Pictures of Your Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Sounds like you might need to open the reed up a tiny bit using the bridle if the back D is that flat :( No biggy I have to do it every time I bring the pipes into a different climate.

Patrick.
Tak_the_whistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

oops! sorry....my posts are becoming sorta OT

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

OK..I'll try and see what happens. Thanks!!! :)
Rick

Post by Rick »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:Hi Tak.... a common misconception of pipers is that the back D should be played with only the thumb. This however is not the case. The back D is to be played using a combination of fingers and each chanter is different as far as that goes. Patrick.
I hope the fingering you decribed for back D is only when using vibrato..
How would you play a few staccato back Ds like that?
Not to mention a triplet.

I can see opening the C# hole along with the back D hole to get the back D right,
but then it's reed tweaking time imho like you said in your last post...

A crisp clear back D comes from under your thumb i always learnt.. =)
Preferably one that says "ping!"
You know.. :P
Higezura

Post by Higezura »

C.Roberts half set,

Yes, I am wheelchair piper.

My dream become a pipe maker. :oops:

Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Hi Higezura,

I like that popping strap! Very Davy Spillane :)

Also, you inadvertantly solved the question "can an uilleann piper march in a parade"... I'd never thought of this technique before :)

Patrick.
Last edited by Patrick D'Arcy on Mon May 05, 2003 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danny

Post by danny »

hey higezura, good for you ? your in a wheel chair and you play the pipes really you must b more talanted than the rest off us keep it up? how long are u playing? is it warm over there and do you have trouble with reeds.
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Hi Rick,

Yes, I was talking about playing the back D for a length of time when the pitch really matters when I spoke of alternate fingerings. Triplets etc., on back d would be done with only the thumb obviously enough, but if the D is going to be played for any length of time distinguishing it from an effect to a note then you would almost certainly play in an altered fingering.

Patrick.
Tak_the_whistler

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

:o

Nice halfset, higeZ !

By the way, Pat, I lowered the bridle by a hairwidth and the back D is stable now. C-nat, E, F...they're all good. Got to start learning more about reeds, I guess. :-?
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Nice one Tak, glad something so simple worked.. that's always a relief :)

Patrick.
ston

Post by ston »

I recieved my Patrick Murray starter set in the mail last week. It's exciting to finally be able to play an actual set of uilleann pipes after all this anticipation. Here's a picture, along with the bag cover I sewed for it:

I'll share some of my thoughts on the set. I'm new to the instrument, though, so for some of this stuff I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Overall it seems like a good instrument. I haven't been able to get the tuning spot on yet, but I figure that's my inexperience showing. I haven't touched the reed yet, except to move it in and out a bit. But I'm going to get some help from some Real Pipers(TM) today, so hopefully we'll be able to clear up any tuning issues.

The main body of the chanter is cast in plasic resin. Yay for innovation and modern building techniques! The casting of the instrument, I believe, is the the thing that really brings the price down as compared to a wooden one.

Patrick has stopped using leather on his bellows. I was under the impression that vinyl wouldn't last as well as leather, but so far it's holding up find. I guess I'll have to trust Patrick on that decision. Overall the bellows seem quite well made. I may end up installing a pad on the elbow side. Oh, and it might be nice if the air intake had some holes through the side of the wall to make it harder to inadvertently cover it up with my arm. I'm sure It'll become second nature to avoid that problem, though.

The vinyl bag was quite slippery, and a cover was really necessary. I was planning on making one anyway, to make the instrument really mine, so it doesn't make much difference to me. I think the fabric I chose turned out really nice. Its colors really go with the rest of the rest instrument. I wasn't actually planning for it to be so coordinated, but it just turned out that way. Perhaps I unconsciously thought about color coordination when I was choosing the fabric?

The white plastic accents on the chanter look good from a distance but up close the casting seems to have been less careful than the rest of the chanter. One of the pieces has a number of blemishes that look perhaps like problems with the mold.

I hope it doesn't seem like I'm bashing Patrick's work, though. Overall I love the instrument. It's a fabulous deal, and I recommend it for anyone starting out. Hopefully I'll be able to work out the tuning difficulties with some experienced help, and then I'm sure the instrument will last me a long time.

In case anyone is curious, Patrick Murray's web site is www.thepiperscut.com

-David
(Feverishly playing around with my new Patrick Murray starter set)
Tony
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

David, is the entire chanter is molded?

Faux ivory is supposed to have a mottled milky look. Is this what you are talking about?
ston

Post by ston »

Tony wrote:David, is the entire chanter is molded?
Yes, the whole chanter is molded (apart from the bits made of brass, of course). The white parts aren't made of faux ivory. They are cast seperately from the main body out of white plastic. I saw another one of Patrick Murray's chanters today and it had the same blemishes on the same piece of trim, so I'm assuming it's just a little problem with that mold. All the other pieces actually look fine, on further inspection. The color is definitely white, not the off-white I assume you'd see on faux ivory.

And as a follow-up, Patrick D'Arcy was kind enough to mess around with my reed and got it playing nicely. Actually, I ended up with the reed from the other Murray chanter, which had some different issues. I guess the climate change between Boston and LA made for some weirdnesses in the reeds.

-David
(Feverishly playing around with my new Patrick Murray starter set)
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

fergus.maunsell wrote:Photos of my uilleann pipes made by Andreas Rogge
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Here's some more pictures of the Koehler/Quinn B set I got from tok, from different angles than the one I posted on page 10. The second pic shows the violin peg (only larger) stop key at the top of chanter.
Last edited by Lorenzo on Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

My Brad Angus 5 regulator Bb set, when it was fresh off the lathe, not covered in munge from constant playing like now...broken down here, the extra regs removed. [img]http://C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Robert%20Bester\My%20Documents\My%20Pictures\Trucated%20Bb%20set[/img][/url]