Achy Breaky Fingers

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tyghress
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Tyghress »

The diagnosis was osteoarthritis, and the rheumatologist took somewhat perverse pleasure in telling me this on my birthday, adding 'these things happen as we get to be 44'. Gee. Thanks.
I'm actually taking it as good news, as my GP mentioned a few possibilities of things I did NOT want to hear. We're going with acetominiphen or ibuprofen for pain, as long as it doesn't get worse, and he says he sees no reason why I shouldn't be doing all my normal things for years to come. Including whistling.
Just to share the info I got, osteoarthritis is commoner in women than men, a 'disease of age', and is more likely to affect the top two joints of the fingers, causing swelling, stiffness and pain. There is no medically accepted 'cure', but they treat the symptoms.
The doctor talked at length about glucosamine, stressing that there was only one trial published on human subjects and that it was just barely acceptable, but added that there have been good studies on dogs that show that the chemical survives digestion and does show up in the cartilage. He was noncommital about its use (there have been no long term studies, and OA is a chronic process), but did say that it couldn't hurt.
I idly wonder if swollen knobby fingers will help me close holes on the lower whistles. Thanks for all who have asked how I was doing...
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

My brother in law is a physician,
and he has proved right over the years
about everything I've asked him. He
said there are studies which do show
glucosamine helps--I don't remember
the citation. Sorry to hear the
disagreeable diagnosis--the good
news is that you can keep whistling.
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

Tyghress,
If you ignore Chondroitin Sulfate and Glucosamine on your doctors advice you will deny yourself the most successfull treatment available for oesteoarthritis.And for the benefit of other arthritis sufferers out there reading this,the product I use is called Condrosulf and it works.Please trust me on this.All the best,Mike
Reyburnwhistles

Post by Reyburnwhistles »

Tyghress, I had osteoarthritis so bad that I could hardly sit in a chair. My hips were very sore as were my hands. I would wake up in the morning and it felt like my hands were swollen up but they appeared normal. I started on the Glucosamine/Condroitin plus Manganese supplements and now these pains are a thing of the past. I took the supplements religiously (3 times a day at first)and now I only take them occasionally and I feel great. Most doctors don't want to accept an alternative therapy for most problems, but that certainly doesn't mean they don't work.
Go for it and be well
Ronaldo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Reyburnwhistles on 2001-11-23 12:37 ]</font>
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I work closely with a large group of internal medicine doctors and they are comfortable about suggesting chondr/glucos to their patients. Whenever I speak with a patient who uses it, I always ask about their experiences with it. They are largely favorable. Do not expect any results for several weeks when you start taking it.

Fortunately, most hand movement in whistle playing happens at the knuckles closest to the hand, so, if those joints are not involved, you should be fine. The kind of bony changes you see with this form of djd is bony lumps on the back of the joints nearest the fingernails. Even wrist joint pain shouldn't mess you up too much if you keep your wrists in a good position when you play (very slightly backwards bent) and try to relax your hands. Good luck.

(My middle knucles are usually painful and get very stiff sometimes and one of them has been looking gnarly for awhile, but it has no effect on my playing. I just use it as an excuse for my performance :smile: )
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
AnnaDMartinez
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

I've got it, too, Tyg, but being the Energizer Bunny I am, I just keep moving, I can't knit anymore, and can't do tiny crochet or Native,American beadwork, but I will play the whistle until my fingers won't bend, then I'll get a low D! LOL!
Jim W

Post by Jim W »

For cutting down on stiffness temporarily, heat can be quite helpful. Paraffin baths (which melt a combination of paraffin wax and mineral oil) are reasonably inexpensive, and if there is nothing to contraindicate the use of same, are great for limbering up first thing in the morning.
Praise Him with the tambourine and dancing;
praise Him with stringed instruments and flutes!
Bobj

Post by Bobj »

Is chondroitin sulphate prescription only or a vitamin?
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

glucosamine chondroitin is a 'nutricutical' and not regulated as a drug, but as a food. It is non-prescription.

I've started on it, and I'll let you all know how it goes in a month or so
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I was a vet tech for many years and when we started using glucosamine on dogs the difference was amazing. So by all means use it. I too have the same problem, but have will NOT stop playing my instruments. Even if I have to resort to banging my drum with my foot.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Tyggy,
glad it's "nothing worse." Hope things go well and I am glad that you are determined to keep whistling! You were certainly racing along last Wednesday at the Monster Bash. Sorry I couldn't make the B'Day party, but I'll see you at City Steam on Wednesday...

:smile: Bloomfield