Noob in need: reed help

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Hooleh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A whistler and a beginner Uilleann piper from Scandinavia. Maybe some day a piper during this life time.

Noob in need: reed help

Post by Hooleh »

So yea, another one of these threads... Any views and tips are genuinely appreciated.
I've had my pipes a little over a week now, and I'm very pleased with the set and super happy to finally be able to start learning the instrument. I believe I'm starting to get the hang of the bellows/pressure control to the point that I would be soon ready to try out some tunes.
However, the reeds came to be a pain in the butt, as predicted, probably due to the climate change from the maker to the very dry air here.

So the problem is that I can't seem to get the reeds functioning properly. I received four reeds, at least one of which was functioning quite as intended when I acquired the set from the maker, and three spares with one aimed for messing around with. Now I have two reeds that I can't get any sound out of, one which takes an insane amount of pressure before any kind of sound, and another which would otherwise seem quite ok, except that I'm absolutely unable to get the three lowest notes out of the chanter with it, as they jump to the second octave way too easily (the bottom D actually to the THIRD octave, which is, more accurately, just out-of-tune squealing). For some reason the notes from first octave G to the second octave F# or so are relatively fine.

The remedies that I have tried:
- I've tried adjusting the reeds according to the instructions that I've got so far, that is, squeezing the sides of the bridle on the chanter to increase the gap on the reed, and also pressing the front and back of the bridle to achieve the opposite effect. I've tried adjusting the bridle upwards and downwards to find the optimal spot.
- I've purchased an air humidifier to the room where I play and keep the pipes when unplayed (this I would've done anyway) in order to keep the humidity stable.

I can't seem to get the "lips" on the reed to open up at all with one reed, or to remain in a more open position by pressing the sides of the bridle.

I'd like to believe that the flaw is in my adjustments and the reeds not being used to my settings, more than in the reeds themselves.
How do you think I should approach the situation? Any suggestions as to reed adjustment and/or maintenance? What am I doing wrong? Or is there only so much that I can do about this?
It sucks that I can't start actually learning to play, as the urge is real.
MarcusR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Re: Noob in need: reed help

Post by MarcusR »

Hi Hooleh!
I haven't followed the posts so I don't know who the maker of your set is but I'm sure the reeds were working just fine when and where they were made.
Climate in Scandinavistan is a drag for reeds, especially during the cold and dry winters with central or electrical heating inside.
Do you have a hygrometer, they are cheap and well worth it. The first thing I would try before you attempt to tinker with the reeds is to get the humidity right.
If you have a pipe case you can put a moist cloth in a zip-lock bag with a few holes in it, or just keep an apple in case and eat or change it every week.
If the reeds are not damaged it should do the trick in a day or so.

I would suggest not to tamper with the reeds when you are a beginner, it is very difficult to know what is due to the reed and what is actually due to the limited experience and lack of technique when you are starting out. Find a local piper who can try your set and reeds. Then you might find out that they still are playable ;-)

It’s a long uphill, but well worth it. :thumbsup:

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
myles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by myles »

another which would otherwise seem quite ok, except that I'm absolutely unable to get the three lowest notes out of the chanter with it, as they jump to the second octave way too easily (the bottom D actually to the THIRD octave, which is, more accurately, just out-of-tune squealing). For some reason the notes from first octave G to the second octave F# or so are relatively fine
First, don't mess with this one - this is the good one I assume. Bear in mind that after only a week you may still not be covering all the fingerholes well so you will be more prone to squeaks and unwanted jumps as you will unknowingly be 'venting' certain notes.

My own reeds tend to suffer on very cold dry days so I'd just echo the advice about getting a hygrometer. The moist cloth (in a perforated bag or box) will probably help.
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

As others have mentioned, don't be too hasty on adjusting the reeds. It can take weeks for reeds to settle in a new environment. If you are indeed covering the holes completely, it does sound like the reed might be too closed. You said you tried opening the reed a bit by adjusting the bridle (moving it up by less than a mm at a time), and that should have opened the reed more. Something else to keep in mind, and this is something I struggled with for at least a 1.5 years, is the lower octave often takes less pressure than you expect. Applying too much pressure will cause the lower octave to jump like you experienced. Beyond this input, it's hard to say what problems you might be encountering without seeing/hearing the reed.
Life is good.
Hooleh
Tell us something.: A whistler and a beginner Uilleann piper from Scandinavia. Maybe some day a piper during this life time.

