Any Scots here??

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

LimuHead wrote:My grandfather told me that I was part Scotch-Irish. I don't know if that means a Scotsman living in Ireland, or an Irishman living in Scotland. (Any clarification would be appreciated....)
Most Scots(Scotch)-Irish that came to North America are Scots who made a go of it in Ireland (mostly the Northern counties) but found the British governent was giving them a raw deal and headed off to the colonies.

A similar thing happened with Irish going to Scotland but not as many as Scots going to Ireland. This is how you have Celtic and Hibernian football clubs in Glasgow and Edinburgh (respectively).

Cheers,
Aaron
fatveg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by fatveg »

AaronMalcomb wrote:Most Scots(Scotch)-Irish that came to ...
When I was at school every time I inadvertantly used the word 'Scotch' with a Scotsman I was beaten to a pulp and sat upon until I could recite 'Scotch is a drink, scotch is a drink...'
<i>"Music is more like water than a rinoceros. It doesn't chase madly down one path. It runs away in every direction" - E. Costello</i>
Jack

Post by Jack »

Bran wrote:
Cranberry wrote:I might be Scottish.

One thing is very clear,you sure arn't Shy :lol:
Is s/he juggling or infested with flies? :)
When I was at school every time I inadvertantly used the word 'Scotch' with a Scotsman I was beaten to a pulp and sat upon until I could recite 'Scotch is a drink, scotch is a drink...'
I've been told the same thing, by non Scottish people, though, so I try not to say Scotch to refer to people. It's sort of along the lines of the word 'oriental'. A girl I went to school with very kindly let me know that oriental refered to rugs, and Asian refered to people. I simply didn't know.
LimuHead
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

Okay, so that means I'm actually, "Scots-Irish" (no offense intended for my misuse of the **otch word), so my answer to the original question in this thread is: YES.

Thanks to fatveg & AaronMalcomb for the clarifications!

Aldon
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

The Wilsons are allegedly descended from Clan Gunn, and I'm glad to say that at least half of the tunes I know are Scottish. :)

http://www.caithness.org/

Tom
carrie

Post by carrie »

My mother's father was Scots-Irish, though born in Kentucky. Her mother was German, the daughter of a piano teacher. My father's parents were both Russian/Polish Jews.

*wonders why a set of The Long Highland, Für Elise, and Tumbalalaika keeps swirling in her imagination*

Carol
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Scots-Irish on my mother's side, Whinnery. It's a Borders name, if I understand correctly, probably of English beginnings (is that why I find no clan or sept info on the name?).

One wedding reception I played at (an American woman marriying into a family of Glaswegian lawyers: talk amongst yourselves :lol:), one of the visiting Scottish in-laws asked if I was Irish (we played as much Scots music as we could, but they were happy all in all), and I said I was part Scots-Irish. He replied, "Ah, Scotch-Irish." To which I replied, "Yes, Scots-Irish." To which he replied, "Yes, Scotch-Irish." Evidently the denizens of Glaschú are more contrary than I realised. :lol:
JayMitch

Post by JayMitch »

I think of myself as of Scottish ancestry, though in truth at least as many of my ancestors probably came from England. The Scottish connection is from my paternal grandmother (Burns), and it happens that that is the only branch of the family tree we can tract all the way back across the pond. My great, great ...(I lose track) grandfather, known as Grandsir Burns, came Ayrshire, Scotland, fought in the Revolutionary war (during which he wrote some really awful poetry), then settled first in Kentucky and later in Illinois.

This heritage led me want to to learn a bit about "Celtic" music (a term I rarely use anymore). But I ended up learning more about and becoming more interested in the music of Ireland than of Scotland. So I sort of adopted the traditional music of Ireland.

I hope the real Irish don't mind.

