Killarney All Brass

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Re: Killarney All Brass

Post by Jayhawk »

I Google's for their email address and Tadhg wrote me back the next day. When paying by paypal just put in the special instructions brass body requested.
BrianG

Post by BrianG »

Thanks for the info!
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Jayhawk wrote:I thought I did tell him...brass feadog body. I think it plays the same as the one you have!
Does it matter which model Feadog body (MK1, MK2, etc.) or they all the same?

Thanks and best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Sorry...no idea. It was one I'd bought within the past 5 years if that helps.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Steve Bliven wrote:
Jayhawk wrote:I thought I did tell him...brass feadog body. I think it plays the same as the one you have!
Does it matter which model Feadog body (MK1, MK2, etc.) or they all the same?

Thanks and best wishes.

Steve

The MK1 has a different hole spacing and size than the most recent feadog (which matches the hole layout of the Killarney).
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Thanks. Seems like I have a MK1, based on the comments here and this former thread (although there's no remaining decal at the bottom). I tried it in the Killarney head and it was a bit too big—would require some sanding down to fit. But a new Feadog would be worth the experiment....

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
de Salier
Tell us something.: I do indeed love whistles, mostly the ones with six holes. And this forum is all about them, small ones, big ones, normal ones, strange ones...

Post by de Salier »

Steve Bliven wrote:Thanks. Seems like I have a MK1, based on the comments here and this former thread (although there's no remaining decal at the bottom). I tried it in the Killarney head and it was a bit too big—would require some sanding down to fit. But a new Feadog would be worth the experiment....

Best wishes.

Steve
I can fit my MK.1 (confirmed) body perfectly in the Killarney head without sanding it.

I'll post a picture on Sunday when I am back from Holiday
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Would wrapping clear tape around bell end of whistle help/hurt the sound? Stabilize/strengthen. I'm thinking if the Mark I had a sticker there maybe it was more than decoration. Some of the less expensive whistle tubes vibrate (for me), or is that a desired effect for sound?

I might have to try the brass tube on the Killarney whistle.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

ytliek wrote:Would wrapping clear tape around bell end of whistle help/hurt the sound? Stabilize/strengthen. I'm thinking if the Mark I had a sticker there maybe it was more than decoration.
Snake oil!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
de Salier
Tell us something.: I do indeed love whistles, mostly the ones with six holes. And this forum is all about them, small ones, big ones, normal ones, strange ones...

Post by de Salier »

What about a Generation Eb body?
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I have several Generation D bodies and I discovered that they were of differing diameters. Some were too big for the Killarney head, but one fit perfectly.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

ytliek wrote:Would wrapping clear tape around bell end of whistle help/hurt the sound? Stabilize/strengthen. I'm thinking if the Mark I had a sticker there maybe it was more than decoration. Some of the less expensive whistle tubes vibrate (for me), or is that a desired effect for sound?

That has absolutely zero bearing on the sound. Unlike wooden stringed instruments, where the top of the instrument vibrates as part of the sound production, in whistles and other wind instruments it is the column of air inside the tube that produces the sound. The material doesn't vibrate to produce sound in whistles.

The sticker was for decoration.
megapop

Post by megapop »

ytliek wrote:Would wrapping clear tape around bell end of whistle help/hurt the sound?
Well, you only need a whistle and some tape to find out. ;)
Sirchronique wrote:That has absolutely zero bearing on the sound. [...] The material doesn't vibrate to produce sound in whistles.
A great disenchantment for those in search of a "woody" sounding whistle, or those claiming that nickel plaited tubes make for a "brighter" tone! :lol: However, I would think that the air column does cause the tube to vibrate, which in turn might affect the wave form of that column. Just theoretical speculation though. I didn't notice any effect by taping the tube anyway.
Last edited by megapop on Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
return null;
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I remember a few people wrapping coloured tape around the top end of the tube because they had seen that some member of the Chieftains did that during the seventies.
My brain hurts

kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Must work on flutes.