The Killarney D has arrived.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Postie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I began learning to play a whistle a month ago. When I Google the topic it quite often sends me here. Joining the group just seemed to make sense.

The Killarney D has arrived.

Post by Postie »

As the title suggests, my shiny new Killarney Brass whistle has arrived. Ordered it on the May 10/2016. Received news it had been shipped the next day. Less than two weeks from the Emerald Isle to the middle of Canada is fairly impressive since it came normal Air Post. It appears to have taken a trip through customs unnoticed, which is a good thing. More money in my pocket.
First impressions are all positive. Sounds and plays like a dream. Even when I'm the one using it. There is a bit of weight to it compared to what I have in the stable already. At first I thought it might feel unbalanced. This is not the case though. It is very comfortable to hold and play. Practice time is about to become a good deal more productive and fun.
The Whistle came with instructions on keeping it clean and lubricated. I've never heard of "Copper Grease" before. I may get a raised eyebrow or two when I ask if they have any at the hardware stores. If they ask what it is for and I say a penny whistle....well, this will be interesting. I might get directed to a music store.

I'm so excited!! :D I'm off to practice. Rattlin' Bog here I come! RAWR!
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Re: The Killarney D has arrived.

Post by tin tin »

It is indeed a lovely whistle. I play mine (also the all brass model) every week at the local session, and it's delightful. Mine benefited from soaping the windway--it was a little clog-prone before. Enjoy!
ericgrey

Post by ericgrey »

A little info on copper grease :-

HEALTH WARNINGS
This chemical can be hazardous when inhaled and/or touched. This chemical may cause skin/eye irritation and
burns (corrosive). May cause severe internal injury. Vapour from this chemical can be hazardous when inhaled.
ROUTE OF ENTRY
Inhalation. Ingestion. Skin and/or eye contact. Skin absorption.
Postie
Tell us something.: I began learning to play a whistle a month ago. When I Google the topic it quite often sends me here. Joining the group just seemed to make sense.

Post by Postie »

ericgrey wrote:A little info on copper grease :-

HEALTH WARNINGS
This chemical can be hazardous when inhaled and/or touched. This chemical may cause skin/eye irritation and
burns (corrosive). May cause severe internal injury. Vapour from this chemical can be hazardous when inhaled.
ROUTE OF ENTRY
:o Good Lord! Okay....what would be a safer alternative? Any suggestions? Beeswax maybe? Could sure use some sage advice here.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Postie wrote:
ericgrey wrote:A little info on copper grease :-

HEALTH WARNINGS
ROUTE OF ENTRY
:o Good Lord! Okay....what would be a safer alternative? Any suggestions? Beeswax maybe? Could sure use some sage advice here.
Yeah. Cork grease. The sort for any woodwind instrument. Very cheap. Very effective. Don't put much on, and don't put any on at all unless and until you need it. My Killarneys don't need any grease, so I haven't put any on.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Vaseline seems to do the job. Recommended by several flute makers over time. [And I'll add to that, that sometimes a mix of beeswax and vaseline has been recommended)

two weeks from the Emerald Isle to the middle of Canada is fairly impressive since it came normal Air Post
Doesn't seem very quick, two weeks is at the slow end of average if experience with posting from Ireland is anything to go by.
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Wed May 25, 2016 2:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
My brain hurts

Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Ditto on the cork grease. Petroleum jelly should also be fine.
ericgrey

Post by ericgrey »

As the guys say,cork grease, Vaseline or my favorite is good old Lipsyl (lip balm)
"other brands are also available" :D :D
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

I haven't used anything yet either, and purchases from quite awhile ago.

If the whistle needed something, you would think Killarney Whistles would have provided a spot of it to begin with! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJqfoCTXC-g