Weird but very cool looking whistle on Ebay...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
allezlesbleus
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Weird but very cool looking whistle on Ebay...

Post by allezlesbleus »

Anyone seen anything like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... tegory=624

I've never seen a mouthpiece on a whistle like this, I guess you stick it in your mouth like a straw? The loop on the bottom looks like a thumbrest, but the one on the top? Maybe for a string around the neck?

How old do you figure it is?

Looks pretty cool though...

PC
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

"Flageolet", maybe? :o
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

It does look cool.

However, judging by the fact that the toneholes appear equal sized and evenly spaced, I doubt it's in tune.

(And I've no notion how one would go about tweaking such a thing.)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I wouldn't tweak it. It's a collectible, possibly antique. Besides, playing it as is would offer a demonstration in Unjust Intonation. :wink:
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

It's a French Flageolet. I have one, which I bought from another listmember. As Jerry points out, the intonation is horrible, however, the sound is unlike any whistle. It's extremely tinny. There's a piece missing, which is essentially a sharping lever. I have no idea why it works, but a cork covers half the window, thereby sharping the note half a tone.

I'm not sure how old it is -- I would guess around turn of the century, but it's a blind guess.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Nanohedron wrote:I wouldn't tweak it. It's a collectible, possibly antique. Besides, playing it as is would offer a demonstration in Unjust Intonation. :wink:
I wouldn't tweak it either. But it's discouraging, not to mention humbling, to be confronted with a whistle that I wouldn't know how to tweak. Makes you realize how small and insignificant we are in the grand scheme of things. Sigh.
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

I have what is essentially the same item, but in an early (1930's/40's? earlier?) kind of plastic, and might have a wider bore. Mine has that same finned mouthpiece, which is removable, and the same chamber between the fins and the fipple blade. Musically, it's a little 'flat' across the board, but consistently so. When I first got it, also from an E-Bay auction, I couldn't figure out why it sounded so bad--until I looked inside and saw actual cobwebs!! After a little soap and water, it got as good as it's gonna get. If someone can tell me how to put a digital photo on the message board (without a website to 'URL' it from), let me know, and I will post a shot of it. It is neat looking in an 'early industrial' kind of way.

(PS: I predict a bidding frenzy and a final price of $50.00 US plus for the one up for auction at this time, though I will not be among the bidders.)

Tom D.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Tom Dowling wrote:I have what is essentially the same item, but in an early (1930's/40's? earlier?) kind of plastic, and might have a wider bore. Mine has that same finned mouthpiece, which is removable, and the same chamber between the fins and the fipple blade. Musically, it's a little 'flat' across the board, but consistently so. When I first got it, also from an E-Bay auction, I couldn't figure out why it sounded so bad--until I looked inside and saw actual cobwebs!! After a little soap and water, it got as good as it's gonna get. If someone can tell me how to put a digital photo on the message board (without a website to 'URL' it from), let me know, and I will post a shot of it. It is neat looking in an 'early industrial' kind of way.

(PS: I predict a bidding frenzy and a final price of $50.00 US plus for the one up for auction at this time, though I will not be among the bidders.)

Tom D.
Tom...there are several photo hosting sites that will let you upload digital photos into on-line "albums," and most of them will allow remote linking. I use both Snapfish and Imagestation, and I know there are others as well. They're free, and they'll talk you through the upload process. Once the photo's' on-line, you can use the "IMG" button here to link to it (right click on the image to get its URL).

Redwolf
chas

Post by chas »

Jerry Freeman wrote:
I wouldn't tweak it either. But it's discouraging, not to mention humbling, to be confronted with a whistle that I wouldn't know how to tweak. Makes you realize how small and insignificant we are in the grand scheme of things. Sigh.
The sound absolutely doesn't need to be tweaked. As for the intonation, I've tried partially covering some of the holes, which will bring some notes into tune, but it would also require reaming out others, which I'm not willint to do. Yet.

Tom, I wouldn't call 50 dollars for this a feeding frenzy. It's really a cool instrument, very old and of historical value. I think I paid 35 and feel like it could be worth twice that. If it goes to 200, THAT would be a feeding frenzy.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Claus von Weiss

Post by Claus von Weiss »

Bugger, and I had dreamed, nobody from the board would notice. :tantrum:

Claus aka musical_priest
Tim

Post by Tim »

The picture looks more magical than musical - but that's no bad thing. Some whistles are meant to be played, others collected.

One of the whistles I'm proudest to own is an antique silver one in B natural, with the mouthpeice on one side. With the key its in it's no use in sessions, but it just looks good and gives me pleasure simply from owning it.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Ever what it is, and ever how it's tuned, that is an interesting flageol.
allezlesbleus

Post by allezlesbleus »

Tim wrote: One of the whistles I'm proudest to own is an antique silver one in B natural, with the mouthpeice on one side. With the key its in it's no use in sessions, but it just looks good and gives me pleasure simply from owning it.

You've got any pictures you can post, Tim? Sounds pretty cool, and pretty.

PC
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Jerry Freeman wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:I wouldn't tweak it. It's a collectible, possibly antique. Besides, playing it as is would offer a demonstration in Unjust Intonation. :wink:
Tut, tut, Jerry! To say such revealing things to those of us who, with upturned eyes, look upon you as a tweaker non pareil. For my part, I am crushed. :wink:
CDon

Post by CDon »

chas wrote:It's a French Flageolet. I have one, which I bought from another listmember. As Jerry points out, the intonation is horrible, however, the sound is unlike any whistle. It's extremely tinny. There's a piece missing, which is essentially a sharping lever. I have no idea why it works, but a cork covers half the window, thereby sharping the note half a tone.
Which half of the window does the cork cover? Top or bottom, left or right? All it does is literally cover part of the window? :-?
<i>"If music be the food of love, play on;" William Shakespeare – Twelfth Night, Act I, Scene 1</i>