a guide but almost never make it the same way twice. Let me pull it out and send it to you later.
picardy
"Have a cluckity-cluck-cluck day."
pthouron

Re: soup

Post by pthouron »

Bloomfield wrote:The dreary hours I spent in the kitchen, pealing roots and shaving truffles, sauteeing, deglazing, blanching... it defies telling. Now I won't even go anywhere near food between meals, unless I am hungry.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
pixyy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

A good Onion Soup...
The version I make uses the liquid from cooking beetroots (so onion soup is always followed by some beetroot dish).
Lots of golden sauteed onion rings, beet water, bay leaf, thyme, garlic and other goodies.

Another soup is some Ayurvedic recipe for a 'cold be gone' soup. My wife makes it. It includes large chunks of fresh ginger and whole peppercorns. Chinese cabbage and rice cooked in the soup. Hard to describe, hard to resist :-)

And the old time favourite: Tomato Soup!!! :tomato:
Italian style, with bazzill. Hmmmm
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

This is my famous chicken antioxident soup. I came up with it when my housemate had a cold a couple of years ago. It fixed her right up.

1. Saute the following together in olive oil for a few minutes:
a medium onion, chopped
3-4 fat garlic cloves, chopped
a medium orange bell pepper, chopped
2-3 jalapeno peppers, sliced
2 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. dried (not powdered) sage
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. salt (or more, or less)

2. Add the following and cook for a few more minutes:
one large zucchini, diced
one large yellow crookneck squash, diced
a handful of sliced white mushrooms
2 tomatoes, peeled/seeded/diced

3. Add
one whole 3-1/2 pound chicken
one 16-oz. can of garbanzo beans
one 12-oz bottle of lager
juice of one large lime
enough stock to cover everything

4. Simmer for an hour or so.

5. Remove the chicken, take the meat off the bones, chop the meat, and return it to the pot. Add another lime's worth of juice (or more) and a handful of chopped cilantro before serving.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Tyghress's Crab Corn Chowder

crisp brown three slices of bacon, drain, crumble and reserve
pour off most of the fat, and in the remainder sautee one sliced medium yellow onion and two stalks of diced celery until opaque and slightly soft
add in three diced thin skinned potatos and enough chicken broth to cover, and simmer until the potato is soft. Add in 1 to 2 cups of corn kernels. Fresh is best, frozen will do, canned if you absolutely have to.

Obtain a half pound of fresh-picked crabmeat (I have a source in Bass Harbor ME if you're up there) and add it to the chowder.
Add in enough half and half to make the chowder the right color. Heat until it steams, but is not boiling. Salt and pepper to taste. Add a shot of Tabasco if desired

Serve with 'oyster crackers'. Better the second day.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

mmmm. To all of them.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Rockymtnpiper

Post by Rockymtnpiper »

Garlic soup!
:boggle: Not me.. Isnt that the foul tasting stuff the Smurfs had to eat, (Grelsh??) on that episode where they turn into evil Smurfs, biting each other and saying "GANNAP!" ???
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Why has no one mentioned Mulligatawny Stew?
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Time I joined the numberless fat whistlers and revealed a few of my favourites. A Celtic site and no votes yet for Cock-a-leekie and Sheep Shank soup, otherwise known I believe as Scotch Broth? Well they have my vote and I follow the traditional Scottish recipes of course, ie, the ones my mother taught me.

Now for others. French Onion Soup is strangely absent; do I infer from this that people no longer have three days to prepare a meal. Vegetable soup is fine too, but why call it that when you could call it Minestrone and make it sound really delicious. Lentil Soup and Split Pea Soup are other favourites. Long Soup is another. I could go on ... and on ... and, I'm hungry it must be meal time.