Bellows trouble

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
marquard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Bellows trouble

Post by marquard »

I am a beginner having some troubles with the bellows.

First, my right arm seems to be in the way of the bellow’s intake valve. Moving it out of the way to pump takes my hand out of position for playing notes on the chanter. How should I position the bellows on my waist to solve this problem?

Second, pumping and playing at the same time is quite the trick. I am sure that it comes with practice, but is there a suggested exercise for developing this skill. I have a half set and I noticed this will be a real problem once I have learned enough to start using the drones.

Thanks for any help you can contribute,

Paul
AlanB
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

Try pumping without the chanter plugged in, and tip the bag-neck-hole (such eloquence) with your finger and let out a small stream of air and try to keep it constant. Gentle on the ears it is....

Alan
Felix

Post by Felix »

Here are the recommandations Dave Williams gave me when I received my full-set from him:

"In the initial stages, concentrate on playing the chanter only, and do not use the drones or regulators until you are quite comfortable with the chanter and can play a few tunes with confidence. The drones can then be introduced, preferably one at a time. Drones can be silenced by momentarily covering the exit hole to close the reed. In the early stages, a more permant stopping can be achieved using sticky tape."

I hope it will help.
MacEachain

Post by MacEachain »

Hi Paul,
1st off, if your arm is covering the bellows inlet maybe you need to wear the bellows higher up. This is the position I play in, it's comfortable for me but it mightn't be for you. You can't see the belt in the pic, it must be hidden by my jersey. I've only been learning since the start of the year so I can sympathise with you. It's hard to find a comfortable position as everything feel's un-natural, but it will come. Regarding the problem with operating the bellows and playing, I had that problem and I'll probably have it again when I move to a 1/2 set. The biggest breakthrough I had wasn't physical, I got to a point where I convinced myself that if I had a problem I'd get through it eventually and didn't get too worried about it. The other thing I done was to keep a diary, I wrote down how I was feeling, one day up the next down and tried to record whatever I was doing (about every 2 weeks). Sometimes progress isn't obvious but I could always go back and listen to what I sounded like. So relax, enjoy it, it'll come eventually, I'd say most folks here would say that it was hard at the start.

Best, Mac :)
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice but in practice there is.
brianc

Post by brianc »

A picture is indeed worth a thousand words!

Well done, Mac.

Stay tuned,
Brian
Islandpiper

bellows and bag

Post by Islandpiper »

UPers are, indeed, a skilled lot. They can finger and squeeze at the same time......but GHBer still have you beat....we finger, squeeze and blow with nary a thought!

:D
Antaine

Post by Antaine »

AlanB's suggestion is a great one and something I did myself. When I could hold a constant flow for five straight minutes I figured I was ready for the chanter.

As for the bellows, I wear it higher than any other piper I've seen, I situate the belt around my ribs along the natural line between the breast and the abdomen, with the small belt in the middle of my right bicep (I found that lower and the belt can slip around the upper part of your elbow which is uncomfortable).
Uilliam

Re: Bellows trouble

Post by Uilliam »

marquard wrote: Second, pumping and playing at the same time is quite the trick. I am sure that it comes with practice, but is there a suggested exercise for developing this skill. I have a half set and I noticed this will be a real problem once I have learned enough to start using the drones.

Thanks for any help you can contribute,

Paul
Try not to play with the bellows as opposed to the bag(don't worry everyone does at first)Heres a trick
Fully inflate the bag
Then smoothly bring the bellows out to the open (inflated) position then forget about it.
Play the A note continuosly(without wavering and keeping the bellows open)
Keep sounding the note and as the bag begins to deflate GENTLY deflate the bellows and GENTLY reflate them and leave them open.
Repeat.
You will soon correct any jerkiness with bellows and appreciate how long you can play for without the need of pumping the bellows plus you will get a steady airflow(listen for the note wavering) when it doesnae waver ye got it !!!

Islandpiper can you play the regulators or the 2nd register on your Heeland Pipes? :poke:
AlanB

Re: bellows and bag

Post by AlanB »

Islandpiper wrote:but GHBer still have you beat....we finger, squeeze and blow with nary a thought!

"Nary a thought", sounds about right :o

Alan
Roger O'Keeffe

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

I think Uilliam's advice is just about the best approach.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Keith

Keep going!

Post by Keith »

Hi,

Your problems are very reminiscent of when I started playing. I can't add anything to Mac's picture and Liam's advice, but recommend you keep going.

The first three months were the hardest for me, but I found that keeping my expectations low and not being put off by bad days helped. I accepted that playing was a long term goal, and just stuck at it.

As far as playing with drones goes, I've just started getting used to playing a little with them (after 3 1/2 years). I'd lay off them until you're able to play all the notes, the main ornamentations and some tunes very comfortably. Drones will increase the rate you have to pump and make coordination much harder.

Best of luck,
Cheers, Keith
Pipey

Post by Pipey »

Paul, I'm starting my ninth week and can tell you all the advice you're getting is great, I posted the same question on March 25 and received excellent advice, as well, from Big Mick, Rick, Davy and Antaine. Check that thread. I'm finally settling down and the bag/bellows balance is slowly going away as an issue. I'm up to ten tunes and last night I did the scale up and down through high B! Big breakthrough. Good Luck.
marquard

Post by marquard »

Many thanks to all of you. I will put all this information into practice. I know these things take time and trial, but I wanted to make sure to start off right. I played the GHP for over 2 years before getting a lesson from a professional. I have spent the last two years breaking bad habits.

Paul
Pat Cannady

Re: bellows and bag

Post by Pat Cannady »

Islandpiper wrote:UPers are, indeed, a skilled lot. They can finger and squeeze at the same time......but GHBer still have you beat....we finger, squeeze and blow with nary a thought!

I'd like to take exception to that - irish pipers pump, finger, regulate, and improvise simultaneously without fear of a pipe major kicking us in the shins! :wink:
vcolby

Post by vcolby »

My theory:

The Irish figured out that you can't drink Guinness whilst playing the Warpipes, so they invented one that keeps your mouth free for the cheer.

Is there any relation between putting a long hard cylindrical shaped item in your mouth whilst wearing a skirt with no underwear. Hmmmm?

Sorry for the lack of class -- my Scottish buddy calls my pipes the "Yukolele Pipes".