Reed Makers: Any Recommendations?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
mpgnyc
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Reed Makers: Any Recommendations?

Post by mpgnyc »

Hi all,

I am in need of a new chanter reed (see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=101124). Can you recommend any makers?

This is for a Bruce Childress practice set. I need a reed that will offer a soft tone (I live in an apartment) and a light touch.

Any suggestions of a good reed maker would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
Mr.Gumby

Re: Reed Makers: Any Recommendations?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

In general, the first port of call should be the maker of the set.
My brain hurts

mpgnyc

Post by mpgnyc »

Right. I contacted Bruce and hope to hear back. I asked whether he can tailor a reed closer to my needs.

I'm also interested in trying a few variations. I like Bruce's work, but would like to see if there are any reeds that might be more suited to my situation and style. I really need a softer, easier playing reed.
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

Is there a pipe maker and/or reed maker near you?
Life is good.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

mpgnyc wrote:I need a reed that will offer a soft tone (I live in an apartment) and a light touch.
Most reed-makers will tell you that if you start off with a reed which is a little on the stiff side, it'll produce a better tone and last longer. It'll also become easier to play with time (a few months of regular playing).

I've played several of Bruce's chanters with his reeds and found them to be nicely playable (pressure-wise) and not too loud. That said the chanter reeds had been played in.

Your best bet is to wait for Bruce to get back to you.
PJ
dyersituations

Post by dyersituations »

PJ wrote:Most reed-makers will tell you that if you start off with a reed which is a little on the stiff side, it'll produce a better tone and last longer. It'll also become easier to play with time (a few months of regular playing).
I was told the same thing by the piper maker who made my current reeds a couple weeks ago.
Life is good.
mpgnyc

Post by mpgnyc »

Thanks for the advice. The thing is, I'm not dealing with new reeds. One is 20 and the other 17 years old. I had an instructor back in the 90's who himself had a difficult time playing my reed. After attempting some minor adjustments, he suggested I either take up body building or try a new reed. That was when I bought the second reed. I was quickly deterred when it was just as difficult to play (and frustrated knowing how easily some played). So over the years, I have only pulled out my pipes about once a month.

I want to be clear that I really like Bruce's work. My practice set is well made and the chanter is beautifully crafted (with a nice tone).

I have decided to get back into the pipes, realizing that tampering with my reeds does less harm than leaving my pipes sitting on a shelf collecting dust. Seeing if I could get a more suitable tone out of these reeds, I attempted a few minor adjustments. After some trial-and-error, I managed to get a nice, softer tone and I can play without my arm falling off.

But there is one problem: the C# is now playing as a C natural (the back D and other notes are still in tune). So I tried adjusting the other reed and it has the same problem. Now I have 2 reeds producing a flat C#. Some recommendations have been to widen the chanter hole, but I've had this set for 20 years and I know it's not a problem with the chanter. I figure a new reed will get me back in tune and then I can continue to experiment on these 2 reeds and maybe one day get them back in playing condition.

And since I am buying a new reed, I thought this might be an opportunity to see what other reeds might offer.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

So I tried adjusting the other reed and it has the same problem.
Was the problem there before you started 'adjusting' the reeds? If you adjusted both reeds in a similar manner, you may well have caused the flat C.

Opening and closing reeds, moving the bridle up and down, will affect certain notes, ie flatten or sharpen them. The pipes don't really have a volume adjustment button, there's some wriggle room but a chanter/reed combination has a certain area where it is happy.
My brain hurts

mpgnyc

Post by mpgnyc »

My adjustments definitely caused the flat C#. The upside is that I can now play without sitting on my bag to get enough air pressure. :)

I tried reopening the lips a bit and while the reed definitely got louder and harder to play, the C# stayed flat. What's the word for the opposite of the best of both worlds?

I will keep experimenting, adjusting, and learning with these reeds. However, I also want something playable in the meantime. It could be years before I get these reeds back in tune.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It could be worth having a more experienced piper have a look at your set, check the reeds and see what the story is.
My brain hurts

Caspermilktoast

Post by Caspermilktoast »

When I started I had the same problem with the reed being to hard. It turns out the bag had a leak in it, the stischi9ng was leaking in numerous spots. That will make it very difficult to play. Also if you put the bridle too high and then close it to make it softer, that can make the notes go way off ( in my experience)

I would test the bag for airtightness...
"What I love about the pipes is, you can always blame the weather for your poor playing..."
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I got a spare "Midwestern winter" reed from Justin Rosander at Wild Goose Reeds. He did a great job. If Bruce is too busy, you might want to get in touch with Justin.

https://wildgoosereeds.wordpress.com/

In Ireland, you might want to try Martin Gallen at Banba Designs. I haven't got any reeds from him myself, but it seems a lot of people are happy with his work.

http://banbadesign.co.uk/epages/31a848a ... tegories/6
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
JoFo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by JoFo »

Try contacting Alan Burton of Reedshaman.
http://www.reedshaman.co.uk

I ordered a chanter (with reed) from him a couple of years ago. And it's by far the easiest playing and best working chanter/reed combination I've tried.

On some chanters there might be another solution to playing a C#. At least when coming from the second octave D.
Play the second octave D, then remove all your bottom hand fingers, except for your little finger and increase the pressure slightly. This works very well on a few chanters - though not on most.