Post by Hooleh »

Thanks for the tips. Next time I pick up the pipes, I'll be extra careful with covering all the holes.
As I said, I have a room air humidifier. It actually has a digital hygrometer (I presume a reliable one) integrated, and I have kept the room humidity steady and close to that in which the reeds, according to my knowlege, were made. When I get a case for my set, I'll put a DIY-humidifier inside as well.

Yes, I'm positive that the reeds are of good quality and worked fine in their native environment, so it must be the climate change and my own adjustments that cause the trouble. One thing that's for sure is that the biggest mistake I've made is that I have tampered with all the reeds way more than I should have. So advice regarding not to do it is a bit late. :oops:
Hopefully I'll get the reeds, or at least one of them, functioning without having to buy new ones instantly. Although, if that will be the case, then the lesson has been well and learned.

As to the reed that I can't get the three bottom notes out of the chanter with, I've tried and tried lower pressure for the bottom notes, but any less pressure causes no sound at all, and when there's just enough pressure to produce any kind of sound, it goes straight away to the upper register.

An additional question: the bridle wire seems to be much looser on a couple of reeds than the two others. Is it always reed-specific how tight/loose the bridle must be, or should I actually try and tighten the bridle if it's loose (although that would contradict rather badly the advice not to touch the reeds too much)? To my noob eye it would seem like if it's too loose, it won't have the 'wrenching power' (in lack of a better word) to hold the reed open/close.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Have you tried manually (digitally...with your digits!) squeezing open the reed lips? You grasp the reed with your strong hand so your thumbnail is in line with the broad side of the reed. The reed cannot twist if you hold it this way. Grasp the base of the reed/top of the winding. With the other hand squeeze the sides of the reed so that -when you look down at the lips- you can see the 'eye" opening up. Squeeze and hold the reed this way until tears of pain run down your face.

I've never had a reed crack from this procedure, in fact, I sometimes I use a padded vice for the squeezing and leave the reed cranked open like this for a couple of hours.

It is said the effects of this don't necessarily materialize right away. But I have found it buys me some playing time. I've had the same reed ("Old Iron Lips") for 9 years now...
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
Hooleh

Post by Hooleh »

A beginner that I am, I don't yet have a touch in how gentle or rough I can and must be with the reed in order not to break it. Accoring to you, tommykleen, it seems that the reed's not so fragile as I probably have been fearing that it is.
Tom_S

Post by Tom_S »

tommykleen wrote:I've never had a reed crack from this procedure, in fact, I sometimes I use a padded vice for the squeezing and leave the reed cranked open like this for a couple of hours.
I've had a reed crack like this once. It was a reed where the bridle was an "open" style (rather than fully wrapping around the reed) and the two ends of the bridle must've pincered in on the reed and cracked it. I've learned to adjust such bridles only by sliding them up and down the reed in order to open or close the lips.
bcullen

Post by bcullen »

I don't think the bridle was on when the squeezing was going on or the pressure was above the bridle (bit painful) . Have you seen the pic of Finbar giving the saddle a tap with a hammer through the reed head to narrow the eye?
Here is another. Take the bridle off tie the head tight enough to open lip, coat with shelac and set alight, blow out straight away
put a piece of paper between the lips and use as per sand paper to clean lips. I am referring to the lips on the reed

Sand tip (240)for 2nd octave
trim tip half a mm for lower notes, normally you should get 3 goes at this and sanding before it caputs
If you have a V scrape try a U scrape

Experiment , you have 4 reeds live dangerously. Just be sure its not too dry,wet,cold,hot,humid,windy,....... Also reeds are scared of the dark. :thumbsup:
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

Might look into getting a new reed.
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.