Sindt Whistle Keys

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
johnnytheshamrock
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Sindt Whistle Keys

Post by johnnytheshamrock »

How many whistle keys has John Sindt made ? He has made them in the keys of:Eb,D nat.,C nat.,Bb and A nat. Does anyone have any other keys made by him ?

Also,what is the maximum interval a whistle can be raised by shortening the length of the tube ? ie.cutting off a short length at the fipple end ? Half tone ? Full tone ? Tone and a half ?

Many thanks.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Re: Sindt Whistle Keys

Post by Byll »

One of my favorite Sindt whistles is my high E.
Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
p51baby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by p51baby »

I had the chance to purchase a C# Sindt many years ago. I passed as I did not see a need for one.

Cheers,

Melany
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

I have quite a few of them in E, Eb, D, C#, C, B, Bb, and A. Those are the only keys he makes, that I am aware of. All very nice. That being said, his A whistles are a bit more fragile in the low end and don't take much push compared to the other keys.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

johnnytheshamrock wrote: Also,what is the maximum interval a whistle can be raised by shortening the length of the tube ? ie.cutting off a short length at the fipple end ? Half tone ? Full tone ? Tone and a half ?
Many thanks.
Cutting the tone tube on both the bottom end and the top end of a ''Generation Bb'' turns it into a key of B. This can be found with the ''C&F search'' at the top right of this page. This has also been done with other keys, and sometimes requires carving/reshaping some of the tone holes.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

Sirchronique wrote:I have quite a few of them in E, Eb, D, C#, C, B, Bb, and A. Those are the only keys he makes, that I am aware of. All very nice. That being said, his A whistles are a bit more fragile in the low end and don't take much push compared to the other keys.

I also have the keys listed above.

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

johnnytheshamrock wrote: what is the maximum interval a whistle can be raised by shortening the length of the tube?
Another way to word this is "what is the range of pitches that can be successfully be made from one bore size?"

I used to have a Susato mezzo "A" that was made from the same bore tubing as the standard Susato High "D" whistle, and it was a sweet player with great tuning. That's going down a 4th.

There's no definite number, I don't think, because it's always a compromise. The wider the bore is the stronger the low notes and the more recalcitrant the high notes; the narrow the bore is the more feeble the low notes and the sweeter the high notes. (Comparing low E to high B usually reveals the extent of the compromise.) So it depends on how feeble a low E you're willing to put up with, and how harsh a high B you're willing to put up with. The better a whistle is voiced, though, the better this compromise sounds, and the very best whistle I've ever played, my c1980 Generation C, has a full round low range and an extremely sweet high range.

I've chopped a Generation C to make a C# and a Generation Bb to made a B, and these play great! But it's only going up a half-step.

Each maker decides what his ideal bore diameter-to-length ratio is, and once he has settled on that then it follows that each key should ideally have its own dedicated tubing. Burkes have a wider diameter-to-length ratio than MKs, for example.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle