Cotter vs Watson flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Normski
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Cotter vs Watson flutes

Post by Normski »

Could anyone help me in comparing tone/quality between Cotter and Watson keyless D flutes please. I am not in a position to compare them myself. - Thanks
jim stone

Re: Cotter vs Watson flutes

Post by jim stone »

Here's something, a Cotter Pratten 6 key. Apologies for the misspelling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGyJIf3xz0Y
radcliff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: in two words, Rudall & Rose. but since a minimum of 100 characters is required, I should list a number of makers I found extremely interesting… I don't even know how much are 100 characters...

Post by radcliff »

Last edited by radcliff on Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Francesco - Rome, Italy
TransverseWoodenFlutes.com
sligofluter

Post by sligofluter »

Watson of course.

Here you can hear my Watson flute just a few days after I recieved it, now it sounds even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L4aFqZsueU
Our irish music blog in Spanish: https://theirishflow.com/
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Watson makes Rudall style flutes (medium bore, large holes), Cotter makes Pratten style flutes (big bore, very large holes).
The Cotter will be louder, a bit easier to sound but requires more air, while the Watson (in my opinion) will have a more interesting sound, a little more difficult to sound and requires less air.
Personally I would choose the Watson (in blackwood rather than mopane) but it's a matter of style and sound preference.
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

First, why are you only interested in these two? We are fortunate these days to have a big range of fantastic flute makers out there. For information, I own flutes by Patrick Olwell, Michael Grinter, David Copley, and Martin Doyle. All of them are outstanding, and on all of them I sound like myself :)

I'm not qualified to comment on Cotter vs Watson flutes. That said, if you want a good sense of what they can sound like then I would recommend listening to a range of recordings of them being played (youtube, CDs, etc...), especially by professionals.

There are several videos of Eamonn playing his own flutes on youtube, and on his web-site Glenn has clips of Harry Bradley playing his flutes. Do keep in mind that Eamonn and Harry have very different styles, and that will account for a lot of the tone.

- Chris
Normski
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Normski »

I already have a Cotter but would like a "split body" instrument so I could align the top and bottom sections off centre. The Olwells and Grinters you mention have long waiting lists and I'm too old to wait years.
Juan Pablo Plata
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Juan Pablo Plata »

Watson makes wonderful flutes. And don't be afraid with the typical volume complaints of the different styles of design: my 8k flute in blackwood is considerably louder, if I want, than my Pratten Seery. And richer, lot of different tones and textures. And very easy to blow. I'm really satisfied.
piobaire mor

Post by piobaire mor »

I own two Watson flutes and have owned and played many others from really good makers. The Watsons are always my favourites, I have several friends who own Watson flutes and everyone agrees that you would go far to get a better flute. I couldn't recommend him highly enough, also his waiting times and prices are very reasonable.
tucson_whistler

Post by tucson_whistler »

I met Mr. Watson in Galway once; he was really nice and let me try one of his flutes. No complaints; I would buy one. He sounds amazing on his. ;)
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/