Fighting the fiddler

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

That's a beautiful flute! Just a little out of my price range though .
I agree. If I had a ten thousand dollar flute...I doubt I'd even play it for fear of breaking it.
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Eivind wrote:A hat...! :-D Thats a good one, but I realize you are absolutely right!
Plus, it also adds image. A wonderful idea, thanks :-)

Eivind
You might want to take this a step further and try a variation of the singers' trick of putting a hand over one ear. Now this trick will have a detrimental effect on your playing if you try it in the pure form. My suggestion: use one ear plug.

That aside, you speak of a band. If you have a band you should be using amplification. If you do, you can play the quietest whistle and still be heard. BTW, an Overton high D would be a very good choice. But if you use a mic, the volume of the whistle isn't an issue: just choose the one you like best when playing solo or the one that blends best with the fiddle when you aren't.
msheldon

Post by msheldon »

Zubivka wrote:For one, Sankt Theoboehm the Bald made both silver and wood keyed flutes. As for a contemporary maker, see:
Gorgeous, just.... wow!

Actually, the bad part is that at that price, an antique Rose Carte is downright cheap..
Michael Sheldon
Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a good book.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

"Fightin' the Fiddler".

Sounds like it could be the name of a tune.

Pat O'Herlahee and the Brogan Boys with their new CD, "Fightin the Fiddler".

Tracks include: Fightin the Fiddler, Paddy Bust the Bodran Player, Maid a' Punchin' the Harpest, Whippin the Whistler.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
serpent

Post by serpent »

geek4music wrote:"Fightin' the Fiddler".

Tracks include: Fightin the Fiddler, Paddy Bust the Bodran Player, Maid a' Punchin' the Harpest, Whippin the Whistler.
You are incredibly funny today! :D I'd love to hear them tunes!!!

Shameless plug: Check out my announce earlier today. Sorry, Stacey, you lose...
serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
energy

Post by energy »

ErikT wrote:
Eivind wrote:I completely understand your philosophy, but thing is the fiddler tend to get excited
Ha! :) I understand. Those fiddlers - you'd think that the lack of frets would makes them feel inferior, but no sir-ree ;)
*snooty look here*

Heh. Frets are just crutches for the intonation impaired. ;) :D ;)
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

energy wrote:eh. Frets are just crutches for the intonation impaired. ;) :D ;)
Wwwright... So toneholes are for those who can't play proper slide-whistle? :lol:

ErikT

Post by ErikT »

energy wrote:
ErikT wrote:
Eivind wrote:I completely understand your philosophy, but thing is the fiddler tend to get excited
Ha! :) I understand. Those fiddlers - you'd think that the lack of frets would makes them feel inferior, but no sir-ree ;)
*snooty look here*

Heh. Frets are just crutches for the intonation impaired. ;) :D ;)
I was wondering who I'd draw out with that one :)
Hiro Ringo

Post by Hiro Ringo »

Being quiet, but audible in a comfortable manner.
IMO,this is the important aspect of whistles.

Whistles can be loud, at the price of something good.
And in the long run,in most cases,loud whistles will probably give you a good motive for playing flutes.That's why I believe whistles being loud are optional. Not specialized area as whistles.

I don't want to play something designed as the stepping-stone toward something else.
I want to play the whistle designed as a goal in wind instruments.

grrrrr, extremely difficult to express what I think now...... :twisted:

BTW,playing a bit out of tune intentionally or taking the tone pitch a little bit higher will let you get audible.These are all the solutions I know of without playing flutes/loud whistles.
picardy third

Post by picardy third »

The great thing about fighting a fiddler is that you could risk destroying your whistle by clocking him in the head, but no real loss since your instrument cost between $5 and $500 (good chance of being on the lower end of that range). The fiddler has a lot more to lose if he uses his instrument as a weapon (say several thousand dollars), so my guess is that the fiddler would back down first. Also, whistles are more aerodynamic than a fiddle. :D

Of course, if the fiddler could somehow use his fiddle as a bow and arrow, then it could get ugly.
"Have a cluckity-cluck-cluck day."
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Fiddlers really could stand to be trimmed down to size just a hair (no puns intended). I read somewhere that there was no difference between a violin and a viola. It's just that the violinists head is so much bigger that it only makes the violin seem smaller.

Try graduating from the whistle to the uilleann pipes. That'll give the fiddlers a new perspective on their fiddles and fiddlesticks! :D
Eivind

Post by Eivind »

geek4music wrote:"Fightin' the Fiddler".

Haha! :D Those tunes need to be written! I'm up for it! See you guys next christmas.... "Whippin' the Whistler"...gh.. :lol:

/@ivind
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Eivind wrote:A hat...! :-D Thats a good one, but I realize you are absolutely right!
Plus, it also adds image. A wonderful idea, thanks :-)

Eivind
I think I should add for clarity that this has to be a hat with an all round brim - a wobby pom-pom hat or a Fez isn't going to help much. :D

I've got a lovely Trilby I never get to wear in public because all my friends rib me mercilessly - maybe I could use the "sound reflection" excuse!

Edit: Just realised I typed wobby instead of wooly. I think I prefer wobby.

p.s. the gent in the picture on the left is wearing a trilby hat!
Last edited by Martin Milner on Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
picardy third

Post by picardy third »

Martin Milner wrote: I think I should add for clarity that this has to be a hat with an all round brim - a wobby pom-pom hat or a Fez isn't going to help much. :D
NOW you tell me! :)
"Have a cluckity-cluck-cluck day."
DazedinLA

Post by DazedinLA »

Eivind wrote:Erik,

I completely understand your philosophy, but thing is the fiddler tend to get excited and give it more and more guts as we play - eventually, I get lost :-)

Dazed Industries now offers an electrified chair for the discipline of overly-enthusiastic fiddlers, complete with a foot-pedal triggerswitch that can be operated hands-free by any flute or whistle player. Available in "Gentle Reminder to Be Quieter" 50 Volts, "Hey, Calm Down" 100 Volts, "You're Getting on My Nerves, so Take That!!!!" 300 Volts, and "Terminate with Extreme Prejudice" 720 Volts