--Jay
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Nanohedron wrote:Scots-Irish on my mother's side, Whinnery. It's a Borders name, if I understand correctly, probably of English beginnings (is that why I find no clan or sept info on the name?).
Clans were a Highland thing as were things like pipes and kilts. It's quite likely William Wallace (aka braveheart a la Mel Gibson) never wore a kilt (he was born near Paisley and didn't live in the Highlands). In the 19th century some Lowland and Borders families adopted some Highland customs like kilts and tartans and it was only then that many clans actually had an official Clan tartan. So even if your family did have Scottish connections to the Borders they may not actually be part of a Clan.

Cheers,
Aaron
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

I'm Scotch-Irish too LimuHead. The term "Scotch-Irish" was given to the Scottish border clans that were "banished" to northern Ireland for unruly behavior(Jackobites).

The English wished to place a "wedge" between themselves and the angry Irish, and in this way they set 2 of their adversaries to fight each other while they sat back and watched. My ancestor John Hastie left northern Ireland to fight with the American colonists as a Teamster in the French and Indian War around 1756. He was later granted 100 acres of land in St Steven New, Brunzwick

My clans are Clan Hay(Earl of Tweedale) and Clan Graham(Mentieth) and are affiliated through marriage to clans in the Lanark area as well. I can also proudly claim that My family, The Hastie's, were the Hereditary Pipers of Jedburgh for 300 years, begining with the original Piper, John Hastie, suvivor of the Battle at Flooden Field in 1513.

Glad to see so many Scotsman proud of thier heritage!
Thomas Hastay.
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
John Allison

Post by John Allison »

AaronMalcomb wrote:Most Scots(Scotch)-Irish that came to North America are Scots who made a go of it in Ireland (mostly the Northern counties) but found the British governent was giving them a raw deal and headed off to the colonies.
  • The Allison sept came from Clan MacDonald and were sent to Ireland to drive the buggers out. They quickly moved on to the colonies as well.
  • Another line comes from the Maitlands in Castle Thirlstane (still standing).
  • Another line from around Edinburgh, from Clan Austin.
Someday I hope to move back there...the pipes, the pipes are calling!
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Hi,
I am Scots/Irish on my mothers side, my great grandfather came over from his last name was cochran. I read that they were from the lowlands.
My fathers family is French Canadian-Ay! Jon
jigginatune

Post by jigginatune »

Hi,
I'm 1/4 Scottish and 1/4 Irish. My Scottish comes from my grandpa who was from Inverness. You know where the Loch Ness monster lives. :o I grew up doing Scottish Highland dancing even know I live in the USA because my grandpa wanted me to. I actually liked faster music that was more jig like than the bagpipes (though they do hold a special place in my heart) and when I went to one of the Highland games around here I was introduced to "Cape Breton stepdancing". I knew right then I was hooked!!! I have no clue how to play a fiddle so the best I can do is to learn the tin whistle I picked up in Ireland on my honeymoon and try to sound like Jethro Tull. haha As far as the dancing is concerned I am in the process of trying to learn it from a video since the ONLY teacher that taught around here isn't here anymore. I can't wait to see if I can find some "scottish jig" tunes for the tin whistle since the Cape Breton style is supposed to be of Scottish origin and it feels weird to dance Scottish steps (hee /toe v.s. toe/heel) to Irish tunes.
If it has a beat, MOVE YOUR FEET!!!
CHIFF FIPPLE

Post by CHIFF FIPPLE »

ImageStacey has the most bodacious fipples! & Message board
http://whistlenstrings.invisionzone.com ... t=0&p=3303&
Steven

Post by Steven »

LimuHead wrote:My grandfather told me that I was part Scotch-Irish. I don't know if that means a Scotsman living in Ireland, or an Irishman living in Scotland. (Any clarification would be appreciated....)
A lot of Scottish families moved to Ireland, and then a generation or two later came over to the US. I think that's what lots of people mean when they say "Scotch-Irish." Of course, it should be "Scots-Irish" -- scotch is a drink, not an adjective.

:-)
Steven