Greensleeves

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Feadoggie
antispam: No

Re: Greensleeves

Post by Feadoggie »

chas wrote:I was just thinking of getting one and playing along with my old Augustus Pablo LPs.
There you go. Or keeping up with Jon Batiste, playing the Hooters hits, etc., etc..

My son recently "borrowed" my old Hohner. So I won't be seeing it again for a long while. I'm looking for a deal on a Suzuki Pro 37 in its place. Cheaper than a refurbished Harmonium.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Feadoggie wrote:Elizabethan? Nah. Or maybe this. I just can't figure out where you blow into it.
Actually, you may be able to reorient the keyboard and blow into the iPhone mic to play. The whistle app worked that way. I'm not sure in this case, but maybe Michael Eskin will chime in, since he wrote this Airboard app, too.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

MTGuru wrote:but maybe Michael Eskin will chime in, since he wrote this Airboard app, too.
I thought Michael Eskin might have been the author. I kind of remember him having played a role in the Hohner button box apps.

I hope we have not scared the OP away with this thread drift. Greensleeves can be a nice motivation to learn some useful techniques on the whistle.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Christophe

Post by Christophe »

I like the idea of Greensleeves, and maybe other well-known tunes, as being pre-elisabethan and being carried along the time, while being adapted to every historical period musical standards. Some tales seem to be as old as humanity. Maybe the original version was played some millenaries ago on some kind of lithophone. In dorian mode, or in magdalenian mode, who knows....
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

This from Wiki:
In Shakespeare's The Merry Wives of Windsor, written around 1602, the character Mistress Ford refers twice without any explanation to the tune of "Greensleeves" and Falstaff later exclaims:

Let the sky rain potatoes! Let it thunder to the tune of 'Greensleeves'!

These allusions indicate that the song was already well known at that time.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Christophe wrote:on some kind of lithophone ... in magdalenian mode
:lol: :thumbsup:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I chose my words carefully and said "the actual tune as normally played nowadays".

I made no claim that there exists any one and only 'correct' version, and I made no claim of historicity for the version normally encountered nowadays. The former is the domain of the pedant, the latter the domain of the historian. I'm coming from the perspective of a musician who has to play along with other musicians.

That alternating 7th is often heard in Elizabethan music and old folk tunes and gives a lovely distinctive character to Greensleeves. Something is lost when the tonality is altered, whatever the reason.

The sea shanty Old Maui also has an alternating 7th, though reversed, it being sharp on first appearance and flat on the cadence. To me that tune sounds quite old, partly for that reason. It would lose that feel if the 7ths were all played the same.

BTW I'm disappointed that Highland piper's insistence on playing a sharp 7th, rather than the correct flat one, on the final cadence of Flower Of Scotland has now spread to the entire stadium at Murrayfield, as I heard last weekend at the Six Nations match. That same weekend I was playing pipes for Scotland at the USA Sevens and I play that note properly. It's quite easy to do so on the pipes and it's inexcusable for the pipers at Murrayfield to ruin that song.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Henry VIII is often credited with writing the lyrics to Greensleeves, presumably to an extant tune. Assuming that is correct, or at least that the song arose during Hank's reign, that's an argument for the air being pre-Elizabethan.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

pancelticpiper wrote:That alternating 7th is often heard in Elizabethan music
Is it? Can you give any references for this or other examples?

In the meantime, I'm with Peter and the Guru - I hear the tune as (based on a tonality of A) having F#s rather than Fnats. The natural Fs just sound wrong to me, and, I'm guessing, would to most here in the UK. It's not "normally played [that way] nowadays" as far as I'm concerned.

In contrast, the "Flower of Scotland" thing doesn't bother me at all. It's a very recent composition - 1965? - and, you know, these things change.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

benhall.1 wrote:In the meantime, I'm with Peter and the Guru - I hear the tune as (based on a tonality of A) having F#s rather than Fnats. The natural Fs just sound wrong to me, and, I'm guessing, would to most here in the UK. It's not "normally played [that way] nowadays" as far as I'm concerned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAuYkxhfc-I

See this? That's how it's played today for ABRSM Grade 3 Tuned Percussion (IMHO very soft at the grade!) and how I'm teaching it (on more sustaining metallophone rather than the videoed xylo) for National 5 Music right now. Same as Vaughan Williams, how I expect it to go and how I like it.
In contrast, the "Flower of Scotland" thing doesn't bother me at all. It's a very recent composition - 1965? - and, you know, these things change.
But agree with PCP on this one (Flower of Scotland requiring the flattened seventh).
pancelticpiper wrote:I'm coming from the perspective of a musician who has to play along with other musicians.
So am I! :wink:
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Peter Duggan wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAuYkxhfc-I

See this? That's how it's played today for ABRSM Grade 3 Tuned Percussion (IMHO very soft at the grade!) and how I'm teaching it (on more sustaining metallophone rather than the videoed xylo) for National 5 Music right now. Same as Vaughan Williams, how I expect it to go and how I like it.
I agree with your basic point ... but man, for a percussionist, yon fella hasn't got very good rhythm, has he? :o
Peter Duggan wrote:
But agree with PCP on this one (Flower of Scotland requiring the flattened seventh).
Don't get me wrong, Peter, I prefer the flattened seventh on that last bit - it is how it was written after all - it's just that, being recent, it strikes me as being still pretty malleable, and who knows? I might like it another way one day. Greensleeves, however, has been the way it is (same way you hear it) for further back than I can remember, or even my long-dead parents would have remembered. And before ... and before ... so it hurts more when it's changed, especially when it's changed for no good reason.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

benhall.1 wrote:I agree with your basic point ... but man, for a percussionist, yon fella hasn't got very good rhythm, has he? :o
Never heard that clip before forgetting to check the Grade 3 book at school today and Googling it when I got home... but, no, considering his reputation, I was surprised and still am on hearing it again!
Greensleeves, however, has been the way it is (same way you hear it) for further back than I can remember, or even my long-dead parents would have remembered. And before ... and before ... so it hurts more when it's changed, especially when it's changed for no good reason.
Quite! Although I'd still grit my teeth to play it another way if needs must accompanying someone who couldn't/wouldn't change...
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:I agree with your basic point ... but man, for a percussionist, yon fella hasn't got very good rhythm, has he? :o
Never heard that clip before forgetting to check the Grade 3 book at school today and Googling it when I got home... but, no, considering his reputation, I was surprised and still am on hearing it again!
Isn't it fair to suggest that he was basically "getting through it" as an expedient to teaching the melody itself? He wasn't really performing in the standard sense, so I think he might be forgiven the impatience. That said, I'd prefer to be spot-on whatever the case, myself. Call me a pedant. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote:Call me
You're a pedant.

:D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

And one more thing: I was laughing at myself because I couldn't understand a word he said in his intro, other than "quaver". The Scots tongue can be a real challenge for me.