Bb key question

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
giuseppe porsia
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Bb key question

Post by giuseppe porsia »

Hi all it's my first post here..
Do you prefer the left hand (thumb) key or the right hand one (index) for Bb?
sligofluter

Re: Bb key question

Post by sligofluter »

giuseppe porsia wrote:Hi all it's my first post here..

Left thumb of course.
Our irish music blog in Spanish: https://theirishflow.com/
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

sligofluter wrote:
giuseppe porsia wrote:Hi all it's my first post here..

Left thumb of course.
Same here. I've played Jem's flute (Jemtheflute of these parts) a few times, which has both. That's useful, but if it's a choice, then left thumb. Might be different if you play it left-handed like John Wynne, I suppose.
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

My Monzani has both. But I've never found a place for the right hand one. I suppose it's all about what you're used to as I prefer the short F unless absolutely necessary.

My first keyed flute had only the shortF really working I should add so I worked around it.

I would say that right hand Bb works for those that play flat fingered on the top.
Last edited by dunnp on Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Right index.

Now what does that tell you? My needs are different from sligofluter's, but we know nothing about yours...

Assuming the question's because you're considering which to get and not just curious, the thumb Bb probably makes sense as the standard layout compatible with the majority of available simple flutes. But you might just consider the right-hand touch if you've physiological reasons (as I do) or preference based on experience to go that way.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
giuseppe porsia

Post by giuseppe porsia »

I have to place an order for a new flute, and I have to choose... I play mainly keyless flute, my only keyed flute is an old McMahon, but i play it rarely because I never reach a good feeling with it and when i try to use the thumb Bb key i think it is not very intuitive. So i want to hear others players opinions and experiences.
accordionstu

Post by accordionstu »

I have only ever played Bb or as I call it A# using the left thumb, but it is worth considering because some flutes have been designed with the pad parallel or slightly off set to the left hand tone holes, which easilly fill up with water and dulls the note. I would be interested in trying it using the right index.
Boyd Flutes - For Soprano D Flutes, Fifes and Piccolos. Made in the UK
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

My main flute, a R&R, has the standard thumb Bb with an extra Tromlitz lever for R1 to operate it. It's a good design. However, as a confirmed user of the keys in trad as well as classical music, I very rarely find any use for it and don't much miss it on my other flutes which don't have it. On the other hand, I wouldn't do without either of my F keys. I'd say learn a good Rockstro style support system and have your L thumb free to operate a thumb key as readily as you might wish (provided it is well placed and set up).
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

jemtheflute wrote:I'd say learn a good Rockstro style support system and have your L thumb free to operate a thumb key as readily as you might wish (provided it is well placed and set up).
Just to say a preference for the right-hand touch doesn't necessarily imply left-thumb-dependent support. My left thumb's completely free to operate a C nat thumb hole, which I also typically vent for C#. But my flute's also unique in its arrangement of other keys (e.g. right-hand G#) and offset holes, so I've good reason to say 'the thumb Bb probably makes sense as the standard layout compatible with the majority of available simple flutes.' Put simply, any departure from standard is likely to increase your commitment to that particular instrument, limiting your opportunities to play others or perhaps later sell your own on. It's not a problem for me when I have a beautiful flute perfectly adapted to my needs (I simply can't play a standard simple system layout with left-hand G# and long F!) and really do regard it as a 'flute for life'. It's quite possibly useless to anyone else as well as priceless to me, but was conceived, built and paid for in the full knowledge that this would be so. So by all means consider the right-hand Bb touch if you find the thumb key unintuitive, but be sure you really want it and understand the implications of taking a non-standard path.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

It all depends on how you grip the flute. I use the Quantz grip, which is a three-point grip with the lip, LH knuckle, and LH thumb are the support points. So no LH thumb to actuate the Bfat. If you use a Rockstro grip, you'll definitely want the LH thumb; if a 5-point you might LH or both.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

Modern flutes and clarinets tend to have 2 options for the same note, one on each hand because of the need to play in many key signatures, and the need to go from one keyed note to another, or where getting from one note to another when the same finger is used on both notes (eg like long and short F on a simple system-the long F makes it much easier to play and F after a D). When I played the clarinet seriously 45 years ago, I found just a little faster, and a little cleaner to try an alternate hands when playing keyed notes. I had a Rudall and Rose like Jem's, with both Bb keys, the thumb and the right hand index finger. I didn't use it much because I was not going often from Bb to Ab (as an example where using keys on alternate hands might offer a small advantage), because I am not playing in Eb or C minor often.

So I would say that if you intend to use the flute for different kinds of musics that play in more interesting keys, then or if you use a flat fingered grip with the left hand, then get the RH Bb. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Just to add some odd wrinkles: If you have a keyed flute with a rt hand Bb touch, it can somewhat shorten the C natural touch, to make room for them both. That isn't so helpful, since easy access to the C natural key is nice.
LewisC
Tell us something.: It is a beautiful day in the piedmont for playing a favorite boxwood simple-system flute. Is that enough typing to get to 100 characters?? Maybe not, just to make sure here is a bit more stuff from the keyboard ...

Post by LewisC »

Hi, I prefer the RH Bb touch. Having started on clarinet and sax, it is just more natural for me; lifting the left thumb still requires some thought. I have one flute with the extra lever that allows a choice.

Look at the flute in the Monzani article by Hammy Hamilton. The C touch sweeps up a bit and the Bb touch is lower and longer down the flute. This allows C to be played with a rocking / arcing motion of the right index and the Bb to be played with a straightening of the same index finger.

http://hammy-flutemaker.blogspot.com/20 ... -last.html

Lewis
bradhurley
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bradhurley »

LewisC wrote:Hi, I prefer the RH Bb touch. Having started on clarinet and sax, it is just more natural for me; lifting the left thumb still requires some thought.
You don't have to lift the left thumb for the LH Bb touch, though. It's more of a rocking motion. Your left thumb should be normally positioned close to the Bb touch, and to open the Bb key you simply rotate your thumb slightly to open the touch. You don't have to lift the thumb and place it on the touch, which would be kind of awkward.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

This recent video of mine was partly done specifically to demonstrate key use. The tune setting is in Gm, so there's quite a lot of Bb thumb key use going on! I agree with Brad that often one can roll the thumb on and off the key, though that may depend somewhat on the precise configuration and set-up of the key. As it happened, in this clip nearly all my L thumb action is not of the rolling variety, though I do do that where the context makes it the best/most natural option. I think the clip does show how free the L thumb can be to operate a key without imperilling hold stability. The flute in the clip is the one mentioned above with the Tromlitz extension lever for R1, which you will note I do not use once in this tune.
Last edited by jemtheflute on Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads