OT: My blood pressure and Danish engineers.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT: My blood pressure and Danish engineers.

Post by Dale »

Or, better title: OT: Tvilum-Scanbirk & the Land of Legal Narcotics

Ok, so, Marilyn and I just bought a very attractive bookshelf with glass doors from Organized Living. Manufactured in Denmark by a company called T v i l u m-Scanbirk. As they say on their website:

Koncernen udvikler, producerer og sælger et stort sortiment af plademøbler baseret på spån- eller MDF-plader, der er beklædt med folie, melamin eller finer.

Well, you’re damn right. Never mind that this text reminds me of NOTHING other than the opening credits of MONTY PYTHON AND THE FREAKIN’ HOLY GRAIL.

This is the kind of bookshelf/cabinet many of you are already familiar with. You see it in the store. It looks good. The price is right. You buy it and they load it into your geriatric Dodge Caravan in dishearteningly FLAT, nearly 2-dimensional boxes. That’s right. “Some assembly required.” Never mind that you open the boxes and discover bags and bags of loose parts, unlabeled panels—and then you discover that NO TWO PARTS ARE ALREADY ASSEMBLED and you think, “Hmmm, no-o-o-, ‘some assembly’ is not accurate. TOTAL AND COMPLETE ASSEMBLY IS REQUIRED.”

No problem, I have built MANY pre-fab bookshelves and cabinets from fine American companies like Sauder. They aren’t located in Denmark, where there are legal narcotics and hallucinogens freely available to Tvilium-Scanbirk’s engineers, designers, and technical writers. But, I digress.

SO, the nice people at Tveililrum-Scanbyork, or whatever, are SENSITIVE to the fact that they sell products to unsuspecting Americans who, for the most part, DON’T SPEAK DANISH. So, they don’t want to confuse us, so they include assembly instructions that include NO TEXT WHATSOEVER. NONE. Not English, not Danish, not Chhattisgarhi. No text at all. So, no problem, right? Since they are unwilling to part with the Danish Pesos (or Euros, or whatever) to pay one of the MANY PEOPLE IN DENMARK WHO SPEAK ENGLISH to write English instructions—all they have to do, right, is include really good diagrams and drawings. Sure, no problem. But, no-o-o, that would cost some Danish funds, too. No, no. They need those funds for…hash, evidently. So, just include BAD diagrams, BADLY reproduced and VAGUE AS HELL. Sure. No reason to be all anal-retentive like those AMERICAN engineers. This is the freaking DANISH SCHOOL OF IMPRESSIONISTIC ENGINEERING. You know, ‘put that dowel rod in this hole, if you’d like, or maybe one of the other many holes we’ve provided you. Whatever YOU think.'

Thank you.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Unbelievable. :roll:

Hey, there are Danish speakers on board here, aren't there?
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Seriously, though, Dale... Tell us what you really think.

I don't know that we've ever seen you this worked up - if asked, I'd have thought you COULDN'T get this worked up.

And I thought that it couldn't get any worse than Korean instructions translated into English by an engineer who only speaks Punjabi and/ or Urdu.
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Dale,

I sense you are frustrated...

I'm NOT Danish.
Jeroen
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

pixyy wrote:Dale,

I'm NOT Danish.
Jeroen
Right. How can I be sure?
Dale
The Landlord

Update on my war with the Danish

Post by Dale »

1. My wife has her finger in a cup of ice because she tried to help me fight the Danish corporation.

2. The thing nearly toppled over and fell on us.

Neither of these is probably directly the fault of the Danish furniture designers that are now my enemies. But, I think we can agree that is not the point.

3. The thing is nearly finished and it's nearly as attractive as it was in the store. Marilyn and I, however, are nearly finished and are not nearly as attractive as we were in the store.
Paul

Post by Paul »

When you posted "danish engineers" and "blood pressure" I thought you meant some snack cake company. :D
blackhawk

Re: OT: My blood pressure and Danish engineers.

Post by blackhawk »

DaleWisely wrote:SO, the nice people at Tveililrum-Scanbyork, or whatever, are SENSITIVE to the fact that they sell products to unsuspecting Americans who, for the most part, DON’T SPEAK DANISH. So, they don’t want to confuse us, so they include assembly instructions that include NO TEXT WHATSOEVER. NONE. Not English, not Danish, not Chhattisgarhi.
No way! Are you serious? What if the only tools you have are Chhattisgarhian? How can you expect tools to work in a language with which they aren't familiar? The barbarians! Oh the inhumanity of it all, the racial discrimination, the humidity!
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Jack

Post by Jack »

I'd love to be Danish. But sadly, I am just not.
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

sings; There is NOTHING like a DANE, Nothing in the world....

'South Pacific' by Rodgers and Hammerstein.
(Maybe I heard it wrong) :lol:

Hey Dale 'Hammerstein' sounds suspiciously Danish... :o
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Sounds like an IKEA hangover. Don't even get me started about that place and their outlandishly named products. Stuff seems great at first, once you clear the assembly hurdle then it falls apart if you have kids that "torque" things by actually living with them. Thanks to a local ACE hardware store, I was able to replace metric threaded rods that got cross-threaded the first time my son "helped" me assemble his gray metal bedstand.

The honeymoon is over for me there and with any Scandi-furn. You know, Americans make some of the nicest furniture in the world, but its pricey.
Paul

Post by Paul »

We have this area of town up I-85 with all of these furniture outlets nearby. There are more than a few Skandihoovian furniture stores there. Anyway, I have been trying to talk my wife into this table. It is really unusual. In its normal position, its round and it sits like 4 people, but if you open it up and turn a crank, and let this thigamabob come up from the middle, it expands into a kind of triangular shape and will seat like, 6. It is totally cool. Dale, no assembly required! :D
Jack

Post by Jack »

I've seen tables like that before, but instead of a crank, the table pulls apart and a piece of wood goes in there. Underneath the table top there is a place to store the extra section.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

This thread makes me grateful that I can build my own stuff.

Although I must admit, I'm definitely partial to those white and natural Windsor chair/table combinations that come from Indonesia and Malasia.

That stuff is made of hevea wood, by the way, which is rubber tree wood from plantations. After 25 years, the rubber trees stop producing latex and have to be cut down and replanted. It yields a beautiful, golden, hard wood that doesn't deplete the forests.

We've got 13 of those chairs and three different versions of the tables. (We're up to five children with three more on the way. Dale, we'll be calling you for advice any day now.)
madfifer9

Post by madfifer9 »

Dale, I'm glad to hear that you, your wife and your bookcase are all still in one piece... each.

I found an online Danish translation service that states, "A team of excellent translators (all native Danes) are available - no projects are too big or too small." Do you think this one is too small? ;-)

We have some IKEA barstools at work. As Weeks mentioned, usually their products have unpronounceable one-word names like Hralgr. But these barstools have the oddly comforting name of Dennis.

madfifer9
a moose once bit my sister
When whistles are outlawed, only outlaws will have whistles!