I'm sitting here and....

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
chelbelle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I'm sitting here and....

Post by chelbelle »

looking at the whistle that I was given by my boyfriend, Bill. And the condition was that I actually learn to play it! He bookmarked this site for me and said Chiff and Fipple is the place to go.

I'm having a little bit of trouble with my fingers at the end of the whistle, my fingers are so short and tiny. But I keep trying. Now I sit and wonder where do I start? Hmmm....

I started wanting to play after my vacation to a cabin in the middle of nowhere. Bill played outside after dark with the stars sparkling. So I took his whistle and went to have a seat on the porch while he aws in the cabin and started blowing. And here I am!

Now let's see if I can figure it all out. :lol:
"S' wonderful! S' marvelous!
That you should care for me!
S' awful nice! S' paradise!
S' what I love to see!"

-Diana Krall
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

Welcome! You'll have lots of fun here!

What kind of whistle do you have? I have a Meg C and can't reach the bottom D hole, but my Meg D is fine, as are all the other D's I have. So, maybe another whistle would solve your problem (WhOA)!

Robin
Jack

Post by Jack »

I was under the impression that some older Sweetone and Meg Cs have their last holes really far down. My Meg C is like that. The last hole is (goes to measure it)....1 1/4 inches away, center to center.
chelbelle

Post by chelbelle »

spittin_in_the_wind wrote:
What kind of whistle do you have?
I have a Susato D. Beyond that I don't know much more about them. :) I'm hyper to learn to play a tune, but first the real work of learning the notes!

Chel
S' what I love to see!"

-Diana Krall
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I would suggest as a learning tool Bill Och's Clarke Tinwhistle book and definately get the one with the cd. That way you get the written music, plus hearing the subtle phrasing that you can only get by hearing the tune played correctly. I got one from the Whistle Shop. Whether you can already read music or are completely new to it, there is something for everyone in this book.

BUT- in the meantime- think of a simple tune that you know- then find it on the whistle. That's one of the joys of whistling- not having to rely on written music for a tune! :D
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

Welcome to the board!

I just started playing whistle in late January, so I'm pretty new to it myself. When I started, I was a rank beginner with no musical experience whatsoever. I’ve since memorized about a dozen songs and now sound almost like a professional player.

Well maybe not professional level, but definitely advanced. Okay maybe not advanced, but a pretty good intermediate.

Okay. Okay. So I sound like a beginner who knows a dozen songs, but I’m having fun. :) :) :)
chelbelle

Post by chelbelle »

Thanks for the advice cowtime!

:lol: @ MikeJ.

Having fun is the key.

Are there any excerises that anyone would recommend to strengthen hands?

Chel
S' what I love to see!"

-Diana Krall
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

She's hooked, guys. Averaging 3 posts per day already! Good job, all!

Robin
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

If you have really small hands, you might want to get a slightly more slender whistle to start with. I have a Susato, and it's the biggest around of any of my whistles, except for perhaps my Elfsong. Perhaps a Generation?

The best exercise for limbering the hands (you don't really need to strenghthen them so much as loosen them up) is quite simply lots of playing. I agree with what's been said here...think of some simple tunes you can hum and pick them out on the whistle, while you wait for that Bill Ochs book to arrive (I second that recommendation). The more tunes you acquire, the more you will enjoy playing and the more playing you will do...and the facility will come.

It might help to practice the scale a bit, just to get a feel for where the notes are. The fingerings for the basic major scale in D are straight up the whistle...start with all holes covered (that's D...or "Do" on the scale), then lift the bottom finger for E (Re), then the two bottom fingers for F# (Mi), and so on up the whistle. When you get to the top, lift all your fingers for C# (Fa), then put them all back down again except for the very top one (high D, or "Do" again). That's your bottom octave, and with that, you can pick out quite a few tunes.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
chelbelle

Post by chelbelle »

I am indeed hooked. I have my whistle sitting next to my mouse pad. Not many things get that place. They must be very sacred. ;)

I'll start looking for tunes that I can play and practice fingering too! I think that book is going to come in handy. My best friend Cori has been here 7 days or so. She bought the book last night after reading here!

Chel
S' what I love to see!"

-Diana Krall
Jack

Post by Jack »

I am indeed hooked. I have my whistle sitting next to my mouse pad. Not many things get that place. They must be very sacred.
Sacred to me then are 4 of my whistles, diet coke, and a green staple gun.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

chelbelle wrote:I am indeed hooked. I have my whistle sitting next to my mouse pad. Not many things get that place. They must be very sacred. ;)

I'll start looking for tunes that I can play and practice fingering too! I think that book is going to come in handy. My best friend Cori has been here 7 days or so. She bought the book last night after reading here!

Chel
The Bill Ochs book is great...the best whistle tutor out there, IMO. Another thing you can do while you wait for it is visit some of the on-line whistle tutorial sites, such as:

http://www.whistleworkshop.co.uk/

http://www.whistletutor.com/

And, for your listening pleasure (which also aids learning):

http://www.tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/

http://fingertrip.net/index.html

Have fun!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Just thought I'd say hi and welcome, and add that the Susato is a good whistle, but a little hard to control on the 2nd octave.

It takes some time to hit the notes solidly without making them shrill; the good news is, once you've got the Susato down, you're not going to have much trouble playing any whistle out there.

Welcome, and best wishes,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
DaveAuty
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the whistle, I used to play flute but have Dupuytren's contracture so can only play whistle now which is fine. Mostly play sessions around Canterbury Kent area.

Post by DaveAuty »

If you have really small hands, you might want to get a slightly more slender whistle to start with. I have a Susato, and it's the biggest around of any of my whistles, except for perhaps my Elfsong. Perhaps a Generation?
Also a Generation or Clarke are not so difficult to play, the Susato can be very loud and if you are just beginning this can be a drawback.
If you get a chance listen to Sean Ryan, a wizard whistle player, he plays Susato whistles. His music can be found at http://www.tradmusic.com/shop/shophome.asp

Another site that might be of interest for learning to play Irish music is http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/b ... index.html

Good luck,

Dave.
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I think that if you just play a lot, memorize 2 or 3 tunes and play them over and over you will find that your fingers will improve and just automattically go to the right place. When I started my fingers where never in the right place. Now they just fall into place. I agree with the others I have a Susato D and it is a little hard to play in the second octave. I would recommend a Clark SweeTone as an easier Whistle to play in the beginning. Of course you should buy at least one of each brand until see what you like.
Ron