[O.T.] Book Recommendations?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

Oh I can't believe I forgot this- one of my all time favorites-

Taps for Private Tussy by Jessee Stuart

It's been out of print for years but it might turn up at the used book store.

It is soooooooooo funny!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Paul

Re: [O.T.] Book Recommendations?

Post by Paul »

Walden, :o I apologise... I hastily read your post and missed the most important word *NOT* right in front of Science Fiction. :oops: My tastes actually do tend to run that way and, thinking that you were looking for a good SciFi read, I hastily posted that. It really is a great book though. :)
Last edited by Paul on Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Just take my advice and buy the picture book. They have it at walmart for only $7.
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Flowers for Algernon.

*technically* it's considered sci-fi, but there are no aliens, no magic, nothing too weird. The only really "sci-fi" thing about it is that the operation the main charcter undergoes doesn't actually exist.

(if you're wondering, the premise of the book is that a mentally challenged man undergoes an operation to increase his intelligence. It tracks his psychological reactions through "progress reports" the character writes.)
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Tom Dowling
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

I keep meaning to re-read "The Riddle of the Sands" by Erskine Childers. It should be widely available in used paperback format in what was once a 'new edition' (Harper Torchbook?) with some important information about Childers. Of course, I'll have to get it back from the guy I loaned it to....
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Another book that is one of my all-time favorites (I re-read it every couple of years and fall in love with it all over again) is Steinbeck's "Travels with Charley." That man could paint a scene with words like no one else.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
thurlowe

Post by thurlowe »

I'd like to second the nomination for Robertson Davies. And also recommend Ian Pears. I'm in the middle of "An Instance of the Fingerpost," about a chain of events set in Oxford, England in 1633, told from 4 viewpoints: an Italian visitor interested in science; an unstable young Englishman with a vendetta; a cryptographer hired by Charles II; and... I don't know the last one! I'm not there yet. I'll be finishing the Ian Pears section of the public library after this, believe me.

Hope you find some great books, Walden.

C.
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

If you care for classics, you could give a try to : We by Evgueny Zamiatin.
http://www.isbn.nu/author/Zamiatin,%20E ... Ivanovich/

This sci-fi novel, written in 1922 by a Soviet maverick, probably inspired both G. Orwell and A. Huxley for their subsequent best-sellers. Not that he didn't borrow himself a bit from H.G. Wells... ;)

Also, whatever one thinks of the movies made of it (esp. Soderbergh's...), Solaris by Stanislas Lem (1961) shouldn't be overlooked.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I went into the bookstore, last week, and faced with aisle after aisle after aisle of books, I just didn't know what to get. I'll take these suggestions with me, when I go back, and see what of these I come across. All but Flowers for Algernon are things I've never read, and I only read it once, a very long time ago, and it's probably worth a re-read.

Feel free to continue posting suggestions. I haven't gone to the bookstore yet.
Reasonable person
Walden
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

I found 'Diary of a Nobody' by G. & W. Grossmith highly amusing.It's the story of a middle class Victorian,Mr. Pooter, (even the names are funny,the son is called 'Lupin'-'Lupin Pooter' for Christsake! :o ) with pretentions of grandeur,who moves his family into a large house,trying to prove to all that he 'has made it'.
It's years since I read it,but I can always remember the scene where he paints the outside steps with red lead paint,then not wanting to 'waste' the paint that is left over, paints the bath INSIDE and out.Then later decides to take a bath with hilarious results.
The book is'nt explosively funny,more a 'slow burn',but is so well written that you could go back to it again and again and still chuckle.
I MUST have a re-read! :lol:
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I thought Flower for Algernon immenesely sad!
I just read Ray Monk's two volume biography
of Bertrand Russell. Don't read that. Something
like 800 pages of despair, culminating in
Russell's granddaughter, who he raised,
going to a cemetary,
dousing herself with gasoline and setting
herself alight. Russell and his second wife,
Dora, raised their children by new scientific
principles, and arranged their marriage
so as to allow for relations, and children,
with others. Don't do it!
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Flowers for Algernon isn't sad.

*spoiler space for the folks who haven't read it but want to*

Charlie is much happier in the end than when he was a super-genius, and also in many ways, much wiser. It has a sort of bittersweet ending, but it's not just "sad."
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
pthouron

Post by pthouron »

-George McDonald Fraser: any installment in the "Flashman" series (although starting with the first one makes sense), and his great "Quartered Safe Out Here". Greatly entertaining stuff AND informative as well.

-If you like mysteries, the latest Dennis Lehaine book is the best I've read this year so far ("Shutter Island")

-I also loved "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay", by Michael Chabon, a few years back
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Redwolf wrote:Another book that is one of my all-time favorites (I re-read it every couple of years and fall in love with it all over again) is Steinbeck's "Travels with Charley." That man could paint a scene with words like no one else.
I can't believe I didn't think of that one!!! It's one of my all-time favorite books. My wife, having heard me talk about it, bought it for me a couple of years ago. She had to suffer through my giggles and endless reading of paragraphs to her. Things like he's driving up the Coast of Maine and remarks on the number of antiques shops. He says something to the effect of, "I seem to remember that the population of the colonies numbered about three million souls, all of whom apparently were making furniture, dolls and all manner of things to be sold in Maine two hundred years hence."
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

:o OH WALDEN!!

If you truly have not read Angela's Ashes-- you have to!(preferrably listen to him read it).

Anyone with any intrest in things Irish, or, for that matter , anyone, would enjoy this. And it's so funny, granted it is very dark humor sometimes, but still funny, plus, sad, plus amazing.

It's an autobiography of McCourt's growing up in Limerick in abject poverty. It opens with---

"When I look back on my childhood I wonder how I managed
to survive at all. It was, of course, a miserable childhood:
the happy childhood is hardly worth your while. Worse than
the ordinary miserable childhood is the miserable Irish childhood,
and worse yet is the miserable Irish Catholic childhood."
from Angela's Ashes, a memoir by Frank McCourt

A movie by the same title was also made a few years ago.

here's some links
www.frankmccourt.org.uk
www.angelasashes.com
www.iol.ie/~avondoyl/angelas1.htm

He won a Pulitzer prize for this work.

He also wrote a follow up book called " 'Tis ".

(edited to add some info)

you realize I'm now going to have to listen to this book yet again!

Amazon has a bunch of used copies really CHEAP!
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West