Unbreakable whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tak_the_whistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Unbreakable whistle?

Post by Tak_the_whistler »

Simply put, what maker offers a whistle that is really hard to damage, particularly the fipple & windway part?
<><
Tak
---------------------------------------
<b>"Nothing can be yours by nature."</b>
--- Lewis
Cori

And ... and ...

Post by Cori »

And what ghastly whistle accidents have enabled people to test this out..?

*chortling*
All we have to decide is what to do with the tune that is given us.
Tweaked from Tolkien
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I only have one whistle I consider pretty much indesctructable, barring running over it with a vehicle: the Serpent copper tunable I have is heavy-gauge copper and brass.

I would hate to see the circumstance in which one of these babies could get damaged!

Plays great, too. :)

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Water Weasel Bb and A whistles are among the toughest, plus they're not very massive.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Actually I've both heard of and experienced cracked head sets in Water Weasel multi-tube sets, but this may not apply to the single-key whistles.

If you want indestructibility and don't care about anything else, I'd recomment the Susato Dublin. I don't love the two I have, but I doubt that King Kong could break them.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Serp sez you can run over his Village Smithy with a car and not damage it. That's a pretty tough whistle. :)
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Yup, get one of Serpent's molybdenum (however you spell it) steel whistles, you'd have to take a jackhammer to that thing if you wanted to put a dent in it. :lol:
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
msheldon

Post by msheldon »

The most indestructible whistles I have are discontinued.

The Chieftain Gold series were dimensionally identical to the regular aluminum Chieftains, but were instead made with brass, including a solid brass fipple-plug. I've got one each in High-D, Mezzo-A, Low-F and Low-D.

You'd have to do something gawdawful significant and stupid to damage one of these things. I figure you'd probably have to strike it very hard against the corner of a hard, heavy object, like a brick wall.

Sitting down with the high-D in the back pocket is a good way to tear a hole through the pocket. :)

The disadvantage to these things is the rather extreme weight. (A full pound for the Low-D.) The advantages are a really nice sound, and that they're nearly immune to tonal shifts caused by temperature variations.
Michael Sheldon
Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a good book.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
markv

Post by markv »

I'd have to put in a second for the Water Weasels' vote. I was using my low G weasel as a template for a whistle I was making and left the weas on the front of my wife's car near the wipers (shop's in the garage). I, of course, forgot to put it back so my wife drove to work with it there the next day. We live about ten miles outside town and she drove at 65 mph with that whistle sitting there. As she took the offramp she noticed it and needless to say as soon as she did it tumbled off the hood and under the car, the car behind her and the car behind them... By the time she pulled over it had been hit by at least 4 cars and tumbled down the side of the road. being the loving caring wife she is, she went to go get it (I think she did it just to beat me with it). It survived with just a couple scratches and a slightly more rounded fipple. Still plays great!

MarkV
Fairy tales are more than true: not because
they tell us that dragons exist, but because
they tell us that dragons can be beaten.

G. K. Chesterton
serpent

Guarantees

Post by serpent »

I will absolutely guarantee that not you jumping up and down on it, your car running over it repeatedly, your dog chewing it, your using it to pry open a stuck window, or any other normal application of force to the thing, wll damage a Serpent Village Smithy High D. I will not guarantee that you can't beat it out of shape with a six-pound hammer on an anvil, but that's kind of out of the realm of "normal" force.

Not warranted against melting in a plasma torch flame, do not use oxy-acetylene cutting torches on the wooden fipple, large grinding wheels turning at high RPM can damage it, as can silicon carbide cutoff wheels. Punching of extra fingerholes with low-caliber steel-jacketed high-velocity bullets is prohibited. Not warranted to survive nuclear near-miss by any bomb over 40 kilotons. Post no bills. Void where prohibited.
:D
serpent
Add yourself to the Serpent Newsletter!
Send email to serpent@serpentmusic.com subject "add"
TelegramSam

Re: Guarantees

Post by TelegramSam »

serpent wrote:I will absolutely guarantee that not you jumping up and down on it, your car running over it repeatedly, your dog chewing it, your using it to pry open a stuck window, or any other normal application of force to the thing, wll damage a Serpent Village Smithy High D. I will not guarantee that you can't beat it out of shape with a six-pound hammer on an anvil, but that's kind of out of the realm of "normal" force.

Not warranted against melting in a plasma torch flame, do not use oxy-acetylene cutting torches on the wooden fipple, large grinding wheels turning at high RPM can damage it, as can silicon carbide cutoff wheels. Punching of extra fingerholes with low-caliber steel-jacketed high-velocity bullets is prohibited. Not warranted to survive nuclear near-miss by any bomb over 40 kilotons. Post no bills. Void where prohibited.
:D
serpent
:lol:
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Not that I've put it to the test, mind, but I think you'd have to work pretty hard at damaging an Elfsong. Oh, you could chip the paint easily enough, but that fipple is pretty darned sturdy. Maybe not quite in Serpent's league, but you sure don't have to mollycoddle it either.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

So Tak,

What are you planning to do with your whistle that might destruct it?

Or are you looking to pave your driveway with Serpent Village Smithy's?

:-?

Just noticed, my current avatar seems particularly appropriate for this thread!
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
rosenlof

Post by rosenlof »

The Chieftan gold was mentioned, but any of the solid aluminum type of whistle should be really really tough. Overton, Chieftan, Harper.

Of these I've only played a Chieftan, high D. It's not my favorite D (that would be Sindt) but its low octave is pretty nice.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Susatos seem pretty tough.