Best inexpensive fife

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Akiba
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Best inexpensive fife

Post by Akiba »

Hi Chiffers,

I have a gig where I need to play fife. I usually borrow a Cooperman from a friend, but that's not an option this year. I play solo and use the first two octaves. I only need the fife for this gig, so I don't want to spend a lot.

I see Cooperman has a student persimmon that may fit my needs:

http://www.cooperman.com/fife-news/trad ... l-student/

Is this decent? I would think it is coming from Cooperman.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Jason
MTGuru

Re: Best inexpensive fife

Post by MTGuru »

Probably a silly question ... But if it's the 8va range you need, could you play a whistle instead? If it needs to look like a fife, you could play it sideways in the transverse position, and few people would know the difference.

The best inexpensive fife might be a whistle. :D
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

I thought about that, MT. :wink: Looked at all my options I already have. Still need a real fife. Cheers.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Akiba wrote:I see Cooperman has a student persimmon that may fit my needs ... Is this decent? I would think it is coming from Cooperman.
I've never gotten on well with any of the Cooperman persimmon models I have tried. The Cooperman professional models are better, and you would think that they should be. Actually, the plastic model fifes are sometimes better. YMMV.

For first octave playing I like the Sweet folk flutes. I've had C and D versions. But I do not think that they offer one in Bb if that is what you need.

A DIY PVC job is always an option if you can handle that. Or how about one of Jem's fifes?

I've had Dixon's in D, C, A, G and F but not Bb for some reason. They aren't the best fifes in my book but they will work. The most recent ones are much better than the older ones from, say, ten years back. The latest embouchure and lip plate work better than previous versions.

I also play a Healy 10-hole fife that does well in the first octave and soars beyond that. Might be too much for casual use though, not cheap.

I play a couple of Peeler fifes too. They aren't particularly good for the first octave though.

The Yamaha, Angel or Woodnote fifes are more recorder centric in their fingering layout but they do work. The price is usually right.

David Angus fifes get talked about now and then. Never played one. Not sure about the first octave. Medium priced - lots for sale on eBay.

But if you feel the need to try the Cooperman persimmon fife you can almost always find them quite cheap on eBay.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
DeTerminator
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DeTerminator »

I have nothing but good things to say about these fifes, off of Ebay. http://stores.ebay.com/littlewoodwinds? ... 7675.l2563 The guy is committed to making the best fifes possible, for a very reasonable price. He has a wide variety of really nice hardwoods, as well, and is great to do business with. I have five of his fifes, in different keys. Definitely check it out!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Akiba wrote:I see Cooperman has a student persimmon that may fit my needs:

http://www.cooperman.com/fife-news/trad ... l-student/

Is this decent? I would think it is coming from Cooperman.
What are your needs? Specific key? Period look? If it is wood, I cannot say anything about Cooperman's student fife, but their plastic one is usable With a wider bore for a fife, and their maple one sold to tourists is not worth the trouble, so it seems like a crap shoot. Might be worth a chance depending of on the ability to try or return. Chances are it will be weaker in the first octave as most fifes compromise the first register to help the third, but if you have played a Cooperman, you know what to expect from that style.

There are some wood like bamboo options out there that would most likely have a more solid bottom end. Usually they are in the same price range as the Cooperman student model. Unfortunately I have no experience with those.

Feadoggie pretty much covered everything else I can think of..
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

DeTerminator wrote:I have nothing but good things to say about these fifes, off of Ebay. http://stores.ebay.com/littlewoodwinds? ... 7675.l2563 The guy is committed to making the best fifes possible, for a very reasonable price. He has a wide variety of really nice hardwoods, as well, and is great to do business with. I have five of his fifes, in different keys. Definitely check it out!
Are these designed to play in the lower registers? Would the D version play in the same range as a D whistle? Or are they designed for the upper registers?

Thanks and best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
DeTerminator

Post by DeTerminator »

Steve Bliven wrote:
DeTerminator wrote:I have nothing but good things to say about these fifes, off of Ebay. http://stores.ebay.com/littlewoodwinds? ... 7675.l2563 The guy is committed to making the best fifes possible, for a very reasonable price. He has a wide variety of really nice hardwoods, as well, and is great to do business with. I have five of his fifes, in different keys. Definitely check it out!
Are these designed to play in the lower registers? Would the D version play in the same range as a D whistle? Or are they designed for the upper registers?

Thanks and best wishes.

Steve...sorry for the late reply. His D fifes are the same range as a D whistle. They are loud, just sayin'! Drop him a line, he's a great guy that knows his fifes.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

I just came across this post, some 3 years later. He still has those on eBay, and I ordered a D in Curly Catalpa wood. They really do look nice.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
DeTerminator

Post by DeTerminator »

I think you're going to really like it, BrewerPaul. They're pretty sweet!
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

I got the fife two days ago and I totally agree. The curly Catalpa is absolutely gorgeous and the craftsmanship of the fife is superb. I've been in communication with the maker on technical details, and I agree that he is indeed dedicated to making the best fife he can. I really don't know how he can do it for $30 (varies by wood and key).
If anyone has toyed with the idea of a fife, I'd whole heartedly recommend these. I may even go for another or two in different keys.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

From what I remember, he pretty much sticks with a half inch bore for his fifes up to G. Seems like he is more for the lower registers of the instrument he mentions G and F fifes, but I don't recall seeing them for sale.

Ah, here's the info.
http://www.fontanastudio.com/history.html
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

I.D.10-t wrote:From what I remember, he pretty much sticks with a half inch bore for his fifes up to G. Seems like he is more for the lower registers of the instrument he mentions G and F fifes, but I don't recall seeing them for sale.
He has a G flute/fife in butternut for sale on eBay now. That one sounds like it has a 11/16" bore although the maker refers to a small bore G (I assume it has a 1/2" bore) in the auction write. up. It can be viewed here.
brewerpaul wrote:If anyone has toyed with the idea of a fife, I'd whole heartedly recommend these. I may even go for another or two in different keys.
This is nice to know. I have seen these fifes for sale every day for the last several years on my fife/flute/whistle rounds at eBay. I have dismissed them based on the linked sound samples - the intonation on those is not very good.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

More description of the G fife here.

Best wishes,

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Steph7
Tell us something.: Hi,
I am Stephen, I live and play trad music in Cork city since 2002.
Hi,
Hi,

Post by Steph7 »

Angus Fifes, they are really good. I've been to David and tried lot of his fife, very nice quality!!