OT: clarinet reeds

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

I used to use Rico 2s too, twenty years ago when I played the clarinet at school. I recall that I used to have to wet the reed by taking it off & holding it in my mouth while assembling the clarinet. The thinner the reed, the faster it will break though.
I remember that. Everybody who played clarinet in school had to sit for a few minutes sucking on a reed before we played anything.

Just playing seemed so difficult to me when I was in school, but now since I've picked up a whistle I *want* to play the clarinet and it doesn't feel so daunting or tedious. It's odd how a little tiny piece of metal and plastic with holes in it can change your brain like that.
aderyn_du
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by aderyn_du »

Cran and Martin, I remember that too... I remember absolutely loving the taste of a new reed! What a nut. :lol: I didn't even want to play the clarinet initially, but I'm so glad I did-- I have lots of fond memories of practicing every day, getting ready for competitions, and just tootling around on it. I wish I'd never stopped!!

I wonder if my dad will let me have my clarinet back (it was his... but he doesn't play it anymore. I mean really-- a gorgeous Buffet R-13 should be in use, doncha think?? :-D)

~A
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
Jack

Post by Jack »

I wonder if my dad will let me have my clarinet back (it was his... but he doesn't play it anymore. I mean really-- a gorgeous Buffet R-13 should be in use, doncha think?? )
Imagine....how many Megs it's worth. :D
glauber

Post by glauber »

Seth wrote:I wouldn't necessarily go to a local music store to buy reeds. In my experience most stores charge far more then they should for them. You might want to check out http://www.woodwindbrasswind.com
I second that. Last time i checked, their reeds were cheaper than the ones that were being sold on eBay. Another (shorter) address for the same store is http://www.wwbw.com/.

There's also an "outlet store" section that sometimes has good deals. For example, for clarinet reeds, click here.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
LimuHead
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

When I got back into playing reeds, I decided to get one each of the 1-1/2, 2, and 2-1/2 reeds. I quickly outgrew the 1-1/2, spent a few more days on the 2, and have pretty much settled on a 2-1/2. It allowed my embouchure to strengthen gradually. You might consider going that route...(BTW I occasionally use a 3....)

Aldon
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Sorry, folks, but this reminds me of a joke:

How many clarinetists does it take to put in a light bulb?
-Just one, but s/he'll go thru a whole box of 'em until s/he finds the right one.

N
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

:lol:
janice

Post by janice »

Don't waste your money on Rico's-especially if you haven't played in awhile-only about one in 20 is decent- spend a little more money and buy Mitchell Lurie reeds (Van Dorens are great too, but you usually have to muck with them a bit, and if you don't really know what you are doing this becomes somewhat problematic). Oh-and do yourself a favor-don't get anything less than a strength 3. I've started beginners for 20 years (Sucessfully too I might add!) and I always get them going on 3's at first, and switched to 4's by the end of the school year.
fatveg

Post by fatveg »

aderyn_du wrote:
Off to look at clarinets on Ebay... geez, thanks Cran.... ;)

Andrea
The last time I posted a link about the <a href="http://www.adirondackguitar.com/scaryM/ ... m">Xaphoon Pocket Sax</a> I got into a lot of trouble for people blaming me for 'just having to buy one'. So PLEASE don't click that link.

'Veg

PS, I have one, and it is great fun -- tough to play for someone like me who has no reed background, but a great noisemaker!
<i>"Music is more like water than a rinoceros. It doesn't chase madly down one path. It runs away in every direction" - E. Costello</i>