ISO of 24" (ish) cleaning rod

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
CJNovack
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

ISO of 24" (ish) cleaning rod

Post by CJNovack »

Good evening all,
I have a single piece flute (Ralph Sweet's Walking Stick flute) and needless to say my cleaning rods are a wee bit too short. Can anyone assist me with locating a cleaning rod for a non-jointed flute? I realize I can manufacture one, but.....

Any assistance/leads appreciated.

Sincerely

Chris
Steve Bliven

Re: ISO of 24" (ish) cleaning rod

Post by Steve Bliven »

Would something like this work for you? Or are you looking for a simple dowel with a slot (which might be most easily made at home?

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

What about a rifle cleaning rod? They have a slot you put a cloth in. They come in sections, so you can make it however long you want.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Get a string, a small swatch of silk, and a wooden or plastic bead* that's a little smaller than the blowhole (and considerably smaller than the bore, but still heavier than the string and silk; it needs to be heavy enough to drop through the bore.

Tie the silk to one end of the string and thread the bead onto the other.

To use, drop the bead through the blowhole and pull the string and swab out through the foot end.

If you're feeling creative you can make a second one so you can put some almond oil on the swatch and use it as an oiling rag.

*Wood or plastic beads are more bore-friendly than glass or metal beads
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
CJNovack

Post by CJNovack »

highland-piper wrote:What about a rifle cleaning rod? They have a slot you put a cloth in. They come in sections, so you can make it however long you want.
Considering I used to shoot muzzle-loaders 40 years ago, I am surprised I didn't think of this solution! While Cathy's idea seems more imaginative, the rod will allow me to clean the full bore.

Thank you all very much for the suggestions!

Sincerely

Chris
WeeDoggy
Tell us something.: Just interested to hear what others have to say about all aspects of whistles and the whistle lifestyle.

Post by WeeDoggy »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

Recently i found myself in a sporting goods store and noticed a barrel of arrows, sans arrowheads. They were made of carbon fiber about 1/4" in diameter and 30" long, with a threaded metal hole in the foreend where the arrowheads go. I bought one for $6 USD along with a large plastic slotted jag initially intended for cleaning shotgun bores. I had to grind a little off the threaded end of the jag to fit it tightly into the arrow but once done it was very nicely fit with no metal protruding to scratch the inside of a whistle. It all made for a very nice cleaning rod, particularly for Low whistles. I cut mine to about 28" in length to easily accomodate a Low D with plenty left (minus the fletchings of course, then capped the end with a piece of plastic tubing. If anyone wants to try this simple project, be sure to wipe the arrow down with a little lamp oil or rubbing alchohol, or some good 12-year old scotch works well also, as there was a light coating of something dark on it but it all came off easily with just one wipe-down never to be seen again. These arrows are actually aluminium with a sheath of carbon fiber around it, so they are very strong yet slightly flexible. In any case, i love my new cleaning rod and so do my whistles. :pint: