How do you play Inisheer?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
fatveg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How do you play Inisheer?

Post by fatveg »

Hi there,
I learnt this lovely tune from the Riley School of Music mp3 -- http://w3.one.net/~rsim/MP3/Inisheer.mp3 . The meter is fairly even and regular, a straight walz, in this recording. Listening to other people's playing, I've noticed that some play it with far more of a lilt -- in particular moving very quickly from the B to the d in the second bar -- see for instance Mick Woodruf's recording at http://fingertrip.net/whistle/mp3/inisheer.mp3 . I know that this is a recent tune (by Thomas Walsh), but I don't know if there is an accepted 'right' way to play it. The two ways sound so different to me, and I don't want people to look at me funny when I play it (well, not for that reason anyway).

'veg
<i>"Music is more like water than a rinoceros. It doesn't chase madly down one path. It runs away in every direction" - E. Costello</i>
CDon

Re: How do you play Inisheer?

Post by CDon »

fatveg wrote:I learnt this lovely tune...
It is indeed lovely, in both versions. I'm sure that I don't know the answer, but it will be interesting to read the comments. I have this one highest on the list to learn next.
Don
<i>"If music be the food of love, play on;" William Shakespeare – Twelfth Night, Act I, Scene 1</i>
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

I learned the tune the way Mick plays it from the recording on his website.
My favorite version is from a group on MP3.com called 'StoneRing', which is played very similarly to Mick's version.
I have heard it played both ways by a variety of artists, and I'm not sure which way is the actual correct way.
Check out my recording on Clips & Snips for a similar version to the second one you posted a link to.
http://www.tinwhistletunes.com/clipssni ... mphrey.mp3
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Badly. :D
raindog1970 wrote:I learned the tune the way Mick plays it from the recording on his website.
Me too. Just started playing it a few days ago in fact. I remembered it as a tune I wanted to learn from an earlier visit to the site. Beautiful tune.
BrassBlower
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

raindog1970 wrote:My favorite version is from a group on MP3.com called 'StoneRing', which is played very similarly to Mick's version.
I like this version, too. I usually play it slowly and with emotion, over a fingerpicked guitar. However, if you guys approve, I could always do a rocked-out version for Clips & Snips. :lol:

I burned the free downloads from MP3.com onto a CD (two CD's, really). Despite their penchant for Rebel songs, I thought they were pretty good.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

I just listened to Mick's version, and I think it's pretty nice. It's close to what I've heard in sessions in Ireland, altough for some reason I prefer the tune on the flute or low whistle.
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

Hi,
I play it slower with emotion too, and not Mick's version.
It sounds beautiful with a Harp or a Guitar and slow or a bit faster.
I would play it more, but its on the list of "overplayed tunes", so
I don't want to bore anyoe, ha ha
Lolly
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

My memory says that Dave Parkhurst had it on his web-site as a sample of his whistle - listening to it there was the first time I heard the piece. It was beautiful. Haven't checked to see if it is still there . . . well done indeed.
lawhistle

Post by lawhistle »

I have a nice recording of this tune from a session I was at a couple of years ago. I wouldn't have the first idea of how to put it up here, so if anyone's interested, I can email it to you if you'll post it. It's a nice version on flute and whistle. Thanks.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

More like the 2nd version, but without the "Scotch snap" when going from b to d. I like that, though! I'll probably start using it. :)
Steven

Post by Steven »

Veg--
I play it more the way you do, and was also a bit confused when I heard Mick's version. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who plays it like I do! However, even after hearing Mick (and I think someone else at about the same time) play it with that snap, I didn't change my way, because I just like it better played evenly and smoothly. It seems to fit the tune better.

Thanks for posting on this and letting me know I'm not just strange (at least because of that).

:-)
Steven
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I learned to play it from Mick's site, and thus with that bit of lilt, but it's lovely both ways. I think if I were playing it as a whistle solo, I'd go with Mick's version (bit more ornamented), but as a straight waltz with multiple instruments.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Adams_gert

Post by Adams_gert »

Shantalla plays also a nice version of Inisheer.

http://www.greenlinnet.com/shopping/sea ... ductID=297

Gert
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

Redwolf wrote:I learned to play it from Mick's site, and thus with that bit of lilt, but it's lovely both ways. I think if I were playing it as a whistle solo, I'd go with Mick's version (bit more ornamented), but as a straight waltz with multiple instruments.

Redwolf
I learned to play it from Micks site also. Thanks Mick! The lilt is my favorite part. I will have to try to play it without the lilt just to see how it feels.

Cheers,
Kathy :)
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~