Finding Modern Popular Songs to Play

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
fipple123
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Finding Modern Popular Songs to Play

Post by fipple123 »

Hi,

I'd like to learn to play modern pop songs on the whistle. This is what I'm starting to do today:

1. Go to http://www.songkeyfinder.com/learn/songs-in-key
to find songs in D or G.

2. Go to musicnotes.com and look through different versions (piano, violin, etc.) to see if there's something suitable for the whistle.

Here Comes the Sun (for piano) in G major:

http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mt ... =MN0104486

Yellow Submarine (for violin) in G major:

http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mt ... =MN0109955

Is this the right approach, or are there other tips you can share?
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Finding Modern Popular Songs to Play

Post by Tunborough »

Musicnotes can transpose songs, up to 3 semitones as I understand it, so any key is fair game, transposable to either D or G.

Pick songs you like, particularly those you know well enough to sing.
Last edited by Tunborough on Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

And if you can sing them, try to sound them out on the whistle. May be difficult at first but gets easier if you work at it a bit. Start with simple kid songs (Twinkle, Twinkle or Frere Jacques) and work your way up to Yellow Submarine.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Steve Bliven wrote:And if you can sing them, try to sound them out on the whistle. May be difficult at first but gets easier if you work at it a bit. Start with simple kid songs (Twinkle, Twinkle or Frere Jacques) and work your way up to Yellow Submarine.

Best wishes.

Steve
Up to Yellow Submarine??? :really:
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

fipple123 wrote:Is this the right approach, or are there other tips you can share?
There are numerous websites to be found with Google and use key words like music, tin whistle, tabs, etc., and you will find what you're looking for. If you like movie themes try the name and include whistle, tin whistle, penny whistle, tutorial, etc., for that approach.

I found one here:
http://thewhistler726.weebly.com/pop-covers.html

Enjoy your whistling. :thumbsup:
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

benhall.1 wrote:Up to Yellow Submarine??? :really:
A chorus with four whole notes.... What more could one aspire to? Such elegant simplicity!

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
fipple123

Post by fipple123 »

ytliek wrote: I found one here:
http://thewhistler726.weebly.com/pop-covers.html

Enjoy your whistling. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the suggestion. The YouTube videos from this website have links to the sheet music, which is helpful. However, many songs are not in G or D, so would require half-holing. As a beginner, I find half-holing to be tricky. Of course, you could also play without half-holing, but it would sound off.

Are there any tricks to getting half-holing to work okay? Thanks.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

fipple123 wrote:As a beginner, I find half-holing to be tricky. Of course, you could also play without half-holing, but it would sound off.

Are there any tricks to getting half-holing to work okay? Thanks.
Tricks? yes, practice playing... a lot. Half-holing will come with some effort. I'm still working on my half-holing skill and it takes time.

There are plenty of other sites with pop tunes with the whistle in mind. Google around. If you can find ABCs for tunes, then you could work on transposing keys. Another skill in whistling and it takes time. No tricks.
fipple123

Post by fipple123 »

Yes... I need to practice a lot, since I'm new at this. I seem to like my new hobby and practicing, and it's giving me something to do in these colder months.

Speaking of keys, I did try to copy some of the ABC stuff into a converter and transpose a few tunes.

If I remember correctly, sometimes they transposed into D okay (with the F#, C#) and G okay (with the F#), but at other times, while it transposed into D or G as I wished, I wound up with one or more non-scale notes (e.g., Bb), so transposing didn't actually solve the issue.

I only tried this a bit, so didn't quite figure out the formula. Are there certain keys which transpose "cleanly" into D and G, and other keys I should stay away from (where transposing would result in non-scale notes)?

Also, I just got a low F whistle to avoid the shrill factor, and I'm using the D fingerings, so if I understand this correctly, D comes out sounding like F, and G comes out sounding like Bb, which is okay (I think, if I don't play with other people, or if a guitar player plays different chords or uses a capo--I think playing with others is "far" off into the future).

If I learn the "correct" fingering to not-transpose and play the notes as actually written (so I would play hole 6 for F, instead of pretending it's a D), then I could play in F major (with Bb), and Bb major (with Bb and Eb). Is this something that I should do? Assuming I only play an F whistle (...and don't get carried away with buying whistles in other keys and learning multiple sets of fingerings), it seems quite do-able (I already know the D fingerings, and could learn the F fingerings).

Sorry to add different subjects to the original thread title, but as a newbie, I've read so many older posts here, but still have some questions.

Thanks.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

fipple123 wrote:Are there certain keys which transpose "cleanly" into D and G, and other keys I should stay away from (where transposing would result in non-scale notes)?
No. All keys are symmetrical.

Some songs have melodies which stay within the bounds of a major scale and some have a few notes that stray beyond it, usually to haunting effect. These are known as 'accidentals'. In that melody they'll be accidentals no matter what key you transpose to. If you read the dots, these will be the notes that have a sharp (#), flat (b) or natural (♮) sign before the dot. These are tunes you'll need to pass on until you get better at half holing unless you find a tune where the accidental is one of the Cs.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Tunborough

Post by Tunborough »

fipple123 wrote:Sorry to add different subjects to the original thread title, but as a newbie, I've read so many older posts here, but still have some questions.
Hey, it's your thread ... you can take it wherever you want. And as far as thread drift goes, this is nothing.
fipple123 wrote:If I learn the "correct" fingering to not-transpose and play the notes as actually written (so I would play hole 6 for F, instead of pretending it's a D), then I could play in F major (with Bb), and Bb major (with Bb and Eb). Is this something that I should do? Assuming I only play an F whistle (...and don't get carried away with buying whistles in other keys and learning multiple sets of fingerings), it seems quite do-able (I already know the D fingerings, and could learn the F fingerings).
If I understand the question, this is what you're doing when you transpose a tune. You can read a tune scored in F major and play it at "concert pitch" on your F whistle, playing F as XXXXXX and Bb as XXXOOO, or you can transpose that tune to D major and play it with D-whistle fingering, playing the note that looks like D as XXXXXX and the note that looks like G as XXXOOO. You'll get exactly the same fingerings, and the tune will sound exactly the same.

The only difference is you'll have to learn how to read music scored in F major (and Bb major). You may find this a useful skill--if you find a tune scored in F or Bb you won't have the bother of transposing before you can play it--but it isn't a necessary skill. You'll find lots of advocates here for learning to play tunes by ear, and not reading music at all. (I'm not one of them, but I can appreciate the argument.)

It goes the other way, too. Once you can read tunes in F major, you can pick up a D whistle, finger it as if it was an F whistle, and the tune will come out in D major.
BrianG

Post by BrianG »

benhall.1 wrote:
Steve Bliven wrote:And if you can sing them, try to sound them out on the whistle. May be difficult at first but gets easier if you work at it a bit. Start with simple kid songs (Twinkle, Twinkle or Frere Jacques) and work your way up to Yellow Submarine.

Best wishes.

Steve
Up to Yellow Submarine??? :really:

LOL! A good laugh to start the morning!
bcullen

Post by bcullen »

WE have a flute player and whistle player in the band they do a really good job with the fiddler of Hey Jude
a sort of Dedannan rip of. The second part is the Jude hornpipe music and midi on session (web site) and we finish with
Rocky road to Dublin Its really nice to get a mix of pop and traditional