Long time Highland Piper, starting off on Uilleann adventure

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Coffee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Long time Highland Piper, starting off on Uilleann adventure

Post by Coffee »

So... I should be getting my new chanter in the post today. I can't wait to start learning on it.
I have my Na Piobri Uilleann introduction to the uilleann pipes disc.
I'm good to go, right?

What major pitfalls await me on this new beast? Has my experience with the GH pipes prepared me well, or will I be basically starting from scratch?
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Long time Highland Piper, starting off on Uilleann adventure

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Coffee

Welcome to the dark side. :thumbsup:

According to the friends I have that went through the process, The discipline required to learn GHB means that you will pick up the fingering quite quickly. If you play Border pipes/Smallpipes then the bag and bellows technique transfers over. The one thing that most of them remarked on was that the hardest part was stopping using GHB ornamentation instead of UP.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
magroibin

Post by magroibin »

What do you mean by "new chanter" exactly?
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

One major pitfall is the reed. If you can make your own reeds or have someone closeby who does, things will be a whole lot easier. I see you are in Alaska. The cold, dry winter air (even indoors) will be tough to deal with. Keep your pipes where the temperature and humidity are stable.
PJ
razzmaster

Post by razzmaster »

Good for you! I agree on with the comment on ornamentation. The fact that many things will translate quickly (basic scale, fingerings, bag/bellows technique) is both a blessing and a curse. I found that b/c I could make the switch and start playing almost immediately (or making sounds at least!) when I took up uilleann pipes, I was delinquent in really focusing on uilleann specific ornamentation. I was thrilled just to be playing and my made-up bagpipe/uilleann hybrid style of playing was good enough in my mind. Eventually I started forcing myself to do things right, but I wish someone had held my feet to the fire earlier!
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Magroibin, I've had a bag and bellows for a while, and have plugged one of my practice chanters in to work on that part of the technique. I should receive my uilleann chanter in the post today; it's a David Daye Leo Rowesome model.

Thanks for the information! Yeah, I've had "GDE" drilled so deeply into my head I'll probably unconsciously do my D-F triplets/cuts with those same fingers just for habit.

I won't be in Alaska much longer: I'm off to Korea in January, then San Antonio a year later. Whee!
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Calum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Calum »

Treat it like a new instrument. Some of it comes quite quickly, yes, but you'll find that there's a temptation to jump tricky bits to get to the next "easy" bit. Resist it.

Remember that all the pressure control comes from your bag arm, not the bellows.

Find someone local who can talk sense about reeds. It makes life so much easier.
magroibin

Post by magroibin »

Coffee wrote:Magroibin, I've had a bag and bellows for a while, and have plugged one of my practice chanters in to work on that part of the technique. I should receive my uilleann chanter in the post today; it's a David Daye Leo Rowesome model.
Whew! That's a relief. Thought you may have fallen for one of these:
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Ah. Nah, not such a fool as that; it has bad idea written all over it... in Urdu.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I started off on Highland pipes too- 40 years ago- then got bit by the uilleann bug, and over the last 35 years I've given dozens of Highland pipers their first lessons on the uilleann pipes, and I see them doing the same things over and over.

It is extremely important- critically important- to have face-to-face lessons. There is absolutely no way around this. Why? Because on the uilleann chanter there are many problems that beginners have, that strangely enough can sound exactly the same whether the problem is something the beginner is doing wrong, or some problem with the chanter or reed itself.

At practically every lesson I have to plug the beginner's chanter into my pipes for a minute to find out the cause of some odd sound coming out of their chanter. I can find out if it's the chanter misbehaving, or something they're doing wrong. If I can simulate their issue I can discover the cause, be it a pressure thing or a finger-placement thing or a reed thing or a key-leaking thing or whatever. This is impossible over Skype, or with the beginner completely on his own.

Not having face-to-face lessons can ruin a beginner, it happens. A very good Highland piper here took up the uilleann pipes and declined help from me (I would give him some pointers for free, it wasn't a money thing). When I met him from time to time he would comment on how difficult he found the uilleann pipes to blow, but still declined help. Then a few months later he told me he had injured his shoulder, a pretty bad injury, he couldn't play pipes at all. Turns out his uilleann chanter reed was ridiculously strong, ten times stronger than ANY uilleann piper would ever try to play, strong enough to screw up his shoulder. (He finally had got together with an uilleann piper who immediately discovered the problem.) Had this guy started off with a teacher, the teacher would have tried his chanter in the first minute of the first lesson and fixed his reed so it played correctly from the get-go, and we might have another good uilleann piper in the world.

Anyhow, forget everything you think you know about piping, and approach the uilleann chanter with just as fresh an approach as you would if you were taking up clarinet. The hand-posture, approach to lifting the fingers, approach to blowing, fingering, ornaments, everything is utterly different than the Highland pipes.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Pan...it's Chris Abernethy here. I know you from the other forum.

Yeah, slight problem; there are no Uilleann players in Alaska.
None.
I've looked.

That said, so far, it all seems strangely familiar...almost easy. Almost.
David Daye'a new chanters are quite nice.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

There used to be (like, ten years ago) several uilleann pipers in Alaska. Good ones...and reedmakers to boot.
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

I'll look again.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Coffee wrote: it all seems strangely familiar...
Ha! Then you must be doing something wrong! :)

When I took up the uilleann pipes everything felt awkward and alien and it should. The instrument, the music, the way the pipes are blown, the way the reed works, the fingerings, the finger-posture, as I said even something as basic as how you lift your fingers from the holes, is different.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Coffee

Post by Coffee »