Steve Harper Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Duisg
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've just started playing whistle, Irish Traditional 9 months in and quickly developing.I'm into all thing folk, roots and culture. Been perusing chief and ripple for over a year and just decided to join the forum for more interaction, inspiration and guidance.

Steve Harper Whistles

Post by Duisg »

Hello folks,

I'm new here and first time posting! Ive accumulated quite a collection of whistles since I took up playing about a year ago.
I've had a Steve Harper handmade aluminium whistle in D knocking aorund unplayed as I usually play with others, and as far as I can tell, it is not tuneable. I bought it second hand from Hobgoblin in England and retailed at £90 when new (I did not pay that for it). I know Steve doesn't make them anymore so not sure how obscure they are/collectors additions. No idea...
Has anyone else got any feedback on it? Do you enjoy playing yours? I'm unsure I'm giving it the love it deserves, so trying to decide whether to sell up or donate to someone who will use it.

I much prefer the handmade instrument and I play a Goldie, which I find very mellow and not as responsive when cold but steady and lovely on slow airs as my brass Burke and brass Killarney, which I find have sweeter tones...
Maybe I'm bit overloaded! What to do?!
Mr.Gumby

Re: Steve Harper Whistles

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The Harper I had was the singular most awful whistle I ever owned. It was unpleasant to play for the push the octave needed and, in combination with the completely out of balance volume of the second octave, gave me a headache. It looked beautifully made but it was a true crime against musicianship.

I managed, eventually, to sell it here for €55, which is what I paid for it, to someone who played with a Morris side (as far as I remember), perhaps the volume was bearable in that setting(ie guys with bells and sticks and a bunch of melodeons playing outdoors).
My brain hurts

Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

My experience with Harper whistles was somewhat less uncomfortable than Mr. Gumby's. I had an A/G set (therefore tunable) for several years. I did eventually sell it on, but not because of any issues with the sound or intonation. My breathing and all-metal whistles don't seem to get along, resulting in clogging. Even with soaping and dental flossing and other home remedies, they still clogged, especially in winter when the house was colder. But I did find them to be well made and good-sounding—although it should be noted that the A/G was lower in pitch than Mr. Gumby's D which might account from some of the more acceptable sound.

But that's just my experience. A search of the archives might offer some other views.
Duisg wrote:Maybe I'm bit overloaded! What to do?!
Now that's another, rather common, malady related to whistles. Early on we tend to try to find the whistle that sounds perfect, blows easily, makes us just like Micho Russell or Mary Bergin or other favorite player, neglecting the fact that it's the player that makes the whistle in most cases, not the other way around. Some will settle on one or two whistles, others prefer a wide variety. And sometimes uncontrollable Whistle Acquisition Disorder takes place....

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

A friend of mine has a Harper whistle. When I try and play it, it exhibits all the characteristics that Mr G describes. However, my friend can play it beautifully.* I think it must just be a very peculiar beast to master.

* To be honest, it's still pretty loud even when he plays it, but much better than when I play it.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

My experience with Harper whistles was somewhat less uncomfortable than Mr. Gumby's.
In all fairness, earlier discussions of this pointed towards mine being an early example and there was agreement they did play like that. Later ones apparently improved a bit but I won't go near them after my experience. I also must add I am perhaps so vehement about it as the whistle came highly recommended by posters here and I heard a recording or two that raised expectations. When the whistle arrived, it was very disappointing.
My brain hurts

ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Occasionally the Harper whistles are offered on eBay and other sales websites. Here is the last one I saw come up for auction and if the bidding is any indication of popularity, then two bids may speak loud and clear.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Harper- ... 2075993949
Duisg
Tell us something.: I've just started playing whistle, Irish Traditional 9 months in and quickly developing.I'm into all thing folk, roots and culture. Been perusing chief and ripple for over a year and just decided to join the forum for more interaction, inspiration and guidance.

Post by Duisg »

Lots of mixed reviews ...well, mostly non plussed to not going anywhere near it!
I can get on with it...but its not my favourite, never gets played and compared with the Goldie (double the price) I have to say its not in the same league. I find it actually sounds too tinny and cold, resulting in a ringing in my ears. All aluminium whistle I've played seem to hurt my teeth and gums (is that normal?!)
I have bought , tried and sold various whistles in my short playing time and come back to the same one - The Burke. Definitely not sounding like Micho Russell there ... But my ear is straining and training to different materials and whistles. I guess I'm trying to understand the instrument and different whistles for different tunes. Perhaps i should focus more on my playing... :love:
I have an Abell on order aswell, as my teacher plays hers exclusively and Im accoustmed to playing alongside, in real life and recordings her style on the Abell. I love the blackwood!
Maybe i'll be able with the Abell :waah:

...I have WAS bad :/
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

Clearly opinions vary widely. Tony Hinnigan welcomes the high backpressure and loves his: http://tonyhinnigan.com/moviedl.php?group=29# Hinnigan on High Ds pt1 starting at 16:34.
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

When ordering mine, I wrote to Steve very precisely what I expect from the whistle.
What I got was exactly what I wanted, which means - the best whistle I can imagine!
It is loud - as I wanted it to be (but not as loud as a Chieftain high D).
It has high backpressure - as I like it, giving the possibility to play the low octave forte and the high octave piano - the only other whistles that do the same are my old Overton low whistles.
I play it much more often than my Burke and Goldie whistles (both of which are very fine instruments, of course).
However, being the best whistle for me doesn't mean it will also be the best whistle for someone else...
The Lurking Fear

Post by The Lurking Fear »

Duisg wrote:All aluminium whistle I've played seem to hurt my teeth and gums (is that normal?!)
No.Not at all.

Unless you have an allergy to aluminum the only reason for teeth/gums hurting would be if one is holding the mouthpiece by one's teeth,which can lead to unconscious chomping.
Duisg

Post by Duisg »

Maybe its the fillings ??
sfmans
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Post by sfmans »

I'm obviously in the minority but I'm really happy with my Harper whistle! Yes it's loud, But the tuning is fine and personally I like the back pressure.

Maybe I got a good one :)
The Lurking Fear

Post by The Lurking Fear »

Duisg wrote:Maybe its the fillings ??
Half my mouth is silver-so i don't think so.

Even if not unconsciously biting the whistle itself,could you be clenching your jaws w/out realizing it?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I like the back pressure.

Maybe I got a good one :)
You probably did and I was most likely very unlucky. But several posts here say they 'like the back pressure', as if suggesting someone didn't. I like to be clear about what I said, back pressure wasn't the problem with in the whistle I got. The balance between the octaves, especially when going for G and higher, was extremely poor, both with regards to breath requirements and volume.
My brain hurts