Greensleeves

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Peter Duggan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Greensleeves

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote:because I couldn't understand a word he said in his intro, other than "quaver".
Which is the one you'd probably be least likely to use yourself?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Quaver, and the rest of that nomenclature. But I know of it (only in passing, to be sure), so it was recognisable.

If that's what you meant.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:And one more thing: I was laughing at myself because I couldn't understand a word he said in his intro, other than "quaver". The Scots tongue can be a real challenge for me.
Ah now. That's interesting. I didn't even think of that. His accent sounds really mild to me. I am not Scottish. Shows what a separation of an ocean will do.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:And one more thing: I was laughing at myself because I couldn't understand a word he said in his intro, other than "quaver". The Scots tongue can be a real challenge for me.
Ah now. That's interesting. I didn't even think of that. His accent sounds really mild to me. I am not Scottish. Shows what a separation of an ocean will do.
Well, I have to be around it for it to sink in because for one thing, while it's all characteristically Scottish, to my ear it's not homogeneous, and living in the States as I do, that means I have to get used to the individual speaker. I would have to adjust my ear going from Lallans to The Doric. If I lived in Scotland I'm sure I'd eventually have the necessary breakthrough. I have two Scots friends here, and they are pretty easy to understand, but I think that's because they themselves have modified their speech some.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote:Quaver, and the rest of that nomenclature. But I know of it (only in passing, to be sure), so it was recognisable.

If that's what you meant.
Exactly what I meant! :)

Although I teach both European and American nomenclature because they're both useful. European because it's standard here and American for the light it shines on some things ('see that 4/4 time signature, it's literally four quarter notes') as well as its frequent use in drumming/rock-orientated books even here (with 4-beats, 8-beats, 12-beats, 16-beats etc. tying in nicely).
The Scots tongue can be a real challenge for me.
Whereas I'd say that was English spoken with a Scots accent as opposed to 'Scots tongue' per se! :wink:

Master of nine?
Christophe

Post by Christophe »

chas wrote:Henry VIII is often credited with writing the lyrics to Greensleeves, presumably to an extant tune. Assuming that is correct, or at least that the song arose during Hank's reign, that's an argument for the air being pre-Elizabethan.
Or maybe Henry VIII wrote the lyrics before the tune was composed, as a foreseeing king ahead of his time.
benhall.1 wrote:In the meantime, I'm with Peter and the Guru - I hear the tune as (based on a tonality of A) having F#s rather than Fnats.
I suggest playing both simultaneously as a gentlemen's agreement.
Peter Duggan wrote:See this? That's how it's played today for ABRSM Grade 3 Tuned Percussion (IMHO very soft at the grade!) and how I'm teaching it (on more sustaining metallophone rather than the videoed xylo)
Here we are : some kind of evolution of the lithophone....

It took me a little while to check the various versions of Greensleeves I have ( mainly on the lute or on the guitar ), and here are the results :

F or its equivalent : The Broadside Band , Paul 0'Dette , Julian Bream , Alfred Deller , Nigel North w. C. Hogwood, Konrad Ragossnig .

F # or its equivalent : Alfred Deller Consort , Ralph Vaughan Williams orchestral fantasy, John Coltrane .

None : Baltimore consort ( plays different variations of the first part of the tune ).

Thelonious Monk plays a F# Maj7 b5 sus4 add13 which doesn't help.

Interestingly, A. Deller has recorded both F and F# versions. I admittidely prefer the F versions because I mainly listened to lute versions, and I was taught this version on the guitar. My favorite one is certainly Jeremy Barlow's Broadside Band, a part of their " Beggar's opera " record, which I highly recommand.

* Attribution of quote edited - Mod
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:
The Scots tongue can be a real challenge for me.
Whereas I'd say that was English spoken with a Scots accent as opposed to 'Scots tongue' per se! :wink:
I think you know that I know the difference. :)

Then I will clarify that the accent was so thick to me that even if it was English and not Scots per se, I couldn't tell. So I see I used the words "Scots tongue" too freely. In retrospect, "Scottish speech" would have been the better choice. If I hung out with him I'd eventually get a grip on it.
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Christophe wrote:Thelonious Monk plays a F# Maj7 b5 sus4 add13 which doesn't help.
Where's the 'Like' button when you need it? (For you, Christophe, as much as Thelonious!) :)
Nanohedron wrote:I think you know that I know the difference. :)
Aye... see that winky smiley? :wink:

Master of nine?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Christophe wrote:I suggest playing both simultaneously as a gentlemen's agreement.
Christophe, t'es vachement drôle (et un peu méchant). :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Christophe

Post by Christophe »

MTGuru wrote:
Christophe wrote:I suggest playing both simultaneously as a gentlemen's agreement.
Christophe, t'es vachement drôle (et un peu méchant). :-)
C'est mieux que l'inverse.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:...it seems extraordinary that folk who'd be throwing their hands up in horror at the thought of sole, definitive ('actual' if you like) settings of trad tunes can be pleading this for 'Greensleeves'!
Not me. I'm apostate.

I'm sure I have a preferred version, and Ben and Duggan would probably decry it. BUT: it was the one I grew up with. All others are impostors. :D
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Apologies for thread drift, however, if I listen to the xylo its got to be with people that got some rhythm. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYuOZnAqQCY
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Since I'm a certified linguistics expert, allow me to help with a transcription:

Greed sleaze, gray three chit oriole. Hum a plate slowly, a prolladoo lie by lie. A tin, sex hate, come bum tying. Sew a mean sirrah sex quavers in Dabar. Ann weaver pick up into the chewing. So we plane the sex quaver off the first bar. So Hugo, one two three four five.

You're welcome.

Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

THAT'S IT!!!

Except I'm pretty sure he pronounced "first" as "farce". :wink:
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Nanohedron wrote:THAT'S IT!!!
I know. :twisted: If our Scottish and other British friends want to know what it sounds like to an American ear, that's pretty